Sign in to follow this  
___

Common Pitfalls of new preppers

Not acquiring the skills needed to survive or practicing with the gear bought. Owning gear and not knowing how to use just gives a false sense of security. Equipment breaks or wears out and not having a primitive skill to replace it only prolongs the inevitable. As several others have stated, having secondary and third tier items for the same purpose is tantamount to survival, but having one that is primitive allows easy improvisation; i.e., firestarters- 1) bic lighter, 2) waterproof matches, 3) "Blastmatch", 4) knowing how to make a hand or bow drill.

Purchasing items for their "looks" instead of practicality.

Great thread Auto.

i think your correct on this. i also think the new folks will get taken in by the buzz words like

"tactical" and "military grade". i mean really, how much difference is there in the $89.00 backpacks and the $250 backpacks? just buy from a well known company like kelty or rei for example.

i think as the public is starting to prep the prices will go up and up, while the quality either stays the same or drops.

the 2 big ones that get me are the "tactical flashlight" and and the knife. i can go on and on about those two alone.

Wow these are so true, fell into a few of them myself. Great Idea Auto I would also add organization to the list. You could have all this great gear and a lot of food and water laying around but if you can't get it and go in under a couple of minutes (or less) what good is it. (my current problem)

I have a wonderfull wife,she is a BAG lady.lol

I have so many back packs to choose from.Its easyer to live gray if you dont stick out.I have a leather Brief case/lap top carry that has some basic BOB things in that I have in the trunk,so start to think out of the box it can save you money.

I think a very common beginning prepper pitfall is not to follow the priority order of the three "S"'s of prepping:

1. Shelter - whether bugging-out or bugging-in you have to have a roof over your head of some sort.

2. Sustenance - this is food and water. The amounts and type should be dictated by your personal circumstances.

3. Security - you have to protect yourself, your family or survival clan, and your possessions.

Another prepper pitfall and one that I've fallen into is that "you can't do it alone". As you prepare you must recruit. The size and skills of your survival clan are again dictated by your circumstances. Looking for survival partners after TSHTF will just complicate your ability to survive.

Autonomous,

Good thread, sir. I think the number one pitfall is not knowing WHAT you are prepping for. Before you start buying stuff for the 7th month of grid down, you really have to live through the home invasion robbery next week. I know I sound like a broken record but prep for the most likely thing first. What is most likely? Depends on where you live. Rarely does it require fully tricked out space guns, digital camo, and combat boots. What it does require is food, shelter, clothing and knowledge. Perhaps a personal defense firearm (handgun or shotgun) and the skill to use it.

It amazes me the number of folks who think they can light a fire with a single match because the did it - ONCE! I also agree with the 3 is 2, 2 is 1, and 1 is none philosophy. That is why I have 4 means of starting a fire that I KNOW I can make work consistently. This applies to everything. A BOB you can't carry is worse than useless. A first aid kit you've never opened is a false sense of security. A water filter that you don't know how to use may give you water you THINK is safe but isn't.

Start prepping for the most likely event in your area. When you are ready for that, move on to the next most likely. By the time you get to item 3 or 4 you have a solid foundation and can start filling things out for the long term.

i think your correct on this. i also think the new folks will get taken in by the buzz words like

"tactical" and "military grade". i mean really, how much difference is there in the $89.00 backpacks and the $250 backpacks? just buy from a well known company like kelty or rei for example.

i think as the public is starting to prep the prices will go up and up, while the quality either stays the same or drops.

the 2 big ones that get me are the "tactical flashlight" and and the knife. i can go on and on about those two alone.

True. Very, very True.

hell I get all my gear from

goodwill salvation army resale shops and we have a plethora of garage sales and flea markets

I would have been a great Arab trader I would rather haggle over a deal than pay retail

and everything I buy looks new in in fact some have the price tags still on them.

there are a few things that I just could not find but after getting all my sh*t cheap

I can afford the stuff I want.

hell I get all my gear from

goodwill salvation army resale shops and we have a plethora of garage sales and flea markets

I would have been a great Arab trader I would rather haggle over a deal than pay retail

and everything I buy looks new in in fact some have the price tags still on them.

there are a few things that I just could not find but after getting all my sh*t cheap

I can afford the stuff I want.

same here snake. i love to stike up a good deal as long as its a win/win.

How about BUGF@KED bear ultra grills finding uses 4 karabiners entrails and dodgybits.

and the bic lighter is for bad times if you got time and sun for your

magnifier and a magnesium fire starter as well as a bow drill a person needs to use them wearing out the easiest is LAZY candle wax on cotton char

cloth 9 volt / a battery diesel method of making fire "compression"

blah blah, and will lead to your being

screwed as when you need it you will have wasted it.

I have many ways to make fire some I wont speak of because they are

usable for other means we have to use common sense it posting

somethings

Definitely the fire making implements. I understand people who start with a bic lighters which if used sparingly could get you 30 or more fires. But the people who just have the flint and steal... I mean yeah it's waterproof but it does run out on top of the fact that matches, paper matches, lighters, magnified glasses and steel wool/9 volt battery (ok the last one is pretty much one time use) are way easier under stress.

Some times the bear grills ultra survivalist way of doing things (Can we get a better term for that? BGUSW? I don't know something catchy.) isn't the easiest way.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I think one big mistake made by a lot of new preppers is they get their BOB out ready and then take their time on getting other things ready. It's like if their is the least little thing happens their leaving and hitting their BOL. I'm bugging in where I have my shelter, all my food, and all my guns, and then if it gets so bad that they are rounding up people or something like that I will bug out.

I'm old and don't really want to spend the rest of my life sleeping under a tarp in the woods and having to eat bugs to stay alive.

Low key is the way to go for as long as you can

Guest survival101

There's something new to learn from this site and the folks here every day. It's very easy to become enthusiastic and almost super-charged when you discover others with the same goals and interest, who have knowledge and are willing to share it. Here's to the humbling effects of wiser minds. Now, those of us newbies just have to take the torch...err, bic lighter... and run with it. In the most discreet way possible. BTW, right now my preps are for nuclear accident (core exposure) or epidemic. Those seem most likely to me. We won't talk about zombies. Thumbs up guys, keep writing.

there are 2 things that concern me

1. an all out hack assault on the grid

2 an EMP on the grid solar flares not so much but it is a minor possibility.

monetary well it is scary but we can function through as long as we act like human beings

and not start blaming everyone yes there are many responsible but when the ship is sinking

it is better to concentrate on plugging the hole.

and that is the problem in a polarized society every group race and religion could use it as a reason

to take it out on each other and that will be a travesty the civil war there was not anything civil

about it 22,000 dead in one battle consider the movie shindler's list they figured the few he saved

have created a million people so carry that logic forward.

If our men who died in war 37,000 in Korea 40,000 vietnam and how many others and we were

not allowed by our own government to win or even given a chance as the rules tied our hands and so many other problems and reasons.

and we are doing it again and again..

if they had families this would be a much different America, than having to have immigrants subsidize

our economy and then add all the aborted children we are paying a price for stupid violence

it seems we will never learn we have given our country away because there are a bunch of whore

mongers sluts and greedy vermin we allow to go in and out of prison like its a country club

watch the news a convict was found working for the government AGAIN and how many child

molesters have more than three convictions I could go on forever but you get the idea.

hell if things get any worse the rotary club and the better business bureau will start dukeing it out.

getting into prepping is more about saving money as buying bulk saves

next is to be self sufficient it has been stated by some here that agency's

have made statements of longer duration of emergency preparedness, this should make your spine tingle if not then your beyond help,

your a beggar "please help" just make a cardboard sign so you can stand

on your roof as the Governor fly's by.

and what is wrong with helping your self

or not being a burden on neighbors and using services the elderly

and disabled could use.

I buy what I like to eat I do not want to

stand in a line and given crap or a box lunch baloney sandwich and

a piece of fruit and a bottle of water I have seen this.

It takes time to set up better services it took 4 to 5 days to get

ice here in Texas.

water was out for 8 days no power some people south of here

were without power for over a month.

Add home damage or having to

stay else where you need to have food fuel water and money in a normal

situation to get out.

the freeway was a parking lot of stranded vehicles

out of fuel no stations open because no power.

no water remember no power so they are on the side of the road among

strangers thousands of them when you flee in fear and have no BOB

water and fuel your leaving yourself open to severe distress and danger

on the road and it is always possible you may have to leave.

Joplin Missouri has not had a major disaster in many years if you were

able to leave if your vehicle was without emergency supplies you had

nothing a duffle bag full of items and a bob would help get to shelter

and or other family or friends and what about work if your job site was

destroyed it can happen anywhere anytime to anyone.

IMHO

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Evaluate your equipment seriously. Not by what looks or sounds cool but by how useful it is. Be honest with yourself in the assessment. That 16x55 variable super scope with the bells and whistles is not much help if your surroundings are mostly woods with very little clearing not open plains. That knife may look cool, but can it hack the program when it is called for. The most expensive item may not be the best. Understand what it is that you are going to do bug in or bug out. What your options are if you have transportation or if you do not. If you will be on foot you will need a different set up than if you have transportation. If you have transportation and do not have to backpack then you can carry extras. Keep it Real.

Not having a clear idea of what it is you are preparing for.

This leads to impulse buying, duplication of effort and wasted money/time. It also makes you look dumb when someone asks you "OK, you bought this surplus 40 man survival raft on eBay...but you live in the middle of the desert....so how does this help you prepare for total economic collapse?"

Guest kevin

prepping for the NEAR future. none of us know the day it'll hit the fan, go long term on everything.

It's looking like the realization of prepping has become apparent. I noticed the online SamsClub is now selling, "long term food storage items". I also think Costco has joined the bandwagon.

Seems like the first thing "some" want to do is run out and buy an armory. JMO

(OPSEC) Hush is the word as far as having people piling up at your doorstep. Several of my distant neighbors know of my skills as a hunter, fisherman and combat vet. No one has any idea of any prepping goings on. I'm not a recluse by any means. However, I do know how right you are Atonomous, about people not

having a clue as to where to even start. I know this when family visits. Some things aren't quite out of the way.

I know they also have began prepping. After years of hearing, "is he nuts or something?" They now call or e-mail with questions regarding material things, have to haves. I'm not quite as crazy as they thought.

1) you must have water!

2) shelter and at least a secondary

3) food

4) a plan

5) weapons are just a pacifier for some and a threat to others. To me they are tools.

If you own one, know how to use it! Practice with it! Know it! Clean it!

Not giving my location away, but I live in a sparsely populated area near a very small town. By choice mind you.

There's streams and woods=fish and game. All I need do is walk out the door.

However, the one thing I do worry about goes with old addage,

"when the SHTF head for the hills"! Now that bothers me!

I am in total agreement with the common pitfalls a new prepper faces.

dr

Edited by desert rat

I see some problems with prepping and not teaching who you are going to be with. Your family members don't have to totally agree with you on your preps but teaching them to use your tools or equipment is a must . I always teach my kids that I'm not going to be around to bail them out if trouble comes ( this is with life not only preps) to be reliant on just me for answers or help is heading for failure. Teaching what to do if a pipe breaks or toilet keeps running , how to start a fire , use / clean / load / safety of guns , how to make water safe to drink , etc. .all the equipment in the world is of no advantage if no one knows how to use them but you.

I'm the new prepper and there is SO much information that I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do first. It's not just myself but my husband and 3 kids between ages 10 and 16 we have to plan for. I am a little lost. We have a very limited budget but have some camping gear as we used to go camping for a week at a time without showers or toilets.

There's so many threads I forget which one mentioned what to do first :confused:

ok lemonmint relax.....breath in.....hold it..........exhale............ok lol.

j/k seriously, get you a couple good books on the subject of prepping.

read those before you do anything so you can get a grip with whats going on

and figure out as a family what your gonna need first. using a good couple books as guides is a

great way to start. dont follow the book to a T, but use it as a guide.everybodies situation is different

but still in a lot of way very much the same. we are all prepping to bring us through the rough and lean times

but your situation and need might be very different from mine and the author of your books.

I'm the new prepper and there is SO much information that I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do first. It's not just myself but my husband and 3 kids between ages 10 and 16 we have to plan for. I am a little lost. We have a very limited budget but have some camping gear as we used to go camping for a week at a time without showers or toilets.

There's so many threads I forget which one mentioned what to do first :confused:

a general outline

water

food

clothes

medicine

fire

tools -knife, firearm etc...

BOV(bug out vehicle)

BOL(bug out location)

It is hard if you do not own your home or a place you can go to that is yours then you need to consider a more compact BOB

If you own {and I do not mean making payments} your home then your in a better position but now you need to

address your proximity to large cities or if the path from cities to you are far enough to weed out gangs & travelers.

if you live in the country and are not concerned with wandering groups then you have a totally different st of issues

you need non powered ways to get water and take care of your crops & animals

your area terrain is very important houses close together are nothing but fire traps and when civilization breaks down

you will have every deviate freak weirdo and nut ball roaming looking for nothing more than a thrill of whatever turns

them on any outlandish thing you have ever heard of will happen because people will think it is the last chance or that

with all the confusion they will not be caught.

If you think it's bad now it is nothing if our society self destructs every hatred evil demonic and destructive force will

explode murder rape you name it one incident was a man threw a child off the roof of a building in the aftermath of katrina

then for a long time the drug dealers fought over turf numerous murders one where a suburban full of teenagers were

all shot to death.

this was a storm not a world wide depression the only reason the 1929 depression did not turn nuts the world just

came out of a war being poor was normal and people knew how to work and farm and wrangle animals and hunt

now we would all be considered wealthy by their standards.

We are to civilized and not versed in how to live off the land even when I was young it was just what we did we did not think

it was odd or out of place.

I fished at least 3 + times a week catfish on one pole crappie on another and a bait cast throwing a lure sometimes run a trot line for catfish but it was a crap shoot you can catch most anything gar, turtles, whatever depends on your bait

sometimes we would catch red ear perch if you found a nesting spot

we hunted at night for coons deer foxes nutria and possums turkey feral hogs ^*((_*%maybe other things we trapped mostly to kill

predators protecting our chickens and rabbits, foxes and possum were considered inedible they are not but I do not eat them.

I remember we would smoke grape vine and pick dew berries and muskadines {wild grapes} and loquats for jelly

cumquat's and may-haw persimmons and while we were doing that we hunted squirrels dove quail

we would find sassafras and dig some small roots and make a home made root beer with it hickory nuts pecans

and wild onions

and all this and go to school help with the garden feed horses cows and we still had to go to the store and we had a job

yeppers a real job I worked 5 days a week in the oilfield we did not have days off we worked 12 on 12 off 7 days a week

we still hunted fished and drank beer and all the other stuff it took a family to keep things going.

we had 2 large freezers and 2 refrigerators and they stayed full of everything and anything

in a world with less it will be hard as hell minimum 14 hours a day a cold drink was 65+ degrees if we did not have Ice

i was lucky we had electric heat, and air conditioning after I was 13

so I did not have to cut wood except hardwood for the bar-b-q pit we had a fireplace we only used it on the holidays.

and we had trucks & equipment and power tools to cut haul and drag and dig although I have dug my share of water line

and sewer line, and hand turn a garden.

if your not getting prepared you ain't got a chance in hell