Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

Newbie to the site looking for new ideas for my BOB, what am I missing?

I have been putting together gear for a while, and wanted to get some other opinions on my list. For a little background info, I live and work on a ranch in a rural area and am in good physical condition from the outside labor. I also am an avid hunter and fisherman in my free time. As you will see from some of my choices, much of my gear gets used in the field for backpack hunting, or camping on the river while fishing and then gets put back in the bag when I get home. Anyway, here is my list and thanks for your time.

BOB is a camoflage hunting Eberlestock J34 pack I use hunting, with the BOB kit kept in the detachable spike camp duffle. The blanket and tarp are kept rolled up and strapped below the main pack.

-Small Coleman camp cooking set (nesting pot and cup) with tea,oatmeal packets,salt

-2 sporks

-9 cliff bars

-6 2 serving mountain house meals

-esbit stove with 10 fuel tabs

-stainless steel water bottle

-Katadyn Hiker pro water filter

-bandana

-Source 3qt water bladder

-Frontier water filter straw

-lensatic compass

-maps of local and intended locations, plus railway map of US

-Otis gun cleaning kit

-long screwdriver to fit buttstock of 7615

-small Quantum spinning reel w/ 20lb braided line

-1 small box fishing tackle

-beetle spins, small inline spinners, crappie jigs, hooks

-pack rod tube w/ telescopic spinning rod

-1 spool Big Game 40lb line

-small box setline hooks (larger catfish hooks)

-1 roll bank line (braided nylon 142lb test)

-5 prong gig head

-snares (12 larger pre-made snares, 100ft picture wire)

-50 rounds 158gr JHP 357 ammo

-550 rounds 22LR

-Rossi Tuffy single shot 22LR broke down

-wetfire cubes & screwtop container (holds partial cubes for future use)

-firesteel & 3 lighters

-large pill bottle of Vaseline coated cotton balls

-Leatherman wave

-SOG Seal Pup Elite (4 ¾” un-serrated AUS-8)

-sharpener with carbide groove, ceramic rods, and diamond stone

-Gransfers Bruks small forest axe

-ace bandage

-2 disposable scapels

-hydration bladder 100oz

-Grabber heavy hooded space blanket/tarp

-fleece baklava

-big scarf

-thermal gloves

-2pr Lorpen wool socks

-AAA headlamp (lithium batteries in backward so they don't drain)

-Emergency radio with solar & crank power, Brunton I think w/ lithium batteries

-2 pr thermal underwear (Sitka and Russel APGX-2 mixed)

-Colombia wool jacket & Sitka Celcius insulated bibs

-Campmor black nylon rain suit

-200ft paracord

-ultralight fleece sleeping bag (space blanket liner)

-Adventure medical fleece lined bivy sack

-Kifaru paratarp w/ annex and pegs

-military poncho

-US army wool blanket

Medical: (stop bleeding, make splints)

-quick clot sponge

-1 roll hot pink vetwrap (bandaging with duck tape, marking trail, etc)

-small tube neosporin

-4 3"x3" gauze pads

-rubber glove

-6 pills immodium

-2 pills claritin

-1 packet sunscreen

-1 packet lip balm

-4 safety pins

-1 antiseptic towlette

Not included are my 357 revolver, Remington 7615 and 223 ammo, they aren't permanent residents of the bag. Also I have a 4oz Altoids tin kit that I carry with me all the time with some basics.

The bag and clothing are camoflage, but not a military pattern. I like that the scabbard allows me to have the 7615 slid down far enough it doesn't stick out over the pack, or I can tie up the bottom of the scabbard to make it easily reachable. I can also put the raincover over the whole thing to make the rifle somewhat less noticable, or take the buttstock off the rifle and put it inside the pack. I'd like to switch to an earth tone eberlestock pack, but haven't wanted to drop another $300 when I already have pretty much the same thing in camo. I'd like to keep a little lower profile, but I already have top quality gear in camo and could put on the nylon rainsuit and the black raincover to help a little if needed. Also starting in a rural area, I don't plan to travel into a denser population anyway.

The bag isn't ultralight by any means, but I can pick it up in 1 hand. It bottoms out my 50lb fishing scale with the 7615 in the scabbard and ammo in the pack, but I don't think it would weigh 60lbs. It is much lighter than the elk quarters I have packed in the same pack, but heavier than my standard backpack hunting load by 15lbs or so. I know I can put the pack on and walk all day because I've done it, and the suspension system of the Eberlestock really fits me well to handle the weight.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by catfish hunter

catfish welcome sir.

oh man, i can find 100 things that BOB is missing, if it were mine. thats the beautiful thing about the BOB, no two will ever be alike. what i have in mine you might not have in yours. why? because the BOB is designed around the users needs and expected location. the BOB is like a survival finger print, no two alike.

relax, yours sounds like a good one.

I would add more of the over the counter pills since they weight close to nothing and consider a small thing of ibuprofen to help make the transition period from everyday life to 30 miles a day a little softer on your muscles if you have to hoof it. But your base is covered pretty well.

Thanks for the replys, it's good to hear I'm off to a good start. I'll add some aleve which agrees with me better, and I'd like to get another bottle of amoxicillian, I'm about out. I'll add my backpacking hygiene kit also, good idea.

The fishing rod is a Cabelas collapsible graphite composite model. It extends to 6.5ft long and has more backbone than the cheaper version I had before, plus the extra length is nice. I think it cost between 30 and 40 bucks. It weighs 3.5oz and is about 19" long collapsed. I forgot to change it on my list, but I upgraded to a Okuma Avenger reel for it last summer after catfishing with one on a 9ft ugly stick. These reels have the baitrunner feature that allows line to go out freely while making an audible click. That way I can be doing something else in the area while waiting for a bite without worrying about losing my pole. Absentee fishing.

Also read a book that gave me some more ideas without adding much weight I may look into.

-basic paper dust mask or two

-Magnalite universal handcuff keys

-Sonic Gernades -little joke alarms that can be set for a 60 second delay, small, cheap, and loud. May provide a distraction when needed.

-personal alarms -sound when a tether is pulled, could be taped to a door or trip wire to alert of someone's presense. Might be needed if I'm alone and don't have anyone to keep watch while sleeping.

Edited by catfish hunter

good idea to switch the reels and to a much better reel at that.

the clicker is a solid feature and a must if fishing seriously, and you will be if SHTF.

also look at cabela's packable flyrod. it too breaks down to like 6 pieces and is great quality.

i have one myself. couldnt believe the quality at the cheap price.

fishing is one of my hobbies and my specialty. this is why i asked you about your gear choices.

good picks bro.

when you get into the sonic gernades and the personal alarms, be sure to post to us what you got. been thinking about them myself.

Thanks, they are nice reels. I have 3 of the larger ones on 10-12ft rods for fishing off sandbars when I need to heave a lively bluegill toward a logjam against the other bank. They are high quality. I ordered the sonic gernades yesterday, haven't decided what personal alarm to try yet. I'll let you know how they work.

It seems like a great kit with all bases covered. The only things that you may want to add is insect repellant and electrolyte tablets. I keep electrolyte tablets readily available in my BOB to lessen the chances of cramps and dehydration in case of any long distance travel on foot.

Thanks, they are nice reels. I have 3 of the larger ones on 10-12ft rods for fishing off sandbars when I need to heave a lively bluegill toward a logjam against the other bank. They are high quality. I ordered the sonic gernades yesterday, haven't decided what personal alarm to try yet. I'll let you know how they work.

please do and post links to where ya got your gear at so we can read up on them too.

Catfish, good list. I'd only add a couple 110 size body grip traps and Killer Klips (brand name so anything similiar works) and a small casting type net. I also did not see any type of entrenching tool (shovel), altho a couple stainless steel bowls can be added and used as a multi-purpose item.

Catfish, good list. I'd only add a couple 110 size body grip traps and Killer Klips (brand name so anything similiar works) and a small casting type net. I also did not see any type of entrenching tool (shovel), altho a couple stainless steel bowls can be added and used as a multi-purpose item.

Good ideas. I have a separate bag for my girlfriend that lives with me that includes the Gerber E-tool. I have most of the clothes and lighter stuff. Her pack is much lighter also and has an external frame so the bag can be removed to pack meat or other heavy items to camp. I tried to make her bag light, and expendable so my bag would be enough. Her bag carries the following.

-Brunton emergency radio battery/crank/solar powered w/ weatherbands & flashlight

-solar battery charger

-2 sets spare AAA rechargeable batteries

-Coglans tube tent

-75 sq ft aluminum foil

-wool socks (4pr)

-leather insulated work gloves

-army wool sweater

-thermal underwear set

-wool watch cap

-camo dry-plus pull-over

-army boots

-camo jeans

-military rain poncho

-wool gloves

-military wool blankets (2)

-Kershaw outcast knife (10” blade, good chopper)

-Gerber E-tool shovel

-1 box 357 ammo

-8 2 serving mtn house meals

-12 esbit stove fuel tabs

-large cooking pot with:

-ziplock of salt

-1 jar peanut butter

-lighter

-matches

-20 granola bars

-tea/hot chocolate packets

-smaller cooking pot

-4 potable aqua tablets

-5 gallon collapsible water bladder (empty)

-2 32oz Gatorade bottles (empty)

-headlamp

I'm a 'customize' your BOBs per family member guy. I fear that too often Newbies drop a lot of money on 'other people's ideas' rather than their own experience. I teach 'don't put it in your pack if you don't know how to use it.' Use that weight for items can make a difference. Carry a loved one's photo.

I carry a spare Asthma inhaler for my wife. Will you travel with anyone? A toy for a child, for example. Put in some other 'human items': toothbrush, paste & picks, teas like sleepy time, seasonings, dust mask, goggles and ear plugs. Did I miss your Whistle? Take care of those 'comfort' reminders that "This too shall Pass."

Be Honest, Be Excellent & Walk About Prepared™

PS: Nat Geo's "Doomsday Preppers" begins Feb. 7, 2012 - our episode will be "around the end of March or Early April" 2012. IF it makes the final version, I demonstrate my Prototype of my EDC Rescue Tool - a people's tool.

Good ideas. I have a separate bag for my girlfriend that lives with me that includes the Gerber E-tool. I have most of the clothes and lighter stuff. Her pack is much lighter also and has an external frame so the bag can be removed to pack meat or other heavy items to camp. I tried to make her bag light, and expendable so my bag would be enough. Her bag carries the following.......

catfish hunter- its great that you have a bag ready for "her". as mentioned earlier in the thread, most bags are personallized to the individual, so the one thing i see missing for the girlfriends "BOB" would be any and all feminine hygene products she will require during the emergency. if momma aint happy...no one will be happy.

Where did you find the sonic grenades? Everywhere I checked said they were no longer available. That is a great idea. As far as the BOB, I agree with the comments here, all will be different. I might add some zip ties. They are light and compact, and can be used for many things. Got some good ideas too.

A tripwire tied to a stack of pots, pans n' rocks works just as well as a battery operated personal alarm. Ive used it to wake me up in bear country and it works well. You already have those items in your bob. Good to go!

The girlfriend's bag has a Victorionox swiss champ knife with all that, just haven't updated my list I pasted there that recent I guess.

Good idea on the "feminine products" They are even a multi-use item to plug a gunshot or similar wound quickly short-term.

I got the sonic gernades off ebay, can't remember the store's name.

Zip ties are a good idea too.

For the pots & pans trip wire, I used a beer can full of rocks with my line under the tab to alert me to bites when sleeping on all night catfishing trips. Good idea, should have thought of that already.

I have been working on rigging a large marine cooler painted tan for an extra truck box. It wouldn't be packable long distance without the vehicle, but could be cached short-term and carry extra food, water, and ammo that won't fit in the packs. I have contractor bags, a tarp and gorilla tape in it also to help seal it better if I need to cache it for a while somewhere. A cooler will always be useful once I get to my destination for water or food storage also.