Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

Re-teaching.

So awhile back my wife and I deicded to whittle down our book collection which was getting out of hand. I got to the point where for the most part I really only cared about keeping books that could be used for referance or teaching purposes. If I had to I believe I am more than capable of teaching my own most of the stuff they get in school today. However, what would you teach to your own that they either don't teach in school or don't teach very much of?

My first wife(26years) is a teacher.I learned from her that READING is the most important thing to teach anyone.She was the one who proved to me that I had a problem with reading,and showed me what i was missing.I see letters different than others when reading.Well no kidding I hated school.I now read daily.She also taught our daughters to read before they went to school.She was a great mother and is still a great teacher.I still cant spell worth sh&t.

im gonna say that the most important thing that they DONT teach in school is about money. sure they teach you 4 quarters is equal to $1.00, and that it takes 100 pennies to make that same dollar.

what they dont teach you is the true value of a dollar. they dont teach you how to save money. they dont teach you how to make that dollar stretch. they dont teach you to pay your bills first and live on the rest.

(well there is the "pay yourself first" method) they dont teach you that $2,600 wheels on a $500 car make no damn sense. they dont teach you about living within your means with money.

then there is the "life course" that they dont teach you. God dont get me started on that either.

i feel sorry for kids in the public school systems today. they almost have no chance from the get go.

im gonna say that the most important thing that they DONT teach in school is about money. sure they teach you 4 quarters is equal to $1.00, and that it takes 100 pennies to make that same dollar.

what they dont teach you is the true value of a dollar. they dont teach you how to save money. they dont teach you how to make that dollar stretch. they dont teach you to pay your bills first and live on the rest.

(well there is the "pay yourself first" method) they dont teach you that $2,600 wheels on a $500 car make no damn sense. they dont teach you about living within your means with money.

then there is the "life course" that they dont teach you. God dont get me started on that either.

i feel sorry for kids in the public school systems today. they almost have no chance from the get go.

Yes rick I definitly agree with you on the money maganment aspect. I think that is something that should be taught all through high school. Their "life courses" are not the same as what my "life course" would be...self defense, hunting and fishing, basic survival.

I would like to see the cash registers at Wal-Mart stop telling the cashiers ( I refuse to call them associates because their cashiers) how much change to give you and make them figure it out on their own. Man I bet that would be a sweet time. :)

oh Lord no. who would have the time for that? hey ya wanna have some fun? next time your at micky D"s

and say the total is......oh i dont know........$7.37 or something, give them like .17 extra. you will quit possibly shut the line down for upwards of 5 minutes. wal-mart the same thing. im just glad the register does tell them how much change to give back. hell, shopping in my area (N.ATL) wouldnt ever be the same if it didnt. its already a nightmare now as it is.

! How to think for themselves

2. How to be a parent!!!!

3. How to stand up and salute the flag

4. How to pull up their damn pants LOL

Amen ma'am!

5. how about learning not to say "i'm bored" if there phone or any handheld device is shut down for more than 30 sec

! How to think for themselves

2. How to be a parent!!!!

3. How to stand up and salute the flag

4. How to pull up their damn pants LOL

i agree with all of these except #2. i dont think this one can be taught. i think its an experience as you go thing. as for #4 i whole heartedly agree. come to ATL and see the girls dressed like that too. its an experience you wont forget lol.

I teach my kids the importance of a foundation education ("why do I have to know calculus, I'll never use it!" usually triggers that lecture).

I have all girls, I teach them how to be independent (not rely on a man's help). I also teach them how men should act (it's firmly established that if the guy doesn't hold the door for them, or wears a ballcap at the table, there's no 2nd date).

My wife and I teach them nutrition. They know how to eat right, and actually enjoy the crap snacks they get from time to time as a treat.

History, seems I'm always having to clarify something my oldest brings home from school. You can't judge/evaluate the actions of historic figures by today's standards. Social norms and thought processes were a bit different, it's important to try to get inside that.

Family. I'm proud that our girls will at times choose to spend time with their family rather than friends, or holed up in their rooms. I've taught them as I was taught, family business is family business, no one else's. Nothing to hide, but mind your own damn business.

There's plenty of other stuff (like don't walk up or down the stairs with your hands in your pockets), but that's daily & trivial.

My wife and i are thinking very hard about home schooling our kids. We have been told by others that we shouldn't due to "socialization." that is what playgrounds, and boy/girl scouts is for. I don't need my child to go to school to be socialized (pun VERY intended.) Reading, and writing, as well as talking effectively I think are most important. With that as a base, I can teach them self sufficiency. They should teach themselves at some point. Hmmm... Maybe i should do that to myself...

many years ago my kids would tell me, Just go to the bank they give you money. So one week i got my paycheck put the kids in the car and went to the bank. On the way i explained that Dad worked all week for this check. So i cashed it into one dollar bills. At the house i spread the money out. My son said we were rich. So i Asked how they wanted to spent it. I got the usual answers. At this point I explained that i had to the mortgage and utility bills and car note and every other bill. I took a percentage as this was a weeks worth of pay. In the end i had $27 left. You should of seen the looks on their faces when all the money was placed in a stack to pay bills and the 27 single dollar bills was next it. They still remember that little life lesson.

many years ago my kids would tell me, Just go to the bank they give you money. So one week i got my paycheck put the kids in the car and went to the bank. On the way i explained that Dad worked all week for this check. So i cashed it into one dollar bills. At the house i spread the money out. My son said we were rich. So i Asked how they wanted to spent it. I got the usual answers. At this point I explained that i had to the mortgage and utility bills and car note and every other bill. I took a percentage as this was a weeks worth of pay. In the end i had $27 left. You should of seen the looks on their faces when all the money was placed in a stack to pay bills and the 27 single dollar bills was next it. They still remember that little life lesson.

wow, you are rich, you have $27 left after the bills. (how the hell) ROFLMAO.

good lesson for the kids indeed. bring them by the shop and i'll show them reasons to go to college for the rest of their lives and why its best to just never move out of mommy and daddies house, EVER. lol

i like your morals and values awake. i dont think youve ever made a post that i didnt at least read twice.

wow, you are rich, you have $27 left after the bills. (how the hell) ROFLMAO.

good lesson for the kids indeed. bring them by the shop and i'll show them reasons to go to college for the rest of their lives and why its best to just never move out of mommy and daddies house, EVER. lol

i like your morals and values awake. i dont think youve ever made a post that i didnt at least read twice.

um no thanks rick. looking to be an empty nest-er ASAP. Raised them to have their own lives and not to occupy the rest of mine. Dont get me wrong i love my kids but i want them to know the real world scary as that thought is.

The education system needs to change... I'm a Senior in Highschool, and quite frankly only about half of what your learning is useful, even less is practical. English and History I think are the most important; classes you can choose to take like anatomy are also practical subjects. But what they don't teach you in school, now that's the most important information you need to know. Stuff like learning how the money system works, and learning how to NOT go into debt. From the time you go to school teachers push the notion that if you want to be successful you NEED to go to college and you'll make 1 million dollars more than everyone else otherwise you'll end up with a deadbeat job and that their will always be a job waiting for you once you get out of college. That's not true, and if you do go to college don't choose a junk major like history if you don't plan on becoming a teach or a historian, and do not, if you really can, take out a student loan. You see, college tuition is insane, and I plan to go to college. However, under NO circumstances will I ever take out a student loan, the idea is so crazy is baffles me as to why so many students decide to go into debt for the rest of their lives. The government will give a loan to anyone, so colleges raise tuition and students still take out loans, nope, not me, I don't want be paying off a "mortgage" until I buy a house. Anyway, the public school system teaches a lot of useless information, like advanced algebra and poetry analysis. And if you believe we should really be learning such pointless information I'm curious to hear your answer. Every student just memorizes the material until the next test and forgets the next month, why? Because it has no practical application in what they are doing and what they want to do, and quite frankly that's how compulsory education works. It's the Prussian education system, the worst in the world. Classes are boring and imprarctical. I'd rather learn about money management, opening up a business, the Federal Reserve System, thinking outside the box, important stuff! Instead the school system just takes kids and puts them through the same homogenizing process, creating a group of kids that think the same and are easier to control.

You are wise beyond your years Rapture333. And you are correct about the student loans. They will keep you enslaved to the system. You are better off working summers and paygo. And while the college edu is normally necessary to get a shot at bigger bucks, remember that the educators in college are generally no better and have bigger agendas than the ones in H.S. My lovely wife is a H.S. teacher of 20 years and every once and a while she needs to gargle to get the taste of the PC-kool aid out of her mouth.

Strong mathematics

Solid civics

History

Morality and ethics

Survival skills

Love of God and Country

I agree... does the Pledge fall under the Love of God and Country?

Also, maybe just common sense and work ethic. I don't think the education system has a clue about such topics.