Sign in to follow this  
101matt

Boy Scout Troop.What was yours????and Where??

For me it was getting off the street and out of trouble.I learned how to tie knots and sharpen a blade.To camp in the snow in Michigan.What an OATH was.

Troop 578 Detroit(Redford)..Mr Howell was THE man.

I was never in Scouts as a boy, but as soon as my youngest son was old enough for Cub Scouts we signed him up and since no one else was stepping up to be a Den Leader (huge problem these days it seems) I volunteered to be the Den Leader. One of the biggest reason I got involved it that is also seems that kids these days (amazing how I sound more like my father everyday) have no sense or desire of self reliance. None of them seem to play outside anymore, and they are turning into chubby, pasty basement dwellers.

Troop 249, Crosby, Texas. The troop was not nearly as good as I would have wished it to be. I was the troop bugler. I learned a few things about respecting the Flag, Honor and Duty. Perhaps the biggest thing is that somewhere in this time, either from my dad, the scouts or church I learned to truly hate lies. Honesty has at times been inconvenient but on many more occasions honesty and the reputation for being honest has been more valuable than any other possession I've ever had.

For me it was getting off the street and out of trouble.I learned how to tie knots and sharpen a blade.To camp in the snow in Michigan.What an OATH was.

Troop 578 Detroit(Redford)..Mr Howell was THE man.

i remember when A. James Mansion use to get the cub scouts out on the highways in the hot sun, walking for miles picking up trash. the parents back then thought it was cute but ole A. James knew what he was doing. he would get the scouts out there dragging arse, little water, and picking up trash on the WV roads, then either take them for ice cream, or take a freaking pic with them. the kids hated it sooo bad. lol

never made it past tenderfoot. troop was disbanded after two scouts got in a brawl. cant even remember the troops number.

I was a leader in my sons scout career for 12 years. Not sure who learned more the scouts or me. would not have missed a minute of it in retrospect.

Troop 131 Rochester NY

I advanced to Life Scout before my '61 MGA and girls become more important to me than earning merit badges, weekend camping and hiking trips. If only I knew then what I think I know now.

One thing I've always remembered though is that the meaning of the scout motto "Be Prepared" is that a scout must prepare himself by previous thinking out and practicing how to act on any accident or emergency so that he is never taken by surprise.

I was a prepper long before the tag went public.

Troop 129, Anchorage, Alaska.

One weekend a month, a week in the summer, out real camping, with no electricity, seemed never enough. didn't matter if it was raining, mosquito laden, or snowing. if it wasn't negative 30, camping with a short hike, was still on.

Pack 168 Trumbull, CT. Now that I think of it the BSA has a ton of acreage throughout the country, not a bad Bug Out location or the lack of any other plans you may have. They all have stocked ponds, and tons of shelters. Here in CT all you need is to be part of an active Troop, Pack etc.

Troop 96 Stillwater and Hampton NJ Sussex area council last troop to hunt trap and carry sheath knives officially as a troop! Damn, council hated us especially in restrictive NJ and the neutered Boy Scout leadership that were taking over. We were too... what was they called us oh yeah archaic and a bad influnce to the new generation of scouts.