Sign in to follow this  
MjeanM

Gear for your Pet

So I know, for the most part, everyone on here is set for their personal BOBs at least on a basic lvl, but I was wondering what everyone has set aside for their dog(or other pets).

I was looking at the earthquake kits for my dog just for bare minimum needs, but im not sure its necessary.

Our dog has his own bag set up. We've set up an Outward Hound backpack with collapsible food and water bowls, extra leash/collar, three days worth of food/treats, and a couple of bottled waters. We also keep a copy of all his medical/shot records, a flashlight, and poo bags in it.

Some may be concerned about the amount of weight in the bag, but trust me, he's weighing in at 75 pounds now. He doesn't seem to have any problems with getting around with it on, even when we have taken him for extended walks with it on.

My wife and I looked into some of the prepackaged bags for our animals, but decided that putting together something on our own helped us to make sure the durability of the equipment we included was better than what seemed to be in some of the prepackaged bags.

Our cat has his own bag as well (obviously not to be worn) with essentially the same set up as the dog, but with a small litter box/litter, scooper, and a couple duplicates of is his favorite toys. He goes in a carrier for BO by car, but if we've got to hoof it on foot he will get transferred to a Sling-N-Go cat sling, which he actually prefers to be in. He likes being held and I think he actually feels more secure in that than when he is in one of the off body carriers, but for when he is in the car he has to deal. :rolleyes:

Edited by CCSir

Hey CCsir, in your experience how stable does that pack ride on the dog? My dog is about the same weight, but jumpy and springy when we get out of town so I wonder how well something like that would ride on him. Also, how durable has it been, I'd probably end up using it quite a bit for when he and I go out on weekends in the sticks together. I don't know about you but I hate getting stuff that seems like a good idea, but turns out to be unusable for one reason or another.

Hey CCsir, in your experience how stable does that pack ride on the dog? My dog is about the same weight, but jumpy and springy when we get out of town so I wonder how well something like that would ride on him. Also, how durable has it been, I'd probably end up using it quite a bit for when he and I go out on weekends in the sticks together. I don't know about you but I hate getting stuff that seems like a good idea, but turns out to be unusable for one reason or another.

Vicioustom,

Actually it rides pretty well on him. We had to spend some time and make sure that both sides weight was distributed evenly, but he doesn't mind it on him at all. If your dog is "spring loaded" then you may have trouble keeping it on him at first until you get all the straps adjusted in just the right way. As for the durability, so far so good. There are a couple of snag marks on it from him rubbing up against some trees while he's walking but nothing that would cause me any concern. He's had it for a little over a year now and it gets used for everything from going hiking to trips to the families houses.

There were actually some packs on line that I looked at that seemed to be (maybe) a little better in quality, but were two and three times as much. I liked the size of the outward hound one, and I was able to find it locally.

Hope this helps

Thank for filling me in, it's hard to argue with the price of it, I'll have to go pick one up and torture him with it now (in his eyes anything that clips to or hangs off of him is a dogie torture implements).

You may find it helpful to get him accustomed to wearing it with nothing in it first and then gradually adding stuff too it.

Strangly my cat is very quiet whenever there is a new noise in the hall of my apartment building. He also always perks up and looks at where new sounds are comming from before i can hear them. that seems like a useful thing to have in a companion. Ofc I know that under certain conditions it may not be feaseable to bring him with me, but as long as i can i will. I honestly think itd be harder to decide on what to do with him than to kill anyone.

Good posts, I need to getnwith it, and get our two German Shepherd Dogs their own packs and water carriers. I know they can handle the weight as one of our grandsons, (3) rides them both like a jockey.

I'm not much of a "fan" for having a cat as a pet, unless it's a mountain lion. That would be a cat I could respect, good for sentry duty as well....I think, perhaps we could get it to hint for his own food as well instead sizing us up.

I'm not much of a "fan" for having a cat as a pet, unless it's a mountain lion. That would be a cat I could respect, good for sentry duty as well....I think, perhaps we could get it to hint for his own food as well instead sizing us up.

Cats are always good for keeping the rodent population down whether it be inside or outside. The rodent population will skyrocket if it all goes down hill.

Just a thought for ya. I understand that some people just don't like 'em but I think they are invaluable in a survival situation.

Edited by CCSir

you just haven't run your dog enough. He /she is probably trying to throw the pack off. pack it upe evenly on both sides, attach it to the dog and walk dog with leash at first then adjust as necessary. I found that it works best when first training the dog to get them tired from a long run first. Put it on the dog every time you go for a walk with him/her. keep the weight constant and put the consumable stuff in your pack so that your load will get lighter

I remember making a dog pack for a Queensland Heeler. I used some nylon Campmor puches and a horse halter. She carried her food and collapsible bowls and got used to it. Later in the first season I added a small hatchet and a first aid kit. The trick was the same as horses, balancing the load.