Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

shelf life for foods

Ok, here's my 2 cents. Ideally all food should be stored around 70F away from light and moisture. In my case I'm using a closet in a spare bedroom with the large buckets on the floor and the #10 cans on shelfs.

Shelvlife for dehydrated foods stored in optimal conditions is 25-30 years.

Thanks for the info femvet59. Was looking into the #10 cans. Storage is an issue for me tho. Was hoping it could be stored in my unheated garage. I do have a potential spare closet. Eventually I'd like to have the garage heated

Sorry if I'm highjacking this thread but can anyone reccomend any good brands of dehydrated food? I;ve looked into Augason Farms. Anyone have any other brands or experience with this one? Again sorry for the highjack

Sorry if I'm highjacking this thread but can anyone reccomend any good brands of dehydrated food? I;ve looked into Augason Farms. Anyone have any other brands or experience with this one? Again sorry for the highjack

I've bought regularly thru beprepared.com , they carry a good variety, great service. If you go online, you can request their monthly catalog, they always have specials and you're not forced into buying quantities you might not want. I've also been doing price comparisons and ON AVERAGE they are the cheapest.

Thanks for the info femvet59. Was looking into the #10 cans. Storage is an issue for me tho. Was hoping it could be stored in my unheated garage. I do have a potential spare closet. Eventually I'd like to have the garage heated

Shawn, storage is an issue for almost everybody! Some quick ideas: Under the beds, Bigger containers on closet floors, put a board over and use it for your shoes, get some space-saver bags for extra bedding and clothes, you'll be surprised how much extra space that generates and it protects your stuff from dirt, bugs and water amage. Is your couch pushed up against a wall? Pull it out some, voila, lots of room. Water containers in the garage. Hope this helps some.

Come on, everybody, ideas?????

Could you give some examples? Part of my prob is I have a split level house with cathedral ceilings. No attic, no basement. Have a one car garage attached to the house. Another part of my prob is the Mrs thinks I'm crazy trying to prep like I am. Although its helped in the recent past so shes not completely against it. I do have a spare closet in my daughters room I'm trying to convince her to clean out and use. Its mostly the food I'm concerned about. I'm learning that temp can have a big effect. Anyone have any tips for convincing a significant other that this is a good idea? Like I said I started doing this after no power for 5 days with hurricane Irene but she still hangs on to the belief that bad thngs won't happen or that help will come.

Shawn,

Irene may have been a blessing for you. If you haven't done so you might look at

http://survivalcache.com/family-survival-emergency-plan-emergency-preparedness/

There is often a level of fear in recognizing the need for prepping. Don't belittle the fear even though it can be frustrating for the prepper. As far as storage, my office/radio shack became a pantry (NOT A SURVIVAL STORAGE AREA) by adding a bunch of Sam's club metal shelves. They used to be called Gorilla shelves but I don't know what they're called now. They do come from China but get five 2ft X 4 ft shelves per unit. It was my space so it was acceptable. In addition Bed, Bath, and Beyond had some 2ft X 6ft X 6 in boxes for storing winter clothes under the bed. Makes excellent storage under the bed. Another alternative is 'hurricane boxes'; plastic boxes with lids 2ft x 3 ft or so. They stack nicely in a corner and can be grabbed, loaded in a vehicle and go. Just remember to rotate the items. Even SPAM can go bad after 5 years or so.

I would not buy 'survival' food; at least not at first. Get the stuff you normally eat but just add a little each time. That way when something runs out in the kitchen you can go get it from the panty. The pantry quickly becomes a normal part of kitchen operations and is valued.

It isn't for bad things or even TSHTF. It's to avoid the inconveniences of forced trips to the store when the weather is bad kind of thing.

Thanks Capt for the advise. Funny you brought up that article. the first day I was on here I printed it out and asked her to read it. She hasn't yet but I think she'll come around. irene opened her eyes too just not as much as I'd hope for. I think I'm goimng to take your advise with the reg pantry food for now and will look into that shelving. Maybe I can talk her into using a portion of our downstairs family room.

Could you give some examples? Part of my prob is I have a split level house with cathedral ceilings. No attic, no basement. Have a one car garage attached to the house. Another part of my prob is the Mrs thinks I'm crazy trying to prep like I am. Although its helped in the recent past so shes not completely against it. I do have a spare closet in my daughters room I'm trying to convince her to clean out and use. Its mostly the food I'm concerned about. I'm learning that temp can have a big effect. Anyone have any tips for convincing a significant other that this is a good idea? Like I said I started doing this after no power for 5 days with hurricane Irene but she still hangs on to the belief that bad thngs won't happen or that help will come.

shawn,

man your gonna have to go slow with the wife bro. remind her how long it took katrina folks to get help.

ask her if its a smart idea to have a fire extinguisher in the house. of course the answer is gonna be yes

"incase we need it" is usually the answer. well same thing with prep's, "incase we need them".

she has to realize, if SHTF, her family is very unlikely to be the first on the list to be rescued. it just doesnt work that way. she gonna have to wait in a long line of folks that need help.

and i dare say that these folks in need are probably not gonna be looking like they just walked out of the local church services. they are gonn look like they are in need and in need from basics to medical, and the supplies come to the greatest needs first usually. so Lord will, her family is ok medically but just need the basics. so now she is deeper in the "needs line" and might be so deep that her family needs to wait for the next line of relief/supplies come in. point being is that when something does pop off and rescue or supplies are needed, shes gonna wish like hell that some of your families needs could be met by her or her husbands

(you) own hand. now God forbid that somebody in her family or a friend be in a serious situation and medical needs are a must. having simple supplies on hand and how to use them could very well save a life.

i would hate to think that one of the many children out by my house were to die because i didnt have the stuff needed to stop the bleeding if they needed serious help until the pro's arrive.

look at the colapse in Argentina yrs back. there were women selling theirselves for food and medical for

their families in need. yes it was that bad. you will be suprised what one will do when there is a situation where the baby is starving to death literally, or firstaid supplies are needed and the only one that has them has "certain demands" for his or her supplies. well its shiot or get off the pot time right there so to speak.

if you cant meet the "demands", somebody else can and will you can count on that.

this is why they call it survival. its tough. its mean. its nasty. and sometimes its morally questionable too.

now, im sure your thoughts are like the rest of us here, we dont want to go through this crap and if we have to we want to put off the uncomfortable or questionable situations as long as possible. the only way to do that is to have some prep's of your own and a solid game plan. look, get her the survival book on the Argentina collapse. read her some web reports on the stuff going on in Greece. family night, watch the first and second season of the show colony. yes its a show but for those NOT in the know, it can be a eye opener too. then on top of it all, tell her you love her and the family and to give you her blessing to try to provide for the family the way you feel you need to.

Thanks for all the great advice ricksconnected. I'm def going to look into some of the info you suggested. I think part of her prob with stuff outside the country is she thinks it could never happen here. I tell her I'm preparing not because I think the world will end, but because its my responsibility to protect my family. We did watch the second season of colony together. I think things like Katrina have made her more aware. Baby steps I guess. The sheds a great idea. Its been on my list of things to get. I've only been a homeowner for two years so money is a little tight especially with the economy the way it is. something else on my list is a generator. The company I work for distibutes a brand of them so I'd be able to get parts pretty easily. I'm trying not to go too crazy right out of the gate.

Shawn: Our wives are a lot alike. Mine is now "concerned about" me because I'm "becoming a paranoid extremist". I reminded her that she's lucky to have me. LOL. We have along row to hoe, brother

LOL! That sounds exactly like mine! She looked like I had 2 heads the first night of Irene when I filled the two bathtubs with water. Until of course the next morning when we had no power and we could flush the toliet. If you find a way to get thru to yours let me know. I could use all the help I can get. It sucks when you finally open your eyes but others around you just don't get it. Thats why a site like this is great. Makes me feel like I'm not crazy

Thats why a site like this is great. Makes me feel like I'm not crazy
This site? This site doesn't exist it's just a figment of your imagination. We will have to talk to the other voices in your head about this. They were supposed to let you know about the change in regularly scheduled delusions. :rolleyes:

I posted advice to a similar problem a few days ago in which I said something to the note of if you can make survival food taste good then you can get away with a lot under the pretext of a cooking hobby. Stuff like learning to make bread from homemade flower or learning to smoke and dry meats to make jerky for your lunch every few weeks. I don't think the wife is allowed to be mad about what kind of food you keep on hand if your cooking it and it taste good. and if it's still a big deal diversify some instead of a pallet of canned chile have a few cans of chile, a few of beans a few of soup a few of soup in 4 other flavors. Just make sure you like what you stock then it's an investment instead of insurance.

shawn.

i understand $$ issues too lol. hey go at it with baby steps indeed. dont get in a rush. take her camping.

make it fun and plan activities too. thus if its in the name of "camping gear" you might be able to get her that way too. you mentioned she doesnt think it will happen in this country. remind her of 9/11. before then, tons of folks thought "it will never happen in this country" too, but it did. it will be yrs before somebody gets brave enough to beach or shores or drop in from above to invade our country, but

bombs and chemical warfare will be how we start to see our country attacked i bet.

attack, natural disaster, civil war, are but a few of the things we prep against. go slow and make it fun for the family and the wife, and you will be fine. get the family camping shawn. get them excited about it.

then you will be "buying gear to go camping" all the while prepping. there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

make learning fun and exciting and its a win/win.

shawn & Mike

You have a car = you get car insurance

you have a home = you get home owners insurance

for your family = you have life insurance

for your family = you get food insurance

Ask your wife's when was the last time they saw food prices going down?? We all know they're going up. So anything you can buy now (on sale/couponing) will help save yo money. Most women will understand this concept. On top of it it's very convenient not to have to run to a store because you're missing a couple of things for dinner.

You start slow, buy only those kinds of foods you eat anyway and then start adding.

Check out this site readynutrition.com, chock full of great information, including a 52-week plan.

I forgot, some years ago when I got into it,my husband was the one who thought that nothing would ever happen. Tons of jokes at my expense! That winter we had a massive windstorm that knocked everyting out. We had plenty of food, batteries, lights etc.

Let's just say he got several large helpings of crow!