Sign in to follow this  
Delta7

Joining the National Guard on 1/13/12. Any Tips?

I'll be doing the Split-Op program, meaning I don't do BCT until this summer and then AIT the next summer so I can finish my last year of college. I'm going to be a helicopter mechanic, then put in my packet for Aviation Warrant Officer.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips about Drill, BCT, AIT, or anything else.

EDIT: I deleted the warning that was here before. I wrote it late and night and did not realize how it sounded until too late. I apologize to everyone for the confusion this has/may have created.

Edited by Delta7
Taking foot out of mouth.

[

*****WARNING****

Any political comments about our government or the military in general will be removed and reported. Let's keep this civilized.

Looks like you will fit right in with the government we have now. Congratulations

Delta7,

Thank you, sir, for choosing to serve. I assume your training will be standard army Basic, AIT, and schools. It's been over 4 decades since I was in the training flow, but I did learn that the biggest requirement to making it through is to want it badly enough.

Remember the point of Basic is to break down the civilian mindset through stress and reform the civilian into a soldier. The role of the soldier is to 'kill people and break things' per General Collin Powell. Civilians don't think like that so the training commands have to put that mind set into recruits.

Try to never be first and never last. The first half of the middle third of any group is a good place to be. If there is a lot to do and one of the jobs is lousy, consider doing that job. I missed a lot of nonsense in OCS because I always went it to clean the Latrine. The Tac Officers and NCOs assumed I was a 'team' player ( a very good thing ) and they left me alone. Once when I didn't get my stuff 'march ordered' to the inspecting officers satisfaction, every body in the platoon got demerits but me because I was working in the latrine while they were working on their own stuff. Team comes first.

At some point in your training, the physical conditioning kicks in, you feel good physically and you get your mind wrapped around the 'Army Way'. At that point, pride takes the place of fatigue and you ARE an American GI. Relish that feeling because there is no other soldier in the world quite like an American GI.

[

*****WARNING****

Any political comments about our government or the military in general will be removed and reported. Let's keep this civilized.

Looks like you will fit right in with the government we have now. Congratulations

I meant like reported to a moderator or something. I still love and will argue non stop for freedom of speech and the right to personal opinions. I just don't want this turning into a debate about how corrupt/not corrupt the government or how the US army is/isn't used to further big corporations agendas or something like that.

I just want to avoid how almost any video on youtube about the gov or the military has a raging comment war between 2-3 people and you aren't able to actually read the positive or helpful comments due to everyone calling each other Hitler.

Thanks Capt for the advice and CCsir for the congrats. Rayz, I'm getting a haircut today, haha.

Edited by Delta7

Delta7:

I'm glad that I waited to post any comments til this evening. I would always WANT to thank anyone for their service, past or present. I could hardly do that early this morning, given your 'warning'. While I have a hard time buying your backtrack, (When has a mod here ever censored anyone for saying they were stepping up to serve? It seems to me that most everyone on this forum generally supports the military) I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and wish you luck...and continue to watch my own back

Thanks. I didn't really think of what my warning could mean out of context. I'm in several forums for other websites, and most people on those forums understand that being reported means a PM to the moderator. I just wanted to cover all my bases with that warning, and didn't realize what it sounded like till it was too late.

I've removed the warning after looking it over again. I really should have taken more time to pick better words. I had originally intended it to mean negative comments only, but realized I left out a few vital words that made it look like I didn't want ANY comments.

I'd like to apologize to everyone again. I'll be over here, quietly wiping off the egg from my face and trying to get that foot out of my mouth.

My nephews' attitude was to volunteer for everything, and he did well. I was the carefree spirit that stepped up if no one else did, because the displeasure of any drill sergeant isn't worth it, and they'll take it out on whoever doesn't volunteer. If you're last, it happens- but don't give up, and never quit. If you're last on a ten mile run, but you're still trying they'll understand. If you give up, they'll ride you to see if you'll break. It's a mental game, be prepared and have fun!

Great delta7

so now I can say congratulations.

start memorizing the UCMJ

listen carefully don't not believe anything just take it with a grain of salt unless it's training

you can take that to the bank.

write everything down in post log during change of guard of verbal orders given

and both sign off.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

{Guantanamo guards would be better off if they learned this}.

think well before you answer some are always psychoanalyzing your answer.

if your absolutely sure of the answer give it if not remain silent.

the old adage "better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

do not be too quick to volunteer, but never shirk your duty, If you do not know ask

and do everything to the best of your ability and be consistent in demeanor and work.

not everyone is going to like you and some are just screw ups do not argue whit them

if an idiot and a rocket scientist are screaming at each other and you do not know either

of them then how do you know who the rocket scientist is?

and learn to live on 75% of your money and have an automatic draft

to a civilian interest bearing account and do an auto pay to a whole life or universal life

in 21and 3/4 years you'll thank me and in an emergency you can cash it out.

so 5% to insurance 20% savings and live off the rest.

this can be argued but never invest in others business but yourself a personal business

insurance as above and learn distress sales of property and goods and pay cash

a note last longer than the love of the item generally speaking

own your home before you get married remember 50% of all marriages end in divorce

they get the house you get the shaft, or marry well above your station.

and remember you can get credit for years military

service at some jobs that helps you retire early so the year before you decide to leave

service look for state and federal jobs that allow you to buy back military time {good thing}

glide ratio for a helicopter is more like brick and your riding a 400+ gallon fuel tank with

a weapons platform attached to it and no ejection seat.

but there is nothing else like them you can get so close you need a bayonet mounted

on the nose and a rear view mirror for parallel parking ...God Speed

well i guess i missed something (warning). oh well.

hey delta congrats bro. thank you for stepping up to the plate to try and make a difference.

i know how you feel about a post/reply being taken the wrong way. this is the web bro, if it can be

taken the wrong way it probably will. ive learned that over and over again. to nobodies fault, just the way it is sometimes. i dont know what ya said but put it behind you and keep your head up, egg or no egg.

Thanks for stepping up! That being said, here's my 2 cents worth (if that): You can bet on being deployed to a combat zone with all the risks that active duty personnel have but with much worse equipment, not as intensive training and with a lot less benefits. NG is now part of the REGULAR army components!!!

Whatever you decide - get into shape!!!!!

I'm like you,I've always have been a crappy runner. I was dating a 1st SGT back then who got me into a PT program and got me up to 5 miles. Pushups/situps 200 ea. I thought I was ready! Hah!! You got to be able to do 16 mis at double-time. This was in peace time.

The services take physical conditioning extremely serious. If you check out anysoldier.com (a great support site) you can find out from the troops directly what's required.

I would highly recommend you check it out instead of listening to all us old farts!!!

As part of our final PT on Paris Island was we had to run 3 miles in 21 minuets or less or we failed PT and could not graduate into the Marines. We had one guy that did it in 26 minuets and thought he was getting out of going to Nam. I guess they figured he would speed up with someone shooting at him. Because they sent him anyway.

FROM this old Fart.

Keep to your self the first week,yes do clean the latreans and anything else you can to keep out of site.Yes lean to run but dont finish first in anything phycial.The drills will use you as a target for others to compete against.

Do KP,I loved it(I grew up in a restruant.lol )I washed pots and pans at Dix and I got the cooks to ask for me,I ate very well.ALWAYS take care of the COOKS!!!!!(there tents went up first in the field)say thanks no matter what you get from anyone with higher rank.It will be over before you know it.Keep up on your prayer life and after a week find those you can trust,buddy up and keep each others back.It is about TEAM work.AIT taught me that.

sorry...im done..

Edited by 101matt

I forgot to mention it until femvet mention the running. At 'lost in the woods' MO they taught us the "airborne shuffle" I was a double time but at about a half step. You could do that all day and half the night without stopping if you had to. We did 25 miles in 7 to 8 hours right at the end of basic. Weird thing was by then it felt good!

Start running now if your not. Your legs will thank you when they throw you into the run X number of miles a day game. And practice on hills if you can, you get a better cardio work out from going up hills.