Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Rebel

Thoughts on Doomsday Preppers & After Armeggedon Shows on NatGeo & History Channel?

I liked how they graded some people and mostly agree with the recommendations they made on doomsday preppers. that one lady was interesting, hiding the fact she's got a truckload coming to her house, but then tells her name and city location on national TV.

i worry about finding a BOL, with a 6 month water supply. Other than that, I'd have to keep moving. Learning that bugs have alot more protein than chicken, i'm willing to change my taste buds foraging under rocks and logs.

I liked how they graded some people and mostly agree with the recommendations they made on doomsday preppers.

I thought they did a surprisingly good job (much better than I expected) as well. I disagreed with the idea of building a defensive compound with the few people the one group had. That compound is not a fortress, it is a trap for anyone who wants it and has any skill.

that one lady was interesting, hiding the fact she's got a truckload coming to her house, but then tells her name and city location on national TV.

I think the Lady in question is the Survival Mom, Lisa Bedford, thesurvivalmom.com , and like many, she has sacrificed some of her OPSEC to help others prepare.

i worry about finding a BOL, with a 6 month water supply. Other than that, I'd have to keep moving. Learning that bugs have alot more protein than chicken, i'm willing to change my taste buds foraging under rocks and logs.

A few hundred thousand bears can't be wrong! This summer has put water availability more in focus for me as well.

Rebel: I too look somewhat skeptically at some of these shows, but if one looks there is something good to be found in any programming like this. I even enjoyed the series Fallen Skies for the scenarios it presented. It's hard to say if the attact will come from outer space or politicians, but the survival efforts may prove similar.

While working a friend's table today at the local gun show, we struck up a conversation and somehow survival came up. I mentioned he might have interest in the SC site and he immediately confessed that his familly was into prepping to the extent they could afford it. They are trying different kinds of canned foods and the ones everyone likes, they are buying more. Storing water, too. My point here is I probably never would have guessed that Chad was into prepping which makes me think there are a lot more of us out there than we might imagine. So, when you get the opportunity share your beliefs and if you get cockeyed looks, just move on. In the balance you just might run into a lot more new friends just like here at SC.

Remember 9-11.

True enough, John, but care is required. I refuse to answer a lot of questions directly. The answer to "do you prep" usually runs to "well, we were grid down for 2 weeks after Ike so I think that at least that long is a good idea". I often point out that the US Government says we need at least 3 days but I'm a little paraniod so I think a couple of weeks, or a little longer than whatever you think is the maximum grid down time, is a good idea. Then we talk about how to prep. Guns are even a little more sensitive. I'll talk about a 3 gun battery but I'd be really careful about talking about my guns or how many I have.

I don't lie. My wife calls it "a Catholic lie"; I make a statement and let them draw the false conclusion. If it gets too inquisitive I will tell them it is none of their business, especially because if they are pushy about what I have, I get suspicious as to why they want to know. Talking to you guys is different that talking to my neighbors and actually a little safer, but I think maintaining OPSEC is also a major part of prepping.

Edited by Capt Bart

The shows were informative/hilarious(I think we all know which one was hilarious).I think it's important to educate and plan as a large part of your prepping. You can have all the mre's, guns, and reading material in the world. But what if things happen a bit too close to you. Bunker or no bunker, a bad disaster(or even occupation;terrorists, their military, our military,cops,china,shriners,whatever) might mean it's time to leave. I love all the info available on water purification on this site. I currently live in an apartment so traveling is def part of the plan should SHTF. As far as sharing specific info with people I don't know goes, EVERYONE SHUT UP AND STOP LOOKING AT ME IM TOTALLY NORMAL!!! no but really, a lot of people are ignorant and you never know who their friends are. If you start talking about what if, they might think you are gonna be the cause. People think I'm weird as it is (totally justified) I don't need them to know the specifics. I lived above some people who got robbed (at knifepoint....) because someone heard they had guns. That story seems like it has some holes I'll be the first to admit, however, guns are expensive and people get desperate. Radios, flashlight, knives, other crap that is easy to brag about, also expensive. The forum is great. People can help and communicate easily with no real strings attached. Something I think about quite a bit is the idea of some sort of post SHTF network. Sounds nice, like minded people, all prepared, ready to rebuild or whatever. plots pointed on a map, a secret "safe code" system to communicate, I'm all out of stuff so I'm headin down to Dale Gribbles house cuz he said we're cool. Well due to the fact that I know everyone is a Jewish-freemason-homosexual that works for the government to rebuild the nazi party , how can I trust anyone, especially after SHTF. Tough question. Can you read people? Have you purchased any bridges lately? Does my neighbor remember my dog sh*tting on his lawn and me not caring? Does my girlfriends dad still have those guns?(doesnt matter I swear he was a Zombie).I think the "take in or turn away" questions could be debated forever. What does everyone think? What happens if a lot of preppers go crazier? I hope at least one psychologist survives to help us figure out who we can trust, if anyone.

I make might make some feel uncomfortable but you have my word it is all in fun and do not have any hatred towards any specific groups of people.

Just when I thought we were alike you go and ruin it with this!;) ( My wife insists that I enjoy annoying people - we won't discuss whether or not she is right) A psychologist I was in seminary with told me that the job of the psychologist was to make the unbearable endurable not to cure. That somehow didn't reassure me about the field in general. The entire OPSEC/"Grey man"problem is a tough one. I have a sister that I tell nothing because she likes to talk. It is hard not to brag about your latest gun or solar oven or natural gas, full house generator or whatever. You want to share your good fortune and encourage others to prep as well. It is just an issue of how far can we go and not endanger ourselves. There is a truism that no secret is safe if more than one person knows it. I hate it when people tells me that I am the only one that knows something besides themselves. First off, I know it probably isn't true and secondly, when the other person talks, I'll likely get the blame!

If anyone has solid ideas here, it'd be great to hear them. I heard some advice that made sense to me - it's the best I've heard to date. If you talk about your preps make it appear that you have just enough and no extra. If I share with you I am going to go hungry to help you kind of thing. That might help. To the question of how much do you have I tend to say things like 'the government recommends a 3 day supply so I figure a week might be reasonable just for safety's sake' or 'Ike lasted a little over 2 weeks so I figure that is what you need as a minimum". As to guns I extol the virtues of the 3 gun battery but I never say exactly what I have. That way you can help and encourage without giving away the whole show. I guess saying nothing would be the most secure but I just don't seem to be able to manage that trick.

I live in the south, and we get Hurricanes... Everyone has always given me "that smile" (yep, your a nut) for having a week or two of canned goods set back for hurricanes. Then Katrina came though, and they saw people without food or water for weeks and the govt couldn't help fast enough. Now when I say something about prepping, the "your a nut smile" is replaced with "yeah, I know. I'll start putting some stuff together soon". With these shows, at least prepping is becoming more "mainstream" and I dont get looked at funny anymore for having some canned goods and a couple of candles...

I did not see one of the shows mentioned, but I did see the one on Nat Geo about the family that leaves too late and takes off for Idaho... The best part to me is that they are in Cali, where AR's are heavily regulated. Yet in the show, every thug had one and when they got into the country, at the fortified town. They too all had AR's, camo pants and southern accents... In Cali! Good show. Not accurate, but fun to watch none the less... I'll have to watch out for the other one... What's the title and what channel?

Edited by Ready?4What?

I just try to present myself as the type of person that no one would think to ask about that stuff. When someone needs a knife they're usually surprised that I'm carrying one. When someone needs a flashlight they don't expect me to be the guy who whips one out. When someone needs it I just happen to have it on me. Don't be the guy who has an answer for everything. Don't feel like you have to explain yourself when someone needs a pair of pliers and you have a multi-tool on you. Don't make a big deal out of it and they won't either.

I think most of us are here not just to gain and share knowledge, but because we are social creatures. Our tendency with people we like is to share freely, its Human Nature. Unfortunately, not all folks are the sharing types.

Even with good people, if it comes down to my kid starving or yours, mine wins. Always, at whatever cost.

Then there are just some greedy, lazy evil bastards who think survival of the fittest means brute strength. (It actually goes to the most adaptable in the long run, most of the time).

Regardless, there is more than a little wisdom to the military's "Need To Know" doctrine. In it, information is compartmentalized and heavily guarded, broken down to "Do you have a legitimate need to know regarding particular information in order to accomplish your mission"? If not, the information is not shared with you. That way if you are a spy, Saboteur, or captured, you are less of a risk than if you know everything.

If you are fortunate enough to have a retreat, weapons stockpile, food reserves, a water supply, fuel, medical supplies, barter goods, etc, even if you don't face a TEOTWAWKI disaster, the more people who know about it and its specifics, the higher the risk you have of having to defend or lose it.

Mainstream Sheeple people think we are paranoid or just plain nuts to prepare for something that may never happen.They will be changing their tune if it does and the more who know even that you were a prepper, "gun nut", or had a survival(ist) mindset, the more will come knocking on or knocking down your door! Keep it to yourselves! Teach your kids to keep it to themselves, practice being the vague gray man. Don't wear NRA hats, Glock T-shirts, and camo BDUs everywhere you go! Peel those decals off your 4X4 too.

The problem with the History and NatGeo TV programs is that they focus on what will happen when an asteriod, sun flare, super volcano eruption gives the world a death blow.

They DO NOT focus on why things happened in Argentina, Egypt, Libia, Greece, etc......

I am not aftaid of dying with my family when the "Big One" hits but living in a failed nation state would suck.

true.. large scale end of the world scenarios are what make for great TV.. its more dramatic

nations and countries slowly falling into anarchy because of political and or economics crisis or because of delayed repercussions from natural disasters is boring even though those are the more likely scenarios.

remember this quote?

"this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but with a whimper"

Mainstream Sheeple people think we are paranoid or just plain nuts to prepare for something that may never happen.They will be changing their tune if it does and ...

My most favorite "reel" prepper, Burt Gummer from the Tremors series, has a quote I like in Tremors 2 - "when you need it, and don't have it, you'll sing a different tune". Fun series of shows, out in left field but I like Burt!

The problem with the History and NatGeo TV programs is that they focus on what will happen when an asteriod, sun flare, super volcano eruption gives the world a death blow.

They DO NOT focus on why things happened in Argentina, Egypt, Libia, Greece, etc......

I am not aftaid of dying with my family when the "Big One" hits but living in a failed nation state would suck.

The show that we are talking about is based on a pandemic. Society slowly shuts down as people are scared to go to work or are dead. It is based around one family that stays at home too long and then tries to evacuate LA to get to family in Idaho. It covers gangs of looters, out of gas in truck, fortified towns along the way, etc. One they get where they are going, they face infection from lack of antibiotics, etc...

It is a little generalized and a few details are embellished, but it is a decent way to waste 2 hours of your time... The fact that the media is even acknowledging the problem is what amazes me!

i have seen that show. it was average/moderately entertaining.

there was a good article not to long ago about the recent movie Contagion(sp??) and how the pandemic problem is over hyped. basically it theorized that we could be devastated as a country by a disease but that it would be a slow killer similar to a flu vs somehting that kills you in 12 hours. without a long infection process it would be hard for people to spread the disease b/c by dying within a short period of time you limit how far it can travel and create a safety net for those who will not come outside.

a little off topic buy it was an interesting argument.

Where I live in Michigan, about the worst prepping concern most people have is whether or not they can still get to the store or their job when the next snow storm comes through; or if they have some flashlights in the closet if the next severe T-storm knocks out the power for a few hours. Most people never consider the possibility that the next snow storm might see them stranded for hours or overnight. It never crosses their minds that the next time a severe T-storm or tornado comes through it might do more damage than turn off the lights - like interrupting municipal water supply. I still catch amused smiles when I pull out my leatherman for whatever small task its needed for. The fact that I keep boots, snow pants, ski gloves, and a collapsible snow shovel in my trunk during the winter is somehow foreign to most people - even if they see hundreds of people in the ditch every winter.

To me, a show like this is great for several reasons. 1. It puts very serious (and in some cases real) survival scenarios out there into a more mainstream forum. 2. It makes the fact that I have a leatherman on my belt and a stocked pantry (besides other preparations people don't see) not seem so "odd." 3. It plants the seed of basic preparation techniques. People aren't going to go and make a fish pond / greenhouse in their pool, but they might buy some extra canned goods and fill up a few emptied milk jugs with water.

Edited by murjd17

The fact that the media is even acknowledging the problem is what amazes me!

Not just the media but even government agencies are now seriously talking about prepping. Several of the 'lessons' to be learned were not intentional and often I fear not learned. One of the biggest is that "they" or the government are going to give you timely information that allows you to make rational survival decisions. They are going to issue orders to do what makes their control easier. By the time you figure out that they do not have your best interest at heart or that what they tell you to do doesn't work, it will be too late to take effective actions. Another is that it is the small things that often kill you. One of the interesting things is the effect of the breakdown of law. WROL (without rule of Law) most folks will still act as if the law is still there and working. That leads to some really bad decisions. That and the fact that a thorn in the hand can kill you if you don't get it treated, that a cold can lead to pneumonia and death, that any number of things we don't consider critical can become critical very quickly after a breakdown. These shows often show the bias of the producers. That is not a bad thing, but we need to be sure we pickup the correct lessons.

I agree. But the fact that it is being put out there is what pleases me. Also, all around town, alot of gas stations have Ready.org placards on all of the gas pumps telling everyone to make a "Kit".

Getting ready is becoming more of a mainstream/accepted way of thinking.

I agree. But the fact that it is being put out there is what pleases me. Also, all around town, alot of gas stations have Ready.org placards on all of the gas pumps telling everyone to make a "Kit".

Getting ready is becoming more of a mainstream/accepted way of thinking.

Yes, it is and I don't know if that reassures me or scares the C**P out of me. I am losing hope that my grand kids will have to figure out what to do with all of grandpa's junk. That sound you hear may just be the geese flying south for the winter (my son saw them heading south in the Northeast US in August! Cold winter anyone?) or it could be the sound of the Black Swan on its way. I think I wish I knew what the government knows and isn't saying but maybe I'm better off not knowing.

Haha, maybe so...

Well, the geese here are really screwed up. For about the past 5-7 years, they have stayed put. They have become a real nuscence, eating peoples lawns and such... I can go any day of the week, any week of the year and find them in one of the parks or in the rich neighborhoods with the big green lawns...

First off, I was kind of excited when I saw the preview for those shows. Livn for the apoc is a terrible show, I hated how they had to put the one couple in there that really did seem a bit looney. It ticks me off cause it makes people think that we are all like that. It's kind of like guns in the Simpons, though at the same time I don't care because i'm not like that at all. Its just crappy that they always have to post the negative aspect of subjects just for ratings.

"One of the biggest is that "they" or the government are going to give you timely information that allows you to make rational survival decisions. They are going to issue orders to do what makes their control easier. By the time you figure out that they do not have your best interest at heart or that what they tell you to do doesn't work, it will be too late to take effective actions."

I would take that in a whole different direction if I was everyone here in the event of a true S.H.T.F. or TEOTWAWKI stay clear of all gov. facilities and personell i.e. do not look for help there. All you will find in an event man made or natural that brings national martial law or inactment of the hinted at and wispered about so called War Powers Act is a bullet. it is a fact Uncle Sam is prepping beyond the norm but the governments priority is not you but self preservation of itself first this started during the cold war with M.A.D. and with the 1985, 94, 2003, it stayed relatively the same except for the addition of threats that would activate the plan however in August 2010 there was a major rewrite and was hand carried to all the Installation CMDR's and the CMDR's of all major commands via courier. included in the opening it states "Anybody approaching a Federal Installation or facility without official reason or authorization to be there "during or following an event while martial law is in effect are deemed to be security risks and therefore a direct threat to the Government of the United States of America regardless of the individual or groups reasons and the immediate use of lethal force is deemed nessasary and is authorized." it goes on to out line the definitions and scenarios that would affect inactmen,t response, specific authorities, chain of command ect. ect. the document is 1245 pages long. and also details the provisioning of installations and fascilities with additional long term provisions and equipment beyond those nessasary for extended operations. The moral is unless we are talking a regional event in a true national or global event stay away from our glorious government if you value yours lives. the sad thing about this warning is I am not a conspiracy nut. So take my advice as you will it is out there now so decide for yourselves. As for the NatGeo show some good info and ideas although there are a lot of large holes with their plans and in each family and, or groups abilities and planned responses and their handling of the info pertaining to their personal I.d's preps and locations was horrible and two live in an awful area remember that no fixed position has ever been successfully permenantly defended. Those who intentionally put themselves into a defend situation or are counting on their ability to defend have already lost.

I enjoy the shows on TV and have seen things both correct and some realy dumb.It is getting a core group of new people into preping and more companys offering Items that are usefull.Thats a good thing.

I totaly AGREE with W7.Stay out of the way when it comes to the goverment.

My local area WILL become a hot spot after 2 weeks,its about keeping COAL running north.The rail road will be used for transport of everything because the roads will be CLOGED.

That is where the Military will get involved and will work with the local Rail road Leos.

The National guard in my area is made up of MPs and Enginers,many are crossed trained and I expect them to be called into service,BUT not in our AREA.

They will be sent to other citys because they wont shoot at a family member here,and we will get a bunch of National Guard from NEW York who already think we are backwards.

The Regular Army will be deployed to major Citys for security and control.

I have a real fear of what will happen because I know the people in the Area I live in .They are Very loyal to the Family and will defend them first,I see some NG units saying "screw this" and cleaning out weapons and supplys and "bug in" in these mountains.

I have some friends in the "Sons of Confederate Veterns" and there are others around that will raise a different Flag because of the ANGER already in place.

I pray it never happens BUT there is a chance.

Let me be VERY plane about this ,given a chance for shit to go from bad to worse is very real and Im not saying I support any group,I could be a member of both the "Molly Blues" and the "Sons of Confederate Vet' because my great grand fathers were Irish and fought,one south and one north.

To NOT consider the out come of a SHTF in YOUR area is to be foolish..JMHO

After watching most of the shows, I have thought about what might happen here in the same situations. Its not good. There will still be bands of thugs trying to control the roads and food supplies. They won't care who you are, no one would be safe. Well, unless you knew them personally and were on their good side. I think most people who just had to look out for themselves would be fine. Those with loved ones to look after would either comply with the thugs or get far back into the sticks.

Here's the problem: most of the folks with ethics or morals would still be expecting order to be restored at some point. The one's who lack that kind of character wouldn't care to begin with and this would be their chance to hoop it up with a bunch of crazies waving guns in the back of a pick-up. They wouldn't care about the consequences of the crimes they were committing, even if order were to be restored in a week. If we "all" knew for sure that we were gonna be on our own for the long haul, these groups of bandits would never have a chance to form because the rest of us would know we had nothing to lose by defending ourselves against them and no one else was gonna come to the rescue. I think a few older gents from the Elks, Moose, and VFW would walk right up in bib overalls and put an end to those punks with double barrels. Then I think we would at least have a chance for some kind of system to evolve over time. We would still have to contend with desperados and keep our families hidden safe, but the raiders and rape gangs would be under the thumb of grandpa's old fashioned justice.