Sign in to follow this  
Rod

Jungle Hammock in GHB

My home is about 20 miles from my business. Fortunately, it is pretty much all country with rolling hills. Still, I have to plan on spending at least one night getting there. I used to pack a tarp for the summer and a small tent for the winter in my GHB. Both have their drawbacks. A tarp is marginal in wet weather or with bugs. A winter tent must be at least three-season which means 4 to 6 pounds of weight. If you actually plan on sleeping you need at least a 1" thick 3/4 length ground mat.

A hammock seemed like it would make a good solution but I could not find one I could use year round that had the capabilities of a three-season tent. Then I came across the "Jungle Hammock" from Clark. At $239 it was the perfect solution. About as big as a deflated soccer ball when packed and weighing just 2 lbs 9 oz it fit easily into my GHB. It has a tarp, a bug screen, a windproof screen, and six large pockets built into it's sides. You can even sleep on your side.

Here is a picture of it on a camping trip to Canada.

post-1736-13851497794215_thumb.jpg

I have slept for a more than a week in it and have used it in the dead of winter with snow. It eliminates the ground mat and a light blanket is all you need for the summertime. During winter I put a folded wool blanket in first as insulation and my sleeping bag on top.

Since it is a hammock you can hang it over uneven ground which keeps you off the beaten track. It also leaves no trace behind on the ground. Both are important if you are trying to remain inconspicuous.

I have used this solution several years now and I highly recommend it. Here is a link to Clark's web site: http://www.junglehammock.com/models/ultralight/index.php

Lots of advantages.

Edited by Rod

Awesome find. The only draw-back is the price. I just bought a two person tent for my girlfriend and I for $22.00

Yes it weighs more, takes up more space, and requires sleepingbags + sleeping mats but I barely go camping enough to warrant spend $240.

Hopefully the price comes down over time!

EDIT: I found this alternative on Amazon. Its much cheaper; $130.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Hennessy-Hammock-Expedition-A-sym/dp/B0011KZREC/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Its got great reviews, still a bit too costly for me to consider at the moment, but maybe a little later when I have some money to splurge I'd consider getting it.

Edited by exit
found alternative

exit,

try eno hammocks. you can buy these systems in layers and build it to what you need it to be for lots less.

http://eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/

Great suggestions! I also found one on Amazon. Look at my origional post (I edited it).

try hitting up the army surplus stores or even ebay. i have seen brand new govt. issue jungle hammocks for around $40. I have been dying to get one, now I just might have to.

Another great suggestion. The closest army surplus store is quite a drive for me but I should definitely check it out, haven't gone in 10 years.

there ya have it! all good products im sure. if you get a moment, go to the site i listed and check the "photos" section. its breath taking.

There was one taken in the Everglades (my Bug out location) for a different brand...... simply gorgeous..

But yes I've seen a few impressive pictures that make me want buy one. Its too bad I already invested in a tent. Maybe in a year or two I'll buy a hammock.

hey im gonna get a couple anyways. these things will come in handy just the same for about any outdoors occation. you and your girl might be out on a nature hike or a long walk on the beach and see a perfect spot to um..... "hang out" and you will have your light hammock there with you for just such occation.

see what i mean?

hey im gonna get a couple anyways. these things will come in handy just the same for about any outdoors occation. you and your girl might be out on a nature hike or a long walk on the beach and see a perfect spot to um..... "hang out" and you will have your light hammock there with you for just such occation.

see what i mean?

Lmao! I get your drift yes.

Believe me I want one pretty bad. I still have to wait a while though. Money is an issue. Plus there are some other things I have to buy for my BOB that are more important.

Great post Rod! I currently have just a 1man backpacking tent weighs just under 2lbs but is almost 15 years old, will be looking to 'upgrade' and this definitely is worth looking into

I am recommending the Jungle Hammock based on years of experience using it. It is an excellent piece of equipment. It has served me well in some very difficult weather conditions.

I really value similiar reviews you folks may have. It is the best substitute for my own actual experience.

I am recommending the Jungle Hammock based on years of experience using it. It is an excellent piece of equipment. It has served me well in some very difficult weather conditions.

I really value similiar reviews you folks may have. It is the best substitute for my own actual experience.

yep to that too.

The few times I've been in a hammock, I've busted my ass more than once. Plus now that I'm older and getting up 2-3 times a night makes me think these guys are on the right track...

http://hennessyhammock.com/

wow thats a damn cool demo. i didnt know those hammocks could do that. what a great feature indeed.

welcome to the forums ship.

Found one..

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=43715..

Im always looking for stuff.lol

$46.00 pluss shipping.

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/FA2809

here's another one at $44.95

I bought mine at a surplus store in the Tampa area in the late 1990's. I paid $35 then.

Nice find guys! Those prices are more than reasonable. Are they the same Jungle Hammock as the one posted by Rod?

Just wondering if I can expect a quality difference along with the price difference lol

The few times I've been in a hammock, I've busted my ass more than once. Plus now that I'm older and getting up 2-3 times a night makes me think these guys are on the right track...

http://hennessyhammock.com/

Yea that's the one I posted earlier. On Amazon is $125 or something...

and by the way, Welcome fellow Miami-an!

It'll rock you like a baby. The Clark is expensive, but the North American (model pictured) is a four season hammock. I spent a chilly october weekend in it with two fleece 4'x5' blankets and slept better than I did on the ground. Incidently, it can also be used on the ground if no trees are present.

The new NA offers an attachable underquilt for the foot, but the pockets are a wonder. I don't get out in mine enough, but it's on my Bob.

I have an ENO doublenest in my truck for my ghb accessory, with slap straps to be tree friendly. I like the doublenest because I can lie in a variety of ways and can cover myself at night with the additional material and keep the bugs at bay. It packs down a little larger that a softball and is horribly comfortable.

The only drawback I've experienced is that you lose a lot of heat underneath to the wind, hence the pockets on the Clark.

Love my hammocks, I don't leave home without them, ever.