Sign in to follow this  
Regulator5

Candles for warmth and light

http://www.industrialrev.com/original-candle-lantern.html

The link is for a modern method for ideas.

I'm also looking for links on DIY candle lanterns (the Mountain Man sites did have some) , but have used cans from tuna fish to hold a "tea candle" in a tent. The candle will add warmth in the winter and light. I put a little sand or dirt in the bottom of the can to help absorb the heat from reaching the tent floor. A candle doesn't burn as much oxygen as some other heat sources and yet provides enough heat for a small space like a tent.

Candles are also a faster and easier way to heat a tent than digging in frozen ground to bury coals to sleep over. The biggest drawback is your tent becomes a brightly colored signpost in the woods. You can use natural vegetation to help camouflage the tent and/or look for natural concealment areas to set up camp. Depending on how long you plan to reside in the same area, pitching a tent inside a debris hut or lean to made of natural materials will give more concealment, adds more insulation and provides a windbreak. Plus the natural lean to can be used as the cooking/eating area and use the tent for sleeping or when the need for extra warmth is required.

there used to be a collapsible candle lantern and the flame was in a globe it could be hung from a handle

they gave off enough heat to keep a person from freezing in a stranded vehicle but as you said you have to

be careful of carbon monoxide poisoning tents are porous enough and Have a screen window that can be partially opened so this should not be a

problem..

chemical heat pads are good but do not radiate heat enough and these candle lanterns last 9 to 12 hours

and give light saving batteries

here is a picture of ones like it

http://www.rei.com/product/622044/rei-candle-lantern-painted

http://www.amazon.com/UCO-Candle-Lantern-Brass/dp/B0026XFA5O

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Auto, I agree about open flames, but a candle is something that can be made somewhat easily in the field and placing them in a "candle lantern" encloses the flame. I've used one in a dome tent several times for winter camping (NW Indiana in Jan) and the mesh tops with the rain fly over it was enough to allow air flow.

JMCS, thanks for the links. I posted one, but had alot of company yesterday since I just got home.

brilliant minds think alike LOL

Auto, I agree about open flames, but a candle is something that can be made somewhat easily in the field and placing them in a "candle lantern" encloses the flame. I've used one in a dome tent several times for winter camping (NW Indiana in Jan) and the mesh tops with the rain fly over it was enough to allow air flow.

JMCS, thanks for the links. I posted one, but had alot of company yesterday since I just got home.

Who else thought like you???..lol. I am no where near brilliant; I'm not even sure a dull glow could classify me.

Tis better to light one little candle than to curse the darkness!

Our first Christmas in Germany we went to midnight Mass at a Church that was rebuilt the second time in 1490. The lighting system was the same as the heating system. Candles lining all the walls and flat spaces! It was beautiful but the heating of 3 foot thick stone walls left MUCH to be desired. My breath froze to my nose; it was so cold that we went to the not running bus because it was warmer there than in that beautiful, old COLD church!

Any combustion requires close attention to flame (open or not) and CO/CO2 issues. It would really be embarrassing to survive the collapse of civilization and then die because I forgot to open a flap. The American Indian teepee was a BRILLIANT design for heating and light.

Good thread, thanks.

Edited by Capt Bart

I will check the sites for a "Tin" candle holder.

A DIY could be done.

http://www.ushist.com/home-office-decor_interior-decorating.shtml#item7

This would work ,but make smaller.

The Paul Revere Candle Lantern is made from pierced tin and has a pierced door. It does not have any class panels. This lantern will work well in a windy environment or for walking with. It has a pewter finish. There is a loop on the top so that it can be hung up. Comes in two sizes Large 16" X 5 1/4" (up to 8" candle) and Small 11" x 4" (up to 6" candle).

Now I guess you want me to heat up the shop and cut up some cofffe cans I have saved.LOL we will see.

Edited by 101matt

Good threat, thanks.

Capt, I've used a candle several times and never had an issue; unless it caused brain damage and I just can't tell the difference. The candle is just a much easier method than digging a pit to place hot coals to bury to provide warmth in a frozen enviroment.

I've just found that a mesh topped dome tent, allows enough air flow even with a rain fly attached to not have an issue.

I wouldn't (on purpose anyway) post something that was intended to injure or hurt the user. I even avoid posting alot of my methods of performing tasks as I do not follow many of the safety protocols and warnings.

Edited by Regulator5

i just use the older model of this. best camping light ive ever seen and super duper small.

bright as hell, water proof, and worth ever single penny too.

http://www.riverrockledlights.com/shop/lanterns/

can be found at your local target. for some reason they arent ever in the sports section, they hang with the other flashlights elsewhere.

Edited by ricksconnected

yes they are. ive known a few guys to let theirs go down 10 feet underwater to test the seals. all passed.

i keep mine right here beside my computer believe it or not. thus i can get to it at all times when im home.

oh and reg5, ive mentioned the "streamlight junior LED" light too right?

i swear by it bro. cant do w/o mine. im a flashlight ho anyways. i have dozens.

I have more flashlights than I do fingers and toes.... and that doesn't count the $1 specials for the kids. I have 3 Streamlight flashlights. I had a Surefire, but gave it to my Mom (I didn't like it personally). I got 2 of my Streamlights from the local Snap-On dealer believe it or not. Another good mini light is those Rayovac penlights at Wally world for around $3. They aren't super bright, but the battery lasts forever and they are enough for minor chores and easily carried in a shirt pocket.

I wouldn't (on purpose anyway) post something that was intended to injure or hurt the user. I even avoid posting alot of my methods of performing tasks as I do not follow many of the safety protocols and warnings.

I never thought you would. If I gave that impression you have my heartfelt and very public apology, sir.

Not sure where i read this. Person used a baby food jar. Said it would hold three tea light candles. They made a harness with para cord. If i repeated someone else's post i am sorry.

never have used an open flame in a tent and never will....

yes all things have dangers,so does 0 or 30 below weather.you never went thru military cold weather survival training,or your thoughts might be very different.i have been in pup tent with another person,and candle closed up no problems.if there would be major air problems the candle would dim within 15 minutes.speaking from experience.

hi matt

you could have a problem with glass,i have used glass and from the heat of the candle,crack the glass. once in cold weather it cracked after i blew it out.i would guess the cold air on hot glass.

I have been testing jars.lol and thats one of my conserns,it cracking.

I have been useing tea candles to hold the heat in and not transfering to the glass.

A 4 inch tall glass seams to be the best so far.just got a photo bucket account so Im taking photos now.