Sign in to follow this  
TheMcs

GHB vs BOB

I'm sure this has been touched on before, just thought I'd share my limited experience and open it up for feedback.

I'm new to most of this, somehow stumbled upon the discussion of a BOB while looking up camp sites. Thought it was a fine idea. I picked up an assault pack at the local milsurp (we have a couple really good ones here) and started with what I had on hand. Started researching survival knives and made the Gerber LMF II my first purchase. I haven't used it much yet, but it seems like a badass.

So while I'm doing all this I read about the GHB, and I gotta have one of those too. Figure I'll kill two with one and just keep the BOB in my K5. That was until I got most everything stuffed in there this weekend. These are going to have to be two different animals for me.

The only way I'll have to hoof it home is if the K5 is out of commission, otherwise there are plenty of ways for me to make it home. I'm in a suburban environment, even if the roads are gridlocked/impassable I can take alternate routes. Given that, and the fact that my house is approx a 1-2 hour hike from where I am at any given day, I'm going light on the GHB. I'll keep the assault pack for that. One of the milsurps has a couple complete ILBE packs at an incredible price, thought I'd grab one of those in a few paychecks for the BOB, to be left at home.

Right now, in the assault pack, I have;

tools

Gerber LMF II

100 ft 550 cord

100 ct 8" zip ties

3M heavy duty all weather duct tape

shelter

mylar blankets

poncho

8x10 blue tarp

navigation

Silva Polaris compass

regional & state maps (topo to come)

pad & pencil

binoculars

fire

Swedish firesteel

Coleman starter

UCO stormproof matched in case (2)

water

Katadyn Micropur MP1 tablets

several bottles of water

food

fishing tackle

beef jerky

Clif bars (but they keep disappearing for some reason)

medical

soft case 1st aid kit

nail clippers & file

carmex

super glue gel (best band aid ever)

ibuprofin

immodium

clothes

nothing yet, plans include;

boots

cargo pants

t-shirt

flannel shirt

jungle cover

shemagh

polarized goggles

documents

flash drive in static shield bag, inside Altoids can (contains all documents and many photos)

waterproof document bag, with hard copies of documents

Still a ton to go, but this is a start. I do have a couple PDWs, but that's about all the detail I generally give on those.

I figure in the GHB, I'll need at least the;

tools

Gerber LMF II

100 ft 550 cord

100 ct 8" zip ties

3M heavy duty all weather duct tape

shelter

poncho

navigation

Silva Polaris compass

regional & state maps (topo to come)

pad & pencil

binoculars

fire

Swedish firesteel

Coleman starter

UCO stormproof matched in case (2)

water

Katadyn Micropur MP1 tablets

several bottles of water

food

beef jerky

Clif bars (but they keep disappearing for some reason)

medical

soft case 1st aid kit

carmex

super glue gel (best band aid ever)

clothes

nothing yet, plans include;

boots

cargo pants

t-shirt

flannel shirt

jungle cover

shemagh

polarized goggles

documents

flash drive in static shield bag, inside Altoids can (contains all documents and many photos)

waterproof document bag, with hard copies of documents

I do also have items in the K5 for its use as a BOV.

Would appreciate any feedback.

sounds like all good stuff. i dont advise a flashdrive for backing up important files as your only means

to important documents. carry copies of the doc's themselves. if that flashdrive gets wet its done. besides that flashdrives are known to dump its contents out of nowhere.

You have a lot of good stuff in there. My only recommendation is that you make your GHB fairly small. Mine is actually a camping fanny pack. The reason I decided to keep it so small was that most likely you will want to get home fast, if your fairly close, and cutting down on the size and weight will help out a lot with that. Its also less visible to others if I have to get through crowds and smaller if I have to get through obstacles.

Rick, I've got a waterproof flash drive for what it's worth. But I also keep the hard copies (noted below the drive).

Tinder, I'm in agreement. Lot of stuff to pare down. I think the "just-in-case" change of clothes will be kept outside the bag in the truck. I think the suburban sprawl and proximity to home will help me gear down. I can use the assault pack as my wife's BOB if I opt for a smaller GHB.

just a point to make. I choose not to use any backpack or bag that has a military look. To me in SHTF situation people may see that military look to read "Hey this guy must know how to survive" wonder what he has that i need. I dont want any attention. Just an average slob trying to get home.

just a point to make. I choose not to use any backpack or bag that has a military look. To me in SHTF situation people may see that military look to read "Hey this guy must know how to survive" wonder what he has that i need. I dont want any attention. Just an average slob trying to get home.

exactly awake.

I keep just what I need to get home in my GHB. I only work 6 miles from my house so I good with a small bag. I keep

flashlights

a little food

paracord

big trash bags (2)

big knife

fire starters ( more than one)

keep warm stuff (gloves, hats)

a little ammo

gun

extra socks

I also keep a walking stick in the truck

mine is a old Nam era back pack

Very valid point.

I have what may be a silly question but I dont understand why people carry important documents with them in their BOB. I mean when I was in the military the only document I carried was one dog tag around my neck and one laced into the laces on my left boot (I was aircrew and the old saying was after a crash and fire the only thing left is usally your boots). If the situation is so bad that your bugging out then I dont think bank documents and insurance paper work is going to do that much good. I think 99% of us (including me) have WAY to much stuff in our bags and I would bet that deep down inside you know that if you had to walk there is no way your carrying that bag for more then a mile at best. I remeber carrying SEAL teams on missions in the middle east when I flew in the Navy and those guys were going into Indian country for a week at a time to live and fight with no resupply and they packed alot less then we do and we are only trying to get home or hide in the woods for a few days. Just some food for thought.

I have what may be a silly question but I dont understand why people carry important documents with them in their BOB.

very easy question to answer. what if there is no coming back to what you call home? what is a fire takes it out? what if it gets flooded? i can go on and on. what if somehow you land yourself in a differewnt country?

so many possibilities. with the military guys you mentioned, well they are not moving their families into the unknown. sometimes its the paperwork on you that lets others know whom you are. if i have to bug out and away from my home, im packing like im not coming back bro. if its bad enough to run me out of my own home its bad enough to keep me away also. i can go on and on here but im sure you get the picture.

To Ricks point its more of bugging out of a local event (think Hurricane, flooding, etc) and not a Mad Max style event. When you get a way and its time to rebuild or to get any other services it will be a lot easier if you have the documents.

As a police officer I can tell you this about carrying important documents in your BOB. If you take your bag everywhere you go like I do (I take it when ever I travel more then 5 miles from home) you are setting yourself up for ID theft. Throw your bag in your trunk or the back of your SUV and some criminal is going to see that nice big bag and start thinking that it looks like something they need. I have taken alot of reports for stolen backpacks and such from cars. If it looks civilian then they think every bag has a lap top in it and if it looks military then they are thinking weapons and it draws them like moths to a flame. If your going to carry your bag around in your trunk you really need to think about a password protected thumb drive and leave the paperwork at home. All I need is your SSN and date of birth and I will (I mean you will) own a sweet credit card so I can buy a big fat flat panel TV. Just something to chew on.

As a police officer I can tell you this about carrying important documents in your BOB. If you take your bag everywhere you go like I do (I take it when ever I travel more then 5 miles from home) you are setting yourself up for ID theft.

Food for thought, thanks. I was chewing on the idea of the thumb drive (password protected) in the GHB (stays in the truck), and the docs in the BOB (that stays at home).

As a police officer I can tell you this about carrying important documents in your BOB. If you take your bag everywhere you go like I do (I take it when ever I travel more then 5 miles from home) you are setting yourself up for ID theft. Throw your bag in your trunk or the back of your SUV and some criminal is going to see that nice big bag and start thinking that it looks like something they need. I have taken alot of reports for stolen backpacks and such from cars. If it looks civilian then they think every bag has a lap top in it and if it looks military then they are thinking weapons and it draws them like moths to a flame. If your going to carry your bag around in your trunk you really need to think about a password protected thumb drive and leave the paperwork at home. All I need is your SSN and date of birth and I will (I mean you will) own a sweet credit card so I can buy a big fat flat panel TV. Just something to chew on.

lol your not thinking in the right content here. if its SHTF, im not worried about ID theft. these document arent carried on you daily, they are in your BOB, not your GHB. again you dont want to carry this stuff on you daily, the documents. yes its at that point your inviting a bad situation. if there is something thats happened that i have to leave my home to protect me and my family, the documents are coming with, in both paper and drive formats. the drive only as a workable format while the papers are true copy backups.

hell cache the papers if it makes you feel more safe.

I can say that a I have a normal Wal-Mat scan disk flash drive that I use at work everyday and it has been washed at least 5 or 6 times in my shirt pocket. As long as you let it dry out completely before putting it in your computer it works fine. I have never had any problems with it. So if you put a normal flash drive in a zip-loc bag you should be fine. Just some FYI.

Agreed with not solely trusting a flash drive - but it is one of several lines of backup.

One note on wet electronics, put it in a ziploc baggie with rice. The rice draws out and absorbs the moisture. Works great for cell phones too. Old tip, but worth mentioning.

Based solely on this, I'm changing my GHB to a doubled-up Wal Mart sack.