The first of the explosions occurred about a day after the shut down at Fukushima. An interesting note from Wikipedia is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Fukushima_I_nuclear_accidents

According to a report in the New York Times, "... at the start of the crisis Friday, immediately after the shattering earthquake, Fukushima plant officials focused their attention on a damaged storage pool for spent nuclear fuel at the No. 2 reactor at Daiichi, said a nuclear executive who requested anonymity ... The damage prompted the plant’s management to divert much of the attention and pumping capacity to that pool, the executive added. The shutdown of the other reactors then proceeded badly, and problems began to cascade.

Note their first concern of the most dangerous problem was the spent rod pools. That's called a 'HINT' for things to come.

For a whole host of reasons giving detailed timelines would be unwise for anyone who actually knows but you can simply look at the timeline linked to above and get a feeling for how long you have. When things started going very badly, resources were allocated to prevent the immediate problem from getting worse so the less immediate problems went even more sour. I suspect that would be true in any such event.

Something else to be aware of, it isn't just the radioactive problem. Many of these elements are poisons as well. Uranium close in to a reactor is likely to kill you by heavy medal poisoning long before the effects of the radiation dosage gets to you.

Depending on the exact scenario you will have time to scoot but I wouldn't waste time trying to figure out just how bad it's going to get. A simple grid down without any damage to the plant should give you several days to a week. If the backup power is lost with the grid you're looking at a Fukushima scenario and I WOULD GO NOW! The problem is would you know what you had after a Carrington or EMP event? Limited communications (maybe none), no effective management from any agency for days to weeks at least, people more concerned with their families and food than their jobs ...... Nope, I'd go sooner rather than later.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Thank you Capt Bart,

I've had some pretty in depth NBC training so I'm fairly familiar with how dangerous nuclear waste/explosions/meltdowns can be. Thus my plan is distance, I don't have the capacity to protect myself form the plethora of ways a nuclear device can kill or maim you. So from my perspective my best option is get as far away as I possibly can. I'll walk to Canada if I absolutely have to, may need an extra pair of boots for that though.

Glow little Glow worm glow worm glow worm

Old song just got stuck in the cranial ridges.

well I like to watch Ghost hunters they are so lost in the ethereal and think they got it all mapped out

in one show the got Russian permission to go to a town near Chernobyl and they had to be suited and

had a duration limit and all that jazz and its still cooking and it ain't with gas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl

and we have one just south of us HEREIN Texas now isn't that special LMAO

as if life was not difficult enough they add an extra layer of difficulty for survival

there are so many SCRAM plans sewer treatment plants will dump and cracking towers will

vent.

liquid chemicals will not remain liquid as nitrogen or pressure differentials will cause detonations

and a chemical cloud will engulf the land.

we have become technology / electronic dependent all the processes were mechanically controlled

now a skeleton crew runs an entire remote controlled plant.

If it is just a power outage they only have so long to do a shut in and if it is a EMP

event and I think this is most likely and not a Carrington event I believe this to be a rare to non

existent but it does not matter they both result in the same ends no power no control KABOOM.

there are no chemicals that are not made along the gulf coast PERIOD and in every form gas solid liquid

and every moment they are being transferred to trucks rail cars pipelines and ships barges.

not to mention grain a very dangerous dust and gas it also heats up if not vented KABOOM

Katrina surprised me because all of these were controlled well considering but a long term event

and all bets are off.

engineers have screwed up diesel power it was a dumb machine and simple now with all the electronics

they have intertwined into diesel engines they will fail I always thought that backup systems should

remain simple for obvious reasons but apparently not obvious to educated engineers

all other systems can be as complicated as they want emergency systems should be simple and non

technology based as possible and hardened for EMP and Carrington type scenarios IMO