Sign in to follow this  
Amateur

Sleeping Pad

I like the double nest. It's big enough that you can lay diagonal and not be so ?bent the wrong way?. I have bad knees, so hyper-extending them is bad. It holds more weight. Lots of good things about it. *Asked the hubs about it to make sure I was thinking of the right one while writing this and he shot off a long list that I'm gonna let him put on here for you.* I also like that it's light and you'll never lose the stuff sack.

Why I won't use it for sleeping in overnight is, again, bugs and rain. I thought about buying the bug net, but it looks awkward, and a tarp, but then it would need it's own separate suspension. Also, it's really only good for warm weather unless you add in an under-quilt. Any breeze at all will suck away all warmth, even on a warm day.

Love the double nest! I bought it because it's plenty wide to 'sit' sideways on and chill and the 400# load limit was nice. I also picked up the slap straps to make hanging faster and easier, and they allow me to hang my backpack as well! Added some lightweight, climbing carabiners and I haven't looked back.

Hang it up, and hop in. Two people is possible, but compressed. I like to weight the storage pocket and then flip the sides over top of me at night- seems to defeat most bugs and retain some heat. The wind underneath will suck away your heat, under quilts were designed to defeat that problem, but I need to experiment with a emergency blanket this year. I've hung a foot off the ground on Manitou Island, MI, and my preferred height of about 5'. The lower you are the better the chance of critters waking you up. :)

I sleep on my back most of the time, straight legged and crossed. Slept on my side when the mood strikes, in the fetal position, cause that's how I'm comfy... Even at home. Curious- anyway.

I love my hammocks, and encourage everyone to try them!

Sorry for the subject divergence.

I love my hammocks, and encourage everyone to try them!

Sorry for the subject divergence.

not at all gilla. i love hearing this review. i was pretty set on the double nest.

i think they will fit right in to my outdoors life style. are the slap straps a must at first or can you hang it w/o them?

You can hang without them. The slap straps are just easier/quicker to put up, tree friendly, and have a loop every foot. If you get them, get the longest ones. We have the shorter ones and have found some trees to be too big around for it. If you don't get them, get strong rope. He's had rope stretch until his butt was scraping the ground.

Whatever sleeping pad you choose, I suggest using a Bivvi Bag over your sleeping bag as well. If you put your sleeping pad inside your Bivvi bag you will be more insulated than if the pad was external. The Bivvi bag will also waterproof you and most have build in mosquito nets.