Sign in to follow this  
kuzmajr

Sharpening a homemade knife

I have a bunch about making your own knives and since i had an new edger blade laying around I cut out a shape that I liked and went to town with a file. It is pretty close to having an edge. Where my confusion comes in is what to do next. Do I need to heat treat or anneal it? I have a gatco knife sharpening kit and tried the coarsest stone and it seems like it is not doing a thing. Do I need to put it in an oven for a while? If I do how long what temp and what am I looking for? After it gets annealed, if that is what it needs, is it ready to sharpen?

Also how do some peole get the blade so shiny, not that that is what I want but I am interested for future knives. If I decide to do the mustard treatment is there anything else I need to apply to the blade to prevent rust?

Thnaks,

Ed

I have only made a few knives out of tool steel and this what I do. After you have the shape and beval all set you heat treat it and then dunk it in oil so that it keeps the new shape of the knife. then I stick it in an oven at 400 degrees for about an hour and half. Then I take sharpening stones to give it its edge. To shine it, you sand the part you want shined progressivly through many different grits until you get to the smallest grit and there are no scrathces on the metal, then you buff it with a buffing compound and a buffing wheel.

I have been working on a homemade knife from an edger blade and have the shape cut and have been using a file to try and sharpen it, but just cannot get it where I want it. I also have a Gatco Sharpening system but the stones do not seem to make a scratch in the blade. Please help, I do not have a forge only a propane torch. It is pretty easy to file just wanted to make it as sharp as possible. I have tried to baton with it and it is awesome and the edge stayed at the same sharpness it began with. Any ideas?