Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

Good survival set-up, to close to a major highway. Ideas?

I'm pretty new to this forum, but have been prepping for some years now. I have a situation I'd like to get some honest serious opinions about.

I live in a agricultural area with the best neighbors anyone could have for several miles in all directions. We have a tight knit community where we all pitch in to help each other, and trade labor and resourses between us. While only 3 of the families would consider themselves preppers, we all have livestock, gardens, fruit trees, etc. Everyone in the area I'm considered was raised in a similar environment, or has adusted to it and nobody is afraid of hard work or hardship. I'm not saying it would be easy, but we would have adequate skills and resources to do well as long as a disaster didn't wipe out our land and stock. Anyway, for the sake of the post, let's pretend that the 10 mile radius I'm talking would be fine if we were left alone by large groups of outsiders.

Now for the bad part of the equation. We have a major interstate highway within 2 miles. The exit to us is on a long stretch of highway between sizable towns and with nothing to really draw attention. There are 3 exits total in the 10 mile area, one of which has a truck stop. All the side roads leading away from the highway are decently maintained gravel. There is a town about 30 minutes from us with a population of around 125,000 that has a fairly high violent crime rate. There is also another town 90 minutes from us with a population nearer 500,000. Both towns are along the interstate highway.

My question is what I can do to improve our chances of being able to bug-in without being over-run by the hordes leaving the cities? I have an effective way figured out to block the bridge on our road to access from the interstate so people can't drive up it, but that doesn't protect us from people coming the back way off the other exits. That and keeping a good BOB bag and kit that can quickly go in the vehicle are the best ideas I've come up with. The neighbors and us are scattered to far, and to few, to mount an effective defense against a large efficient group of looters. Everyone owns, uses, and is very familiar with firearms, but there isn't a good way to get to each other's aid quickly enough to defend against a large organized group.

I'm sure my situation isn't all that different from many other peoples. The best idea I've come up with is to block the access from the interstate, and to take in refugees who find us that could help the community while encouraging others to keep moving. Without fuel and feed coming in, our agriculture would become much more labor-intensive anyway and if we could find the right people to join us, we would increase our defensive force as well if looters did arrive.

What am I missing? I'm sure others have considered this as well.

Thanks. Also just to be clear I was not considering blocking the highway, I would be blocking a narrow bridge on our gravel road 300yds from the highway with a D6 Cat dozer. I want the highway open for people to get where they need to go, I just wanted to make it more difficult for looters to come up our gravel road. I figured blocking the road with the Cat and putting a sign up that said "Unknown Illness, area Quarantined" or something like that may keep people heading for an easier location. Anyone who has a reason to come up the road would know how to get in through the pastures.

Catfish,

Check out this book, "Holding Your Ground: Preparing for Defense if it All Falls Apart". There is an Excel spreadsheet available with it that you fill in as you read the book. When you complete it, it will give you an idea where you stand. Location, population density, proximity to highways, etc. are all included.

The sighn works.a neighbor of mine ,while in southern Florida,posted a sighn that read"LOOTERS will Be Shot on site"

We did not have much traffic after a small storm.

I just talked to wife about that book 20 minutes ago and may put on our kindle.She is all about SPREAD SHEETS.I luv teckeys.She loves my cooking.fair trade.lol

pop the bridge your side ya don't want to block the hiway take a couple of dilapidated

vehicles and place dummies in them shoot holes in them make them big and fire em up make

sure the dummies get a good torch bunch of animal intestines and hair and some sewer solids

and it should leave a natural air of devastation and I do not think you will have any visitors for a while

throw down a hand painted sign like from the Beverly hillbillies misspelling and all

if youse gots a reel purty mouth comon down but no wimmin folk tho

and I will bet even the police and military will avoid checking you out well unless that don't ask don't tell

thing gets changed LMAO

P.S. in the movie the green berets the dozer was not was not effective

and it was bigger than a d-6

or they can fire it up and point it and it will auto pilot into something you do not want run over.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

if the land owners bordering the highway are ok with it drainage ditches full of thorn bushes create a very hostile blockade for pedestrian traffic that might try and bypass the blockade. if you want to fully block you back roads knock a few trees over and block the roads the bulldozer should be able to handle that for smaller stuff.

Good ideas.

If I have to block the road with the dozer the starter, key, and battery will be removed to keep it from being moved easily. The creek that pedestrians would have to cross by the bridge is steep, muddy, and full of poison ivy so hopefully that would be a deterrant. I don't know if I could get by planting thornbushes or not.

I ordered the holding your ground book also.

Honeave you discussed your concerns with your neighbours? I'm wondering if there is one farm that might be more easily defensible and therefore become a base camp for everyone?

Edited by femvet59

You can also more than likely increase your small communitys population through friends and relatives. Just about every farming family that I know has some towny relatives. As long as they dont live halfway across the country, they could help build up your defensive capabilitys and work force.

Silos and grain elevators make excellent watchtowers/sniper stations. Pre cut some steel sheets though to put on the floor of the observation post, and on the sides, so that whoever is up there can withstand some return fire. That will also cut the wind if its a cold nasty day, and if you could rig something for shade and to keep the rain off, it would be much more comfortable for whoever is on duty.

Make a plan with your neighbors for mutual support and defense. Set up signals that everyone knows and will respond to. Think along the lines of pre-made signal fires or large alarm bells. If the power is down you dont want to be relying on phones!

Most farms have some farm dogs... TRAIN THEM! A more effecient night time sentry you will not find. They dont need to be attack animals, just be able to let you know when something isnt right. Post signs on the roads (even the ones you block) about trespassers will not be tolerated. But I would recommend also leaving people a way to safely approach also. If someone genuinely wants to barter for something. Maybe have a small flag that they could raise or something, and you could approach them, or whatever you decide. Most farms would have more meat on the hoof than you would ever need. Consider in advance what you would be willing to trade for... gold/silver, ammo, clothing, whatever.

Im sure there are tons of other ideas, those are just a few that Ive thought of since my BoL is in a similar spot to what you describe.

Another thought that I forgot to add: Make a hard room at each farm. If they are attacked, sound the signal, fort up and wait for the neighbors to come help. Just make sure that when you respond, you dont come to thier aid 1, or 2 people at a time. Make sure to rondevous with others before you try to halt any hostile activity by yourself, or with just you and your son.

And by hard room, I mean you need to at -least- double plywood the walls. Better yet would be to sandbag the entire room, and get a steel security door. You want something that can withstand a determined attack for at least 10-15 minutes to give the neighbors a chance to organize and drive off the attackers.

Concertina wire. 55 gallon barrels filled with concrete. a few booby traps. signs saying outsiders not welcome due to virus/epidemic and pointing the way to other larger towns that can help.

Read the book "Lights out", I posted a link to get it free under the multimedia section. That book will give you some good ideas and its a very enjoyable read.

Get some sort of communications contingency plan set up. That means that you and your neighbors should have a walktalkie system or some radio communications set up to communicate if the grid goes down. Not EVERYONE has to have one but at least one neighbor to communicate for at least 3 adjacent neighbors. Make sure you have a way to recharge those batteries (or at least lots of back ups).

Holding Your own is a great book that will give you lots of idea. There is no doubt that you will need to take some people in. Without enough hands to work you won't be able to stop a decent sized attack. People with skills that benefit the group is a good place to start but be careful that someone doesn't lie. Friends and family should be a first choice just because you know them. If possible, get organized before a disaster. Or at least agree with your neighbors on a location and time-frame to meet and begin planning after a disaster. The faster you get to work, the more prepared you'll be when the hordes begin traveling.

I think its a perfectly reasonable request to have neighbors agree on a location and time frame to meet after a disaster for "contingency planning" without them thinking you're crazy. At the very least, if they agree to your house you can have something set-up to get organized quickly.

Edited by exit

If you present yourself as dangerous you limit the people that will approach you to those with a violent and aggressive nature. Plenty of thrill seeking lunatics will be looking for a "challenge". If you present yourself as friendly you'll attract both friendly and non friendly people. However if you disappear, you attract nothing.

If you present yourself as dangerous you limit the people that will approach you to those with a violent and aggressive nature. Plenty of thrill seeking lunatics will be looking for a "challenge". If you present yourself as friendly you'll attract both friendly and non friendly people. However if you disappear, you attract nothing.

I agree Vis, and if it were just my wife and myself and our house in town, thats exactly what we would do. But it is not just us, its a farm thats been in the family for 5 generations. Its 30 close relatives that all either live and work that farm, or live less than 5 miles away. If you add the other close relatives that live within 60 miles it jumps to 40 people.

To me, it simply isnt an option to disappear and leave my family and the farm. Even if its TEOTWAWKI, I have a feeling I will either live or die on that same farm I grew up on. So for me its going to be a short bug out (I suppose more like a bug in). And then see what I can do to help keep everyone safe and alive, since I am the only military in my family.

And of course if you go about 2 miles down the road there is another farm owned by cousins that has roughly the same amount of people to take care of and look out for.

Schoeny, I said disappear not move :P I once had a friend that had a below ground home in the middle of a wooded area. He covered his below ground roof by planting thick grass and bushes on it. He then built a one bedroom uninsulated cheapy decoy house in the clearing nearby.

Its hard to make that many people disappear, and once you add in the livestock, buildings, and equiptment for a large farm, its pretty much impossible.

I have seen a home like you described, and if I had the money I would deffinitely own one also, talk about cool! I remember watching goats grazing on top of the 'roof' of that house, and inside it was just as nice as any other house I have ever been in.

LOL yep, thats a darn compelling alternative! I guess Ill have to start laying in some camo paint preps. And maybe talk to my brother in law about his breeding program, see if we cant breed a green and brown cow. ;)

Yes I can see that would be a problem. In that case might I recommend an alternative ;P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]910[/ATTACH]

Inquiring minds want to know if you can do that with chickens! LOL