Sign in to follow this  
Amateur

Sleeping Bags

I haven't really seen a discussion specifically for them and I have a question about 1 in particular. There's a new milsurp store near me and the guy has at the moment, 1 of the military bags with the different layers that snap together and zip and it has the gortex outer shell with it. Does anyone know the going rate for these? I don't know the proper name so I haven't had much luck looking online. Is there a better option for sleeping bags or are these pretty good?

A couple of questions first.

1- What general area of the country do intend to use the bag?

2- How will you use the bag? camping/backpacking/ GOOD.

3- What is the bags insulation? Down or poly?

4- Your $ range.

5- Worst environment you see using your bag in?

6- Price of said bag.

1- What general area of the country do intend to use the bag?

2- How will you use the bag? camping/backpacking/ GOOD.

3- What is the bags insulation? Down or poly?

4- Your $ range.

5- Worst environment you see using your bag in?

6- Price of said bag.

all very important questions too awake.

i like the idea of these bags but in my situation i would rather have a 40deg bag and a extra liner.

i produce a lot of heat when i sleep. the combo i just mentioned has little weight to it and still packs up rather nicely.

Just some info to digest

http://www.thebackpacker.com/beginners/sleepingbags.php

http://www.backpacking-guide.com/backpacking-sleeping-bags.html

found this one on military sleeping bag system

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/military-sleep-system.htm

if you want any info from me just PM me. i have learned a bunch about sleeping bags over the miles of trails. One place i would never compromise is the sleeping bag. The set up i have works for me as well as sleeping at home.

Amateur, the military bags are decent, a little constrictive for me, but warm. Look for "Military Modular Sleep System" or a Wiggy's sleep system (civilian maker). Also remember that a good sleeping mat is as important as the bag, most if not all bags lack any insulation on the "ground side" and you need to add your own.

If memory serves correctly, the military bags (actual, not imitation) are around $400 for the whole system new. You can locate them for sale at www.brigadequartermaster.com and www.uscav.com for comparison prices.

Amateur, the military bags are decent, a little constrictive for me, but warm. Look for "Military Modular Sleep System" or a Wiggy's sleep system (civilian maker). Also remember that a good sleeping mat is as important as the bag, most if not all bags lack any insulation on the "ground side" and you need to add your own.

If memory serves correctly, the military bags (actual, not imitation) are around $400 for the whole system new. You can locate them for sale at www.brigadequartermaster.com and www.uscav.com for comparison prices.

The new milsurp guy I was talking about has a complete one like in the links above for $125 and it's in dang nice condition. But, they're heavy. I'm a human furnace so I won't need both inserts all the time.

1- What general area of the country do intend to use the bag? Southwest Missouri

2- How will you use the bag? camping/backpacking/ GOOD. All Of The Above

3- What is the bags insulation? Down or poly? Poly

4- Your $ range. As Cheap As Possible, But No More Than $100.

5- Worst environment you see using your bag in? Missouri Weather Which Includes Everything Except Hurricanes

6- Price of said bag. The Military System Is $125 locally

Before I buy it, I want to make sure that it is not the best I can buy. I'm not terribly worried about the weight of it. I just want the most for the money. Everytime I get a little cash, I run out and blow it so I'm trying to do the responsible thing and research. lol.

The new milsurp guy I was talking about has a complete one like in the links above for $125 and it's in dang nice condition. But, they're heavy. I'm a human furnace so I won't need both inserts all the time.

If it's genuine, I would say great price. I only used the goretex bivy sack of my issued one. I preferred my poncho liners and the bivy sack personally.

Guest survival101

Today I looked at a Northface Aleutian for $99.00, and have a $25. gift cert. It was rated 20 deg, down, mummy style, and 2lb weight (survival, hiking, primitive camping) in Washington State. Could add a bivy sack. The other remaining one in stock was the display model, they were willing to give $10. off. That about maxes my beginner budget for the two of us, and I could add bivy sacks and line the tent loft with an emergency blanket for reflection of radiant heat to supplement the bags. Not likely we would go any further than the foothills of the Olympics and the Cascades. Any advice? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I prefer down, and the lightest possible carry weight. I want it all, and I want it inexpensively. Yup.

Edited by survival101
add detail

Today I looked at a Northface Aleutian for $99.00, and have a $25. gift cert. It was rated 20 deg, down, mummy style, and 2lb weight (survival, hiking, primitive camping) in Washington State. Could add a bivy sack. The other remaining one in stock was the display model, they were willing to give $10. off. That about maxes my beginner budget for the two of us, and I could add bivy sacks and line the tent loft with an emergency blanket for reflection of radiant heat to supplement the bags. Not likely we would go any further than the foothills of the Olympics and the Cascades. Any advice? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I prefer down, and the lightest possible carry weight. I want it all, and I want it inexpensively. Yup.

lol now remember, if that sucker should get wet, the weight can easy double if not triple. and at that weight it will be hell finding a washing machine/dryer to handle it.

Guest survival101

Thanks. Taken under advisement. Chuckle. I have so much to learn. Rather learn it here than in the field.

If you might need to get out of it in a hurry, Wiggy's offers bags with a center zipper that are supposed to be much quicker to exit. Synthetic fill is a little heavier also, but dries much faster than down if it gets wet. A down bag can take days to dry in addition to the water weight you would have to pack. For a survival situation I'd go synthetic.

Guest survival101

Thanks. Looked at the Wiggy's bags on Forge Survival, but not being familiar with them makes it a hard sell because my budget is really tight. But, if they are really solid equipment, that's good, and ease of exit could be important. As to the synthetics, I took the advice to heart and have started checking those out.

ok heres the poop. 2 schools of thought here.

1, buy once and be done with it.

2, buy something you can afford now, use it and enjoy it, then, upgrade later as funds open up.

i myself opted for door #2. yep tight funds are a SOB arent they lol? thing is, at least i have something now

incase should something pop off even this very second as i write this.

Before I buy it, I want to make sure that it is not the best I can buy. I'm not terribly worried about the weight of it. I just want the most for the money. Everytime I get a little cash, I run out and blow it so I'm trying to do the responsible thing and research. lol.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Remember that your sleeping pad is important as well. I use a Big Agnes insulated sleep pad and a reflective emergency tarp(cold weather). I can sleep as well our doors as i can indoors. Imo sleep will be very important in a shtf situation. You will need all your factualities at full power.

I would be cautious with down in wet environment. Manufacturers are working on down systems that dont get wet or dry quickly. If it doesnt dry quickly your in for some rough nights.

Guest survival101

okay, have a question. i haven't had a sleeping bag in years. i know the mummy type are considered best for heat retention. but, is there still a (quality) bag system where you can zip two together so you and your spouse or SO can share body heat?

okay, have a question. i haven't had a sleeping bag in years. i know the mummy type are considered best for heat retention. but, is there still a (quality) bag system where you can zip two together so you and your spouse or SO can share body heat?

Survival101, many of the rectangular bags can be zipped together. Check REI and the backpacking links that awake and the others have posted on the threads for comparisons and features. I prefer the rectangular bags personally and I use my 2 poncho liners (Woobies) for added warmth. Even adding a lightweight fleece sleeping bag inside can add warmth, but weight must also be considered as every ounce adds up to a final weight of your BOB.

Survival101, many of the rectangular bags can be zipped together. Check REI and the backpacking links that awake and the others have posted on the threads for comparisons and features. I prefer the rectangular bags personally and I use my 2 poncho liners (Woobies) for added warmth. Even adding a lightweight fleece sleeping bag inside can add warmth, but weight must also be considered as every ounce adds up to a final weight of your BOB.

The light weight fleece bags are great. Good summer option. They will add 10 to 15 degrees to your winter set up. If you sleep cold you can also wear a boggin/beanie cap on your head. Helps a lot. But you will have a bad hair day after wards.

pilothawk,

welcome to the forums.

reg5 thats what i did. being so big and tall my bag options were pretty limited with my budget.

so i knew its better to have something now so i bought a coleman bag (40deg) and a fleece liner bag.

i put off major heat when i sleep and also opted for the rectangle bag because i tend to want to spread out when i sleep and i also need room for the beagle dog. so i ended up with a very light weight cheep coleman bag and will save my pennies to up grade later. having a extra bag around the house wont kill me either ya know?

I bought a Coleman 10 degree bag for $42 at Wallyworld. I also have my 2 poncho liners and 3 army wool blankets...lol. Also, a good sleeping pad is worth their weight in gold, especially in cold weather. I like the inflatable pads as they can double as a raft for water crossings if need be. I prefer floating my gear so I don't have to carry it in the water...lol... "work smarter, not harder".