Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

Pick a job, any job...

So I have a pretty simple question, if you could be in any type of field with any type of job what would it be? I'm talking about achievable goals, not luck goals like a football player or actor. I'm asking because I'm 17, graduated 2 months ago from high school, and if I don't get into college soon I'm going to be a bum and not have the money to prep. Currently I make about $60 a week on eBay which mostly goes to family issues. My Mom is disabled and my step-dad can't find work. So my life is pretty rough, I'm the first one in a few generations to actually graduate.

My worry is, if the government cancels all disability checks were going to be homeless, and in college and homeless isn't a good combo. All I can do is hope that this doesn't happen, and get my Masters ASAP because I can see in 5 years things are bad, but 10 will be a lot worse.

I want a Job that involves prepping to an extent, but one that I can also use at home, and make good money with. I was recently declined into the National Guard because of a slight medical problem, which was a real set-back. But I just want a good, money making, productive job.

I have taken AP biology and got a few credits, I have also taken Psychology and got a few credits.

I'm interested in all fields of work, my mother always said I could be a lawyer, which I would be really good at but it doesn't benefit survival at all.

Lets say I walk up to a strangers house who is clearly a prepper or something. The world is gone to hell and my dollar is worth nothing. "I might be able to give you a place to stay, what was your profession before all this happened?" , "I was a lawyer sir", "Well unfortunately that won't help you or me now, so I'd have to ask you too leave".

I don't want that happening.

I love science, but everything seems like a headache, AP biology was just a giant headache, and I can't tell things apart under a microscope.

"Look at the organelle right there, what is that one?" "I don't know, a lysosome?" "No lysosomes are extremely small, what is it" "Ummmm, mitochondria?" "Yes! You got it, thats a mitochondria". Thanks god for letting me guess right on the 5th try again and again.

I was going to be an engineer but theres all different types when I would rather just be "an engineer".

Chemistry is pretty cool, but Its also a headache. What the eliptical orbit of this one? Oh 5 right? No thats the atomic number..... But I thought they were the same? No thats the atomic mass and the number of protons.... But aren't there 2 things that are the same? No theres actually 3, which is why you shouldnt be sleeping in class.....

Math and Chemistry were so boring, I really couldn't help it, I fall asleep on the spot with 12 hours of sleep and an energy drink. Maybe once I get some ADHD medicine I will do better, but for now I need a field to choose from.

Sorry for the long and slightly off-topic paragraphs.

But on to the point, which job would you pick if you were magically 17 with a diploma?

And which one would you recommend for me?

DefaultHuman,

You problem is not uncommon, actually. It took me 10 years to get my under grad degree and another 5 for grad school. I'm an astrophysicist (yep, a real live rocket scientist - that and a couple of bucks get you a coffee at Starbucks) and I've taught college in the Texas A&M system.

That said, while engineering is cool, most engineering undergrad programs are 5 year programs and are HEAVY into math and science. If I may be so bold, it sounds to me as if you might be more interested in being a naturalist than a scientist. Either that or one of the technical, as opposed to the investigative scientific, fields. What comes to mind rather quickly is EMT, LVN (as opposed to RN), park ranger (federal or state).

In the sciences field, perhaps you might be happier in the so-called "soft" sciences. Anthropology, archeology, paleontology. Not the most applicable to a survival situation but knowledge of how others lived is a good base for building on your future.

The naturalist is a data taker but it is very interesting data. Whether it is wildlife management (a field in itself), forestry, conservation, or any type of survey work the naturalist is a jack of all trades. Darwin was a naturalist - a pure scientist will tell you that the "theory" of evolution is really a hypothesis because it makes no verifiable predictions. Ben Franklin was more of a naturalist than a scientist. He observed and kept really great notes which allowed the theorist to describe the whys of his observations.

If you are thinking of a technical field, then there are quite a few that would be useful. Gunsmith perhaps, welding, plumbing or carpentry. While I like things electrical, electrician might be less useful. A mechanic that can also do metal work could be very valuable. Public health might also be valuable as would any law enforcement training.

Now, to your base question; if I was 17 again what would I do? I think I would probably go into geology instead of physics. Again, you're looking at 4 years of undergrad and 3 to 5 years of grad school but I really like geology as a field and it has a lot of use post TSHTF. I would try to find a program that allowed a lot of field work. If money for college is a problem, I would investigate the 'outdoor' occupations. State or Federal employment usually has a fairly good education benefit. Working in the Park Service has a police function as well as the outdoor benefit. I'd stay out of large cities. I don't know where you are located or what your location options are but once you have a field choice, try to get a job there - if it's geology, work for a company (probably oil) in their exploration department. BLM type jobs give plenty of opportunity for schooling and experience.

Just a start but does this help?

The 2 things I seen recommended most are Wildlife Ranger and Gunsmith, and MAN I never thought of those, but they sound great! I always wanted to be in the military, but a Forest Ranger is something that sounds better. A gunsmith might be nice too. Thanks Capt Bart for the detailed information. It did help, I was completely lost.

Well what degree should I work on first to be a ranger? Its not 100% yet but thats a good idea to start on. I will have to take basic classes first anyways, but what degrees would I need to be a Wildlife Ranger? Oh by the way I live in the mountains in New Hampshire, my town has about 30,000 people in it and the unemployment rate is probably higher then Detroit's.

But its nice up here, hurricane Irene brought us nice showers and awesome thunder. But the risk of flooding and tornadoes is low up here. We did hit a moose on our first trip up here, so thats a problem, but not really because that means theres plenty of food if needed. The only problem is if the Ice Age hits (which will probably be in a century or so, I think), we would be doomed. But we can get too a wal-mart in 35 minutes, but theres a million BOL's I could get up here if I had the money. I seen 5 acres with a beautiful house for $30,000 and that would be great to have if I actually had the money. $200K for 50 acres, man I want that.

But anyways, being a Park Ranger would suit me well here.

What degrees would I need dya think? And as an alternative idea, what would I need to be a gunsmith? My mom was a welder so she would be proud if I was one.

Also, if there's any other job ideas ideas are always open.

Thanks ev1.

buy yourself a grinder and sharpen lawn mower blades and work your way up . you cant expect to be at the top the first month of the job... finding a job and doing well at it takes time and a little perspiration. we are pulling for you so don't give up your dreams, whatever they may be

DefaultHuman,

If you have a local community college I'd look at the basic associates degree. Any classes you have trouble with will be easier there (more personal attention, more likelihood of help) than in a university. (30 in a basic science class instead of 300.) If you Google for conservation degrees or forestry degrees you'll find a ton of them. Check out http://colleges.findthebest.com/question/2530/969/What-Undergraduate-Degrees-are-available-at-University-of-New-Hampshire-Main-Campus-in-Durham-New-Hampshire for degrees in forestry, husbandry etc. There seems to be plenty and it is possible you'll qualify for a scholarship. As to what degree to choice is right? Well, again Forestry, Natural Resource conservation, environmental studies, or soil science and agronomy would all be fields that would apply. That is just a sample, but if you find one that fits you, check out the degree plan and see what you can get at your local college (they should have counselors to assist you after you've enrolled) as they will likely be cheaper there than at the four year school.

If you are interested in a technical field (machinist, gun smith, welding, etc.) the community college probably has a pretty good vocational school that should be able to help as well.

I hope this helps and good luck.

have you thought about air force? not just shoot the gun meat sheild, but like the AF SEAR. you get paid to be a survivalist. of course you have to pass theyre class and you will be sent to do very dangerous missions but the military is always hiring. and they will pay for school....well maybe recent budget cuts have put a question on that. just throwing it out there for you. and as long as your medical problem isnt sever just dont mention it. they rarely check. and if you can get through mets and basic your home free.

Edited by MjeanM

Yeah I was thinking about it because if I lied I could get through. The medical problem is a disease where is only treatable with medicine. Its were my stomach hurts alot, especially when I excersize. So if I were too do it, it would be tough. But I don't know, being in the forestry business sounds nice.

as long as your medical problem isnt sever just dont mention it. they rarely check. and if you can get through mets and basic your home free.

MjeanM,

I don't want to be a wet blanket but any medical condition should not be hidden for several reasons. One it is a violation of the UCMJ and if you get on duty, you could be prosecuted and be forced to pay for your training. More importantly, any condition that might impact how you do your job has an effect on the entire service. If you have a hidden medical condition, it could get your team mates killed or jeopardize a mission with national consequences. I have been on the receiving end of being told I was medically unfit for duty. That is why I'm retired after only 6 years. I know it is tough to hear but it would be tougher if my condition resulted in a nuclear capable missile battery being out of action. The stakes are too high in the service to mess around with 'fooling' the docs. They may be overly cautious but there is a very good reason for being so. Just my no so humble opinion.

captbart-if you can pass meps the worst that happens when they find out is they medically discharge you. never have they prosecuted for join with a pre existing condition that wasnt caught at meps. and as i said if its not serious its not a problem. your not going to preform less if you have flat foot but its still a disqualifying 'disability'

defaulthuman- i dont want want this to come off wrong but are you jewish[have jewish heritage]? cuz my brother in law has something that sounds sooo similar thats stress induced. they said it was a jewish disease. it didnt show up till his basic and he was discharged medically before he even made it to his school. [combat medic]

Well, I believe im french if anything, I wouldn't be surprised If I was jewish slightly too but don't show any signs of it. Crohns disease is believed too be inherited by genetics but I had e-coli before I was diagnosed because I swam in a river in Wisconsin, which is why I absolutely hate Wisconsin, along with many other reasons, which is the place with the highest amount of this disease. But then again its supposed to be genetic. I am not supposed to drink soda or anything but I used to drink 6 a day. Many people say I shouldn't live to be 50 if I don't take care of myself. Joining the military with this disease might be a problem if I dont have my medicine. They said you cant take any medicine to Basic Training which disqualified my the recruiter said.

I have an extremely high pain tolerance but if its going to kill me faster I would rather not do it. I figured I could get a desk job or research job there but apparently you have too go through basic just for that so I dunno.

oh yeah the captin is right. that type of ailment could just add further injury. if you had something like flate foot or mild asthma id say just dont mention it, with that i wouldnt risk it for your healths sake. have you thought about city work? as long as you can pass a piss test and theyr ehiring that is a great job[any city job] maybe or park ranger if theres a local national park around. what do you want to do, is the better question. think about something that your not going to have a problem doing.

TheDefualtHuman - READ BELOW PLEASE

Here is a good stat to consider for any career.

Forget unemployment numbers.

Who has a job between the ages of 25 & 99.

People without high school education 35%

People withouth college education - 60%

People with a college education - 85%

I could tell you that in my opinion an accounting degree is usefull in any business and having a computer science minor would make you employed for the rest of your life. Every business needs an book keeper and it is all computer based. Being able to be the IT and CFO guy would make you highly valued.

In short, get an education and you will have a leg up on everyone. Dont drop out....

I went with marine engineering from a maritime academy. In addition to getting a mechanical engineering degree, I get (graduating soon) a nifty license that i plan to use to become a Merchant Mariner. i get to see the world, work with my hands, and gain the knowledge to fix damn near anything you can think of. and if you don't like that there is always the deck department, nothing better than introducing yourself as "Captain" thedefaulthuman

I went with marine engineering from a maritime academy. In addition to getting a mechanical engineering degree, I get (graduating soon) a nifty license that i plan to use to become a Merchant Mariner. i get to see the world, work with my hands, and gain the knowledge to fix damn near anything you can think of. and if you don't like that there is always the deck department, nothing better than introducing yourself as "Captain" thedefaulthuman

EngineerStew,

My son-in-law is chief engineer on a tanker off the west coast. Used his GI bill (ex ranger) to pay the bills - I never figured my first born, pretty little red head, would meet her future husband in the engine room of a training ship! My daughter has her Able Bodied Seaman card (had to have for school), for crying out loud!

My only complaint about ships engineers is that they don't know how to make things light. Son built a computer desk for his room made out of 2X4s. Thing weighed about 300 lbs. When he builds something, it STAYS built. Good luck with your career, sir. My son-in-law likes what he does. The 60 to 90 days at sea are tough but the 90+ days at home after are great.

Name is Bond, James Bond.....

What, he said pick anything haha.

There's a lot of good advice here, but let me throw some stuff out as well. I'm a current college student, 4 classes to finish my Bachelor's degree and I already have my Associates. I think you're going about this wrong. What I would suggest, is getting your General Education courses out of the way at the cheapest, yet still accredited, college you can, most likely a local community college as mentioned about. Believe me, paying $1500 for an English class sucks...I did it, 2 times (2 different classes). You have to take them anyways, so get them done for cheap, while figuring out what you want to do.

Unless you absolutely love the outdoors, survival, etc. and want to do that as a career, I don't see the need to go into a field that you will be unhappy in, just to have prepping experience. Let's face it, the odds of everything melting down to the point where you will need to sell your skills for food, is probably not very likely and while its nice to always prepare for the worst, getting into a job you won't enjoy is not the way to do it. Find something you like, do you like engineering (just an example)? Ok, so you want to be an engineer, now look at the different fields in engineering, what ones do you like? What are you naturally good at (ie. I hate math, so I avoided areas within the IT field that dealt heavily in math. I'm naturally good with my hands.)? What seems like it would interest you most as a career and what allows for further movement up the corporate ladder? Also, what gives you the skills to move into another field if need be? Here's what I mean, take my field, IT. I will have 2 degrees, an Associates in Network Administration and a Bachelors in Networking Management. I can take what I have learned in both degrees and build on that to do Networking, Programming, Security, Database, etc. I can also go into Management if I wanted. 20 years from now, you may not want to be doing the same thing anymore and being able to use your current knowledge to get you into a different field of work, is always an added plus. Remember, you can always take survival courses or do stuff in your free time to bolster your prepping knowledge, it doesn't have to be a career.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Name is Bond, James Bond.....

....... What I would suggest, is getting your General Education courses out of the way at the cheapest, yet still accredited, college you can, most likely a local community college as mentioned about. Believe me, paying $1500 for an English class sucks........

This is good advice. I took some tough classes at Jr. College b/c the 300 person classes at Big University were tough on an underclassman.

One thing you could do at a Jr. College is also work in a class or two (with the money you save) in a trade you find interesting. Auto repair, gunsmithing, machinery, carpentry/woodworking, can all be great careers when you work for yourself or own the business. Having a trade combined with an engineering or financial degree would be really useful and preparing for SHTF.

This is good advice. I took some tough classes at Jr. College b/c the 300 person classes at Big University were tough on an underclassman.

One thing you could do at a Jr. College is also work in a class or two (with the money you save) in a trade you find interesting. Auto repair, gunsmithing, machinery, carpentry/woodworking, can all be great careers when you work for yourself or own the business. Having a trade combined with an engineering or financial degree would be really useful and preparing for SHTF.

And with technical classes under your belt, most likely you can get a certification after the class, you can probably get decent paying job and take classes part time, or at least work and save for taking classes full time. Take, for instance, welders, they are in HIGH demand, you get a certification or 2 in that and you'd probably be set for a great paying job, even with no degree. I know a couple people who are doing exactly that. Just another thought.

My only complaint about ships engineers is that they don't know how to make things light. Son built a computer desk for his room made out of 2X4s. Thing weighed about 300 lbs. When he builds something, it STAYS built.

i think that is the inner engineer talking, quality over everything else. i know that if i was building anything i would love to add in at least 3 redundant systems and gold plating (for corrosion resistance lol) and yeah the 60 to 90 days at sea is rough but like you said after that you got 3 months of nothing to do but burn cash lol

I completely agree about the community college aspect. My wife, all my kids, and I all got associate degrees at community colleges (Ok, they were "junior" colleges when I went but I'm a dinosaur). It makes a lot of sense; nobody will care much where you got your degrees from after your first job unless you're in academia and then it will only matter where you got your doctorate. I'm a GS-13 astrophysicist working for NASA so I don't think a "junior" college hurt my future too much.B)

Well, my mom was a welder and making mad money, that was about 7 years ago. She got disabled because of working too much, she tried and tried to work but she just couldnt. We had to get disability but she loved welding.

I don't quite get it, but yeah it is good money I know.

I was thinking more about anthropology with a business degree maybe.

I might someday take extra classes just too add too my record, even after I get a masters. The thing is, most degrees take 2 types of classes, (like Astronomy and Physics, astrophysicist) but I never really see 3 or 4, like 2 associates and a bachelors. Which is what I'm more in to.

Theres not enough work in 2 fields in my opinion. Well any that relate anyways.

I can see my favorite job being a food taster for an energy drink company, and studying the effects of it.

But maybe thats just too much too ask.

Also I might move to Canada, and unless I'm super special I need a degree is a few fields they allow immigrants to have to come in. Like Biology, or medical stuff.

So I might do biology and nutrition but what kind of masters is that?