Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Rebel

Thoughts on Doomsday Preppers & After Armeggedon Shows on NatGeo & History Channel?

I do think that people have to be a bit deluded to assume that because the US Government is prepping for all sort of nasty potential scenarios, that the majority of citizens will be taken care of as a result.

It goes more towards another section of this forum, but I found "World War Z" to be completely illuminating (and terrifying) as it explained not only how little chance there would be to stop a pandemic illness from wiping out people - even if it's not zombies, just a bad flu strain could be enough - but even more, the rationale that those "in charge" used to survive. In that book, the government basically pulled back to a defensible position and waited for the worst to pass, even going so far as to arm/equip outposts simply to draw attention away from the government's main location. Long after most people were dead (or worse), the government finally stepped in to clean up and reassert control. But it was months or years before that happened... and to me, that sounds completely plausible. We have so many people and so much territory that keeping everything under control may not be possible, and anyone who assumes that they and their family will be a priority for the government is in for a sad wake-up call.

So that's a round-about way of saying that I am glad that there are shows on TV that are urging people to at least consider taking some personal responsibility for prepping. And I'm glad to be working out my own plan and getting supplies in order, too, so that I don't have to be one of the confused, hungry, and desperate masses.

My biggest complaint with Doomsday Preppers is that the show often discounts whether the scenario is worth prepping over. They give statistics about the likelihood of a volcano erupting in Yellowstone or what the Fed thinks interest rates will be, so it seems like the preppers are probably overreacting. It would be more helpful - and a better encouragement - if they explain the odds but ALSO point out that the preps would be good for other, more likely situations. Maybe listing what "the experts" think are the most likely scenarios for that region would be more useful, even if it's more short-term/SHTF than TEOTWAWKI.

As an aside, I think the green movement is a FANTASTIC cover for a lot of prepping activity, especially in terms of setting up a BOL, learning long-term skills like sustainable gardening, collecting rainwater, etc. You can stick to the pro-environment aspects of prepping in a public setting, gather information about what would help you and what new ideas there are, without giving away that you're a prepper.

Guest survival101

Very well made points Oregon. I'm in agreement with you. And, I will continue to watch the show to get some tips on what to do, and sadly, what not to do. It's interesting seeing real people's individual takes on prepping.

i know that the fat guy got a raw deal when ruled mentally unfit and lost his guns and some prep supplies, but I had to laugh when was doing his run and gun and the tac-vest was not big enough to go around him. his helmet was funny too.

if guess on crazy people sign up but you think they could find some rational folks who have gone to precious metals, gun dealers to explain the demand, camping wholsalers and such.... just a thought but guess that is not good TV.

I'll answer my own question, he went crazy, I have a sneaking suspicion that he has said things on his videos to intentionally piss people off and he got screwed for it, didnt do much research, just a theory.It's sad in a way, because he seems like he actually is suicidal now but what are you gonna do? anyways, I have no guns to take so suck it government, you will have to be happy with taxes and hatred, I mean loyalty. That other guy blew his thumb knuckle out, what about that, I feel like not putting your thumb in front of a gun especially while on TV is a no brainer. But seriously, I like learning about varied "events" that are prepped for and getting different tips, no matter how much canned chicken I'll have to eat or how many body parts I'll explode, some of them have great ideas, and the Crovel is cool.

"One of the biggest is that "they" or the government are going to give you timely information that allows you to make rational survival decisions. They are going to issue orders to do what makes their control easier. By the time you figure out that they do not have your best interest at heart or that what they tell you to do doesn't work, it will be too late to take effective actions."

I would take that in a whole different direction if I was everyone here in the event of a true S.H.T.F. or TEOTWAWKI stay clear of all gov. facilities and personell i.e. do not look for help there. All you will find in an event man made or natural that brings national martial law or inactment of the hinted at and wispered about so called War Powers Act is a bullet. it is a fact Uncle Sam is prepping beyond the norm but the governments priority is not you but self preservation of itself first this started during the cold war with M.A.D. and with the 1985, 94, 2003, it stayed relatively the same except for the addition of threats that would activate the plan however in August 2010 there was a major rewrite and was hand carried to all the Installation CMDR's and the CMDR's of all major commands via courier. included in the opening it states "Anybody approaching a Federal Installation or facility without official reason or authorization to be there "during or following an event while martial law is in effect are deemed to be security risks and therefore a direct threat to the Government of the United States of America regardless of the individual or groups reasons and the immediate use of lethal force is deemed nessasary and is authorized." it goes on to out line the definitions and scenarios that would affect inactmen,t response, specific authorities, chain of command ect. ect. the document is 1245 pages long. and also details the provisioning of installations and fascilities with additional long term provisions and equipment beyond those nessasary for extended operations. The moral is unless we are talking a regional event in a true national or global event stay away from our glorious government if you value yours lives. the sad thing about this warning is I am not a conspiracy nut. So take my advice as you will it is out there now so decide for yourselves. As for the NatGeo show some good info and ideas although there are a lot of large holes with their plans and in each family and, or groups abilities and planned responses and their handling of the info pertaining to their personal I.d's preps and locations was horrible and two live in an awful area remember that no fixed position has ever been successfully permenantly defended. Those who intentionally put themselves into a defend situation or are counting on their ability to defend have already lost.

you said it brother! when i was being "interviewed" in the service one of the questions i was asked was," would you live fire on civilians if ordered" make no mistakes, this government cares nothing about you and yours!! in a shtf keep on the move AWAY from your government! my answer to their question was it depended on my own personal situation, i don't think they liked it but i still got in the "clicke". that's how i learned as much as i did.

Just finished watching the latest Doomsday Preppers (LOL). The lady stated that she was decended from the Hatfields in virginia. There is a problem with that; the Hatfield and McCoy feud was faught on the West Virginia and Kentucky border. West Virginia was established way before the feud started. Virginia is a very long distance from the Kentucky and West Virginia border.