Sign in to follow this  
Mike Uher

Who home schools?

Mike,

My wife and I just started homeschooling this year for our 7th grader. Wish we had done it sooner! We're using the "Switched-On Schoolhouse" curriculum from Alpha-Omega Publications. It's Christian-based and very popular in this area. We are doing some of the subjects with their computer software and some with the hardcover books. My daughter seems to prefer the books. She's a motivated girl and it's no problem getting her to do her studies.

Right now, my wife and daughter are traveling in our motor home visiting some of the southwest areas that she is studying in history. I'm jealous! I've gotta stay here and take care of the animals.

If we can be of any help, let me know.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. i know what you mean about doing the mobile history lesson. My dad and I would do that when I was a kid. My last trip with him was to the Niel Armstrong homestead, and the U.S. Airforce musuem in Indiana. When i was younger still, he, and his friend Robert and I went to Shiloh, and about four other battle fields down south. It was alot of fun, and I had a much better grasp of the Civil War than most kids in my class. I will let you know if my wife and i would like help.

We're in our second year homeschooling our son, and we love it! What has been most helpful to me is finding an active homeschool group in our area. Not only do we put together field trips and other learning activities, but we parents can bounce ideas off each other and get a better feel on curriculum we might be interested in from families we can actually see using it.

There are a ton of choices for homeschooling curriculum. You have to find what will work best for you and your child, and every family is different. I joined a couple homeschooling forums to see what others were using and then looked up some reviews and took into account how I thought my son might learn best. As a result, I have picked and chose and pieced things together. I've tried some things that worked great and traded others out that didn't work. No sense pushing something that's not working.

Currently we are using Evan-Moor spelling; another general 3rd grade reading workbook for reading to supplement just getting books and reading them; writing is really informal at the moment as we are working on our thank you notes; Singapore Math; History Odyssey; and I let him choose 3 topics for science this year that I have picked up a few books and other resources for and then we go to the library to fill in questions that come up or look for field-trip opportunities that could be incorporated.

Also, not sure what the homeschooling laws are in Minnesota, but that would be good to look up. Some states have more regulations than others.

I wish you much luck with homeschooling! One of the best decisions we've made.

What has been most helpful to me is finding an active homeschool group in our area. Not only do we put together field trips and other learning activities, but we parents can bounce ideas off each other and get a better feel on curriculum we might be interested in from families we can actually see using it.

I'm glad to hear your getting your kids out and with other kids. I would expect one of the bigger hurdles to be getting your kid out and meeting other kids his age. I guess sports and groups like the one you mentioned can be a big help there.

Getting him around kids really wasn't that hard. Actually, his social calender needs to be pruned back frequently so we can get some actual school work done. Unless you live in a remote area or purposely isolate yourself from the outside world, homeschoolers will socialize just fine. Definitely sports, homeschool groups, youth groups, 4-H, FFA, boy or girl scouts... all great ways to meet new friends. We live in town and there are kids to play with all over the place.

I think the bigger hurdle that we come up on is dealing with people who don't know much about homeschooling, in a negative way. Some think it's weird or our kids will be weird, or that we hate public schools, or that we think we're superior for homeschooling, or that we're depriving the public schools of there funding by not enrolling or gave up on the schools instead of trying to fix them. My personal biggest critic of our homeschooling would be relatives constantly wanting to test my son's knowledge. Oy.

There really are so many, many reasons why people choose to homeschool, and now I have one more reason to add to my list. It's great for the prepping lifestyle too. ;)

Glad it's working out so well for your family too Smokecheck! Also, happy to help out here too, Mike!

My son is almost 3 and my wife and I have pretty much decided to homeschool him. I always did, but she came around recently. I'm glad this thread is on here, thanks to smoke and mrs.BtB for questions answered.

Thanks for all the replies. I am gonna have to get my wife on here to talk to you guys (probably under my profile, so don't get freaked out if I all of a sudden sound like a girl ;)) The more she reads, the more she is glad that we are making the choice to educate our children ourselves. What i am most excited about, is once i am done with school, if we have a chance to go do something, and it is during the normal school times, we can just go, and make it a learning experience. School is where we are, not in a building in a fixed location. It just seems more free. What forums are there that i could sign up for, to start jibberjabbing with other homeschooling parents (aside from this one that is, love you guys, but I would like to find a dedicated site) so as to get more info, faster. Again, thanks.

I didn't but I have many friends and customers that do this. The most important thing that the good ones all told me was that getting a real curriculum guide that will lead you at each level so you build the knowledge pyramid properly with a strong foundation. I have seen the good, the bad and the just God AWFUL in Homeschooling. One started College at 17 and was MORE than prepared. Another can't pass the test to get their GED and is mostly just screwed. 

You need to understand that this is NOTHING like playing school. The three BEST of the people that I know all did it in a very structured way. School Started at a certain time. had breaks at set times and ended at the same time every day. They got the same days off as regular school kids and even had a short Summer Vacation. They had "home work" that they had to figure out for themselves mostly and they were graded on their performance.

One told me that this was VERY important because you are teaching them how to operate in our system. How many jobs are without defined structure. One of the failures that I watched got a good enough education BUT can't seem to hold a job. He just doesn't understand that you are supposed to show up on time. ""What difference does 10 minutes make?" . He also doesn't understand that unlike his Mom, his bosses will not discuss every decision that they make. Life isn't fair, Don't handicap your home schooled child by not teaching this VERY important lesson. Set the rules and demand that they be followed...that is what future teachers, professors and bosses are going to do. They are not going to be like MOM and accept "I overslept." as an excuse several days a week.

Find other homeschool Moms and Dads and arrange for group activities. The best of the homeschoolers, as judged by how successful their kids were as adults, did a lot of this. The parents would jointly hire say a martial arts teacher and the kids would do it together. They also hired a music teacher and several of the kids became quite accomplished musicians. This sort of thing offers them several things. They make friends that have a life that is similar to theirs. They found out that you are not going to get along with everyone but nonetheless have to learn to deal with them. It also is good for the parents in both social ways and in their pocket books. They did Martial arts, Music, Swimming and Dancing all as a group.

Socialization is one of the most important things that schools teach our kids. They learn how to deal different kinds of people both young and old and with older people other than their parents and Grands having authority over them. As a homeschooler you will have to work industriously to offer them this. A friend of mine that had been sort of homeschooled had NEVER met a black person until he was almost 18. It was ROUGH and I'm not sure that he ever became truly comfortable with them. I'm not talking about bigotry, he just didn't understand that they were a little different than anyone that he had met before.

Homeschooling can be the best thing in the world that you can do for your kids...or a great tragedy if they can't take what they learned out into the world as adults and be successful...

I don't mean to sound preachy. This is just a very important and complex subject that is tough to cover in just a few short paragraphs.

I didn't but I have many friends and customers that do this. The most important thing that the good ones all told me was that getting a real curriculum guide that will lead you at each level so you build the knowledge pyramid properly with a strong foundation. I have seen the good, the bad and the just God AWFUL in Homeschooling. One started College at 17 and was MORE than prepared. Another can't pass the test to get their GED and is mostly just screwed. 

You need to understand that this is NOTHING like playing school. The three BEST of the people that I know all did it in a very structured way. School Started at a certain time. had breaks at set times and ended at the same time every day. They got the same days off as regular school kids and even had a short Summer Vacation. They had "home work" that they had to figure out for themselves mostly and they were graded on their performance.

One told me that this was VERY important because you are teaching them how to operate in our system. How many jobs are without defined structure. One of the failures that I watched got a good enough education BUT can't seem to hold a job. He just doesn't understand that you are supposed to show up on time. ""What difference does 10 minutes make?" . He also doesn't understand that unlike his Mom, his bosses will not discuss every decision that they make. Life isn't fair, Don't handicap your home schooled child by not teaching this VERY important lesson. Set the rules and demand that they be followed...that is what future teachers, professors and bosses are going to do. They are not going to be like MOM and accept "I overslept." as an excuse several days a week.

Find other homeschool Moms and Dads and arrange for group activities. The best of the homeschoolers, as judged by how successful their kids were as adults, did a lot of this. The parents would jointly hire say a martial arts teacher and the kids would do it together. They also hired a music teacher and several of the kids became quite accomplished musicians. This sort of thing offers them several things. They make friends that have a life that is similar to theirs. They found out that you are not going to get along with everyone but nonetheless have to learn to deal with them. It also is good for the parents in both social ways and in their pocket books. They did Martial arts, Music, Swimming and Dancing all as a group.

Socialization is one of the most important things that schools teach our kids. They learn how to deal different kinds of people both young and old and with older people other than their parents and Grands having authority over them. As a homeschooler you will have to work industriously to offer them this. A friend of mine that had been sort of homeschooled had NEVER met a black person until he was almost 18. It was ROUGH and I'm not sure that he ever became truly comfortable with them. I'm not talking about bigotry, he just didn't understand that they were a little different than anyone that he had met before.

Homeschooling can be the best thing in the world that you can do for your kids...or a great tragedy if they can't take what they learned out into the world as adults and be successful...

I don't mean to sound preachy. This is just a very important and complex subject that is tough to cover in just a few short paragraphs.

I know. We have a program that lays it all out for me from the supply lists, down to the specific questions to ask, and the actual phrases to say to make the lesson happen. It's from Veritas Press and it's a classical (the old teaching/learning style of the USA before Dewey), Christian home school education. My husband was the one who did all the research to figure out what to get. It's not the cheapest schooling option, but it's always highly reviewed and has great success stories/testimonials. Husband and I are social, involved people anyway, so our kids are too with their peers and adults. We have the kids in weekly home school community too.

I think there are right and wrong reasons to home school. Husband's cousin homeschools because she had a bad social experience in high school and wants to protect her kids = bad reason to home school. We homeschool for a variety of reasons, but one of the top reasons is due to husband's work schedule. He has long stretches at home and since I SAH, we don't have any other schedules to contend with and we can travel.