Sign in to follow this  
rickp2129

Steripen

It is on our list of things we want. The battery dependency was what we didn't like, but now they have a hand crank unit that also filters out the floaters. http://www.steripen.com/sidewinder

I trust it to kill the bacteria, viruses, and protozoa like it says it will. What it won't do is remove chemicals, but then I don't know what would.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but carbon filters will filter out some metals and pesticides.

wow thats a tough one. i think it will filter out some but not all of that same some. follow me?

grab a hand full of sand. now tip your hand and let the sand start to pour out and put your other hand under but down below to catch the sand. you will catch some but not all of that same "some".

What kind of faith does anyone have in the Stripen method of water purification? Aside from it requiring batteries to work. I have one, but have yet to feel comfortable enough to test it in harsh envirnoments.

I've used for a couple of months so far and have been happy. Battery isn't ideal (nor cheap), but they now have a usb model I believe...great for a car survival kit or fanny pack on dayhike just in case....

The Steripen tested well in Backpacker magazine (March 2011). It got the "Best Purifier" award in a comparison test. Their only complaints were you need a wide mouth water bottle to use it, only treats one liter at a time, and it is not good for silty water. The say the batteries treat 100 liters and the UV bulb is good for 8000 treatments.

I haven't bought one yet, but it's on my "to do" list.

Hope that helps.

The best one I've found (and eventually settled on myself) is the Emergency model. Its slightly lighter and does a few less treatments, but is also a fraction of the cost (in the ballpark of $100 less than standard models). Still does 8000L of water, which works out to be 2L of water everyday for 4 years (according to the box). Battery dependancy is a downer though, and they seem to chew through the recommended lithium batteries too.

They make a solar charger unit for the Steripen now, as well. You can recharge it indefinitely as long as you get some sun on the charger. For small volume purification, the Steripen works great. For bulk purification (i.e., staying at home, rather than hiking/biking) I'd go with a Berkey.