Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

watches.

This is why I love this forum. I have been prepping for years and I have never thought of a watch. I have just been using the clock on my cell phone. Thank you for showing where I am falling short. A good watch has just been bumped up the list to number one purchase.

I've been sporting a G-shock for years, had one with hands at one time, lost it somewhere on the flight line getting off a c-130, the one I have now is fully digital, they discontinued my old model, I really miss that watch. Been thinking I should get a durable wind up watch, but really don't know much about them, maybe a pocket type watch, not sure yet.

I do have an old watch that has hands and doesn't work and was going to throw it away but threw it in my BOB instead because if I lose my compass I can still use the watch.

Just make sure the hands are at the correct time of day in respect to the sun since the watch is broke. Make a couple practice tries with it checking against your compass. It won't be dead accurate but it will give you general direction.

This is why I love this forum. I have been prepping for years and I have never thought of a watch. I have just been using the clock on my cell phone. Thank you for showing where I am falling short. A good watch has just been bumped up the list to number one purchase.

DesertRat,

Just remember, if your phone is on, it can be tracked! TSHTF and our phones are on for certain times of the day for communications only with the family. Otherwise off to save battery life. If you ever need to disappear, that cell phone is a big red arrow point right to your location, even if you're not using it.

I dont think that a watch is a long term survival need so having one spare battery is fine.

If the real deal SHTF happens and you have a solar watch, well great, but not everyone will and those that do probably will barter them away for something that they really need.

I like Timex and want to keep it simple with digital light up and stop watch.

DesertRat,

Just remember, if your phone is on, it can be tracked! TSHTF and our phones are on for certain times of the day for communications only with the family. Otherwise off to save battery life. If you ever need to disappear, that cell phone is a big red arrow point right to your location, even if you're not using it.

Hehehe,,,,Another one of me!!! What next??? Little d, little rat, originated in the sandbox of southwest asia.

This could get confuseing. LOL!! Go figure >>>>>>

Always got my gps/location "off" on my smart phone Capt.

However, My time piece is a Luminox 3000/3900

Guess I'm gonna have to change my handle..........Hahah, I guess you could call

me "space rat" due to the "space"...LMAO

Edited by desert rat

Hehehe,,,,Another one of me!!! What next??? Little d, little rat, originated in the sandbox of southwest asia.

This could get confuseing. LOL!! Go figure >>>>>>

Always got my gps/location "off" on my smart phone Capt.

However, My time piece is a Luminox 3000/3900

Guess I'm gonna have to change my handle..........Hahah, I guess you could call

me "space rat" due to the "space"...LMAO

ALWAYS have the GPS option off but that doesn't mean you aren't trackable. Your cell phone "talks" to the cell towers at least once a second when it isn't "in use". That is how the towers know which one is to call you when you have an incoming call. That is why you need to turn the phone off in flight. Yes, it can interfere with the plane's electronics but from 30,000 feet you are hitting every cell tower withing a 200 mile radius or so. Interference the towers have to deal with.

The key is if my phone hits 3 towers to decide which one to talk to (every second, remember) anyone at the phone company or with access to the phone company's data, can pin point your location fairly closely. The tower locations are precisely known and arrival time is known down to a few nanoseconds, your location is nailed to around a foot or so. Older towers with slower clocks make the distance larger but you don't need GPS, only the phone number and the time stamp and I have your location ... feel secure?

ALWAYS have the GPS option off but that doesn't mean you aren't trackable. Your cell phone "talks" to the cell towers at least once a second when it isn't "in use". That is how the towers know which one is to call you when you have an incoming call. That is why you need to turn the phone off in flight. Yes, it can interfere with the plane's electronics but from 30,000 feet you are hitting every cell tower withing a 200 mile radius or so. Interference the towers have to deal with.

The key is if my phone hits 3 towers to decide which one to talk to (every second, remember) anyone at the phone company or with access to the phone company's data, can pin point your location fairly closely. The tower locations are precisely known and arrival time is known down to a few nanoseconds, your location is nailed to around a foot or so. Older towers with slower clocks make the distance larger but you don't need GPS, only the phone number and the time stamp and I have your location ... feel secure?

The key is if my phone hits 3 towers to decide which one to talk to (every second, remember) anyone at the phone company or with access to the phone company's data, can pin point your location fairly closely. The tower locations are precisely known and arrival time is known down to a few nanoseconds, your location is nailed to around a foot or so.

Hmmm, I did not know that. This happens also when the smart phone is sleeping CaptBart?? The pings I mean?

Hmmm, I did not know that. This happens also when the smart phone is sleeping CaptBart?? The pings I mean?

We got this anit-terror briefing once for some of us that were taking our leave OCONUS from the sandbox and they talked about this a bit since a lot of times terror groups were working with local government or had access to their assets. As it was told to us, if we were try to escape and evade to an embassy we needed to pull our batteries out of our cells if we had them since they still interacted in some way with the local cell network when turned off.

Not sure if it was true, or just some policy writer in the military being paranoid, but it seems like a small thing to do "just in case". I'd hate to get in a bad way because of a small thing personally.

If it is turned completely off it should not interact. That is what desert rat was doing by pulling the battery. If it is only 'asleep', yep, it is still talking. The "flight" mode on some phones turned off the transmitter so you could go 'flight mode' and 'sleep' and not transmit.

The fact is, if the phone has power, it is talking. The iPhones, Blackberries, etc. are very difficult to turn completely off. It can be done but you better read the manual and know how to do it. That is what the military was taking care of; some GI who didn't know the difference between asleep and off could get an entire unit in really bad trouble.