Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

Newbie to the site looking for new ideas for my BOB, what am I missing?

I was asked earlier to review the sonic gernades, and got a chance to try them today. They are pretty simple to use and seem to work as advertised. They aren't quite as loud as I'd hoped, but loud enough to work. The timers seem to be accurate. There is a piece of synthetic material between the battery and body of the gernade that needs to be removed before it will operate. They sound like alot of car alarms you hear going off around town, so they may not get as much reaction as a more unusual sound. My view is that since they are cheap they are worth the money.

thats an intense bag! how heavy is it? i mean it sounds pretty complete but my worry would be.... how mobile are you with all that gear? and how much do you weigh? something that i find really true is "An individual in good health should be able to carry 20% of their body weight - a 40 lb pack for a 200 pound person. Intermediates should be able to carry 25% of their body weight - a 50 lb pack for a 200 pound person. Experienced and well conditioned backpackers can carry 35% of their body weight - a 70 lb pack for a 200 pound person. Does this mean you should carry this much? Of course not! Go as light as you possibly can. Current trends indicate that more and more backpackers are hitting the trail with packs in the < 30 lb range, with many venturing out for a week or more with less than 20 pounds of gear and food."

so make sure its not too heavy and not too bulky, because when you have to move.... you have to MOVE, not trot along with 200 lbs of gear.

Gear, food, and water bladder full = 35lbs

Pack = 7lbs

Rifle = 9lbs

Pistol & holster = 2lbs

Total = 53lbs

It is heavy, but I've packed heavier loads with this pack. My normal load for a backpack hunt weighs between 44 and 55lbs depending on what rifle, ammo, and clothing I take. If I pack meat out the loads are much heavier. When I take conditioning walks through the steepest hills around home I carry the 44lb load, so I know I can handle the weight. I didn't realize my standard load was that heavy until I checked it tonight also. The load gets lighter as the food gets consumed.

Backpacking light is definitely popular, and something that I have researched online and read several books about. For a 72hr kit, or even a week or so, this isn't a bad approach. The problem for me is that if I bug out, this gear needs to enable me to obtain more resources indefinitely. I want gear built to last in this situation not to shave ounces like I prefer when on a shorter recreational hunt. Also when guns and ammo are added to the list, weights go up quickly.

I worked on the list again this evening and did a little more modifying, but didn't drop alot of weight. I'm transitioning some of our gear into a large marine cooler to be packed in the vehicle, and cached short term if needed.

I'm still looking at what to switch, but what I added is light and useful.

-gaiters (lightweight gore-tex ones to keep pants and socks dry and warm in snow or wet grass)

-CRKT folding fillet knife (slicing meat fine for drying) The best way to preserve game or fish in warmer weather will be dehydrating it, and that requires very thin slices.

-5 repair needles (large eyed needles for repairing gear with fishing line or other cord, also one small enough for sutures)

Edited by catfish hunter

Found a great deal yesterday on another eberlestock pack. It is the X1A1 model daypack with a scabbard and 2100cu internal storage. I played with one at Cabelas last year and liked the layout and suspension, so I bought one but later traded it in on my larger J34 for backpack hunting. This new one is in a neutral color called Dry Earth instead of camo which I'd been thinking would be better for a BOB. I got it ordered and should have it in a couple weeks. I'm not sure where it will fit yet, but I know I'll use it and the price was sure right. I'm going to see how much of my gear will fit into it when it arrives and decide what to do from there. If nothing else it would be my ideal truck GHB. It also may become my girlfriend's BOB. Her pack now is my large external frame Cabelas Alaskan Extreme pack and it's pretty bulky and noisier than I'd like with all it's straps. I'd sell it but I sometimes take the pack bag off the frame and use the frame for packing meat. I'm moving some of our gear to the marine cooler and streamlining her pack a little where I can.

Pics of my bag before/during transfering some gear to the cooler. It weighs in at 53lbs with the rifles. The Kifaru paratarp is set up in my yard currently letting seam sealer dry, and my pistol isn't pictured. I'm going to wait until the new pack arrives and then see what I end up doing. The outer duffle bag has the bulky items like clothing and my poncho liner and the weight is packed in the middle of the pack up close to my back.

post-1747-13851497817826_thumb.jpg

post-1747-1385149781627_thumb.jpg

post-1747-1385149781664_thumb.jpg

post-1747-13851497817049_thumb.jpg

post-1747-13851497817446_thumb.jpg

Edited by catfish hunter

Pics of my bag before/during transfering some gear to the cooler. It weighs in at 53lbs with the rifles. The Kifaru paratarp is set up in my yard currently letting seam sealer dry, and my pistol isn't pictured. I'm going to wait until the new pack arrives and then see what I end up doing. The outer duffle bag has the bulky items like clothing and my poncho liner and the weight is packed in the middle of the pack up close to my back.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]518[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]521[/ATTACH]

ok ok ok, this is just my opinion, but im not buying these pics. there is no way you can put all that stuff into

that bag and STILL have room for the microwave there in the first pic. there is just something about that that just dont seem right Mr Hunter. ROFLMAO

Guest survival101
Good ideas. I have a separate bag for my girlfriend that lives with me that includes the Gerber E-tool. I have most of the clothes and lighter stuff. Her pack is much lighter also and has an external frame so the bag can be removed to pack meat or other heavy items to camp. I tried to make her bag light, and expendable so my bag would be enough. Her bag carries the following.......

catfish hunter- its great that you have a bag ready for "her". as mentioned earlier in the thread, most bags are personallized to the individual, so the one thing i see missing for the girlfriends "BOB" would be any and all feminine hygene products she will require during the emergency. if momma aint happy...no one will be happy.

Sawdust, when you and the little lady get to that point, pack what works for her, but just want to mention that your local grocery co-op (hippies like me) or mom and pop health food store can order ladies pads made from cloth, washable and re-usuable. If you Bug-Out for an extended period, of it it's TEOTWAWKI, she's not gonna have anything... you will eventually run out of supplies. I understand these are inexpensive, comfortable, and hygenic. Ewwww.... Sorry guys. My husband says I am a serious reality check.

Edited by survival101

ok ok ok, this is just my opinion, but im not buying these pics. there is no way you can put all that stuff into

that bag and STILL have room for the microwave there in the first pic. there is just something about that that just dont seem right Mr Hunter. ROFLMAO

You are right, the microwave doesn't fit, I'll have to have the girlfriend carry that!

I also found that if I roll the jacket & bibs up with the poncho liner and strap them to the webbing on the bottom of the pack I can put everything in the main compartment and skip the spike camp duffel, getting the load much closer to my back and less bulky. The duffle is everything that isn't camo protruding from the back of the pack in the picture. It packs much easier that way. I keep my BOB gear in the duffle that zips onto the main pack so I can use the pack for hunting most of the time so I pictured it that way. I'd re-pack first good chance If I was carrying it daily. I may change that when the new pack arrives.

well on the positive side, you can open the microwave and have an additional 1.5 cubic ft of space for extra preps. :P

ROTFLMAO... ok Rick, you have taken it too far. I can't believe you would think he would only have a 1.5 cubic ft microwave.

Maybe I could get her to set it on the generator and just roll that around, it would make the microwave more useful.

Actually that microwave shot craps the same night I was taking pictures so I set it to the side and brought the other one back in out of the shop. It was nicer anyway but the one we were using came with the house and we left it. A friend was over one night trying to use it and he said "the 70's called and they want their microwave back". On a side note after moving them the newer model is much lighter so it would be a better choice for bugging out anyway unless you planned to drop it on someone.

Maybe I could get her to set it on the generator and just roll that around, it would make the microwave more useful.

Actually that microwave shot craps the same night I was taking pictures so I set it to the side and brought the other one back in out of the shop. It was nicer anyway but the one we were using came with the house and we left it. A friend was over one night trying to use it and he said "the 70's called and they want their microwave back". On a side note after moving them the newer model is much lighter so it would be a better choice for bugging out anyway unless you planned to drop it on someone.

LOL... glad you joined in on the humor fun. Well rig the old microwave as a deadfall trap and you can add a new dimension to "nuked" food.

Guest survival101
Maybe she can balance it on her head like the natives do in some countries.
Hooooo boy! This is gonna be an interesting new society if the world ends and you guys are in charge. No wonder the girls don't want to play. ;)