Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

How much is 1 Acre? Near You.

I'm picking up a piece for $250 an acre. It's undeveloped, at least a mile from utilities, and I'll have to sink a well on it. But it has a great view and the roads to it are more of a fond memory than anything usable by normal vehicles.

I'm picking up a piece for $250 an acre. It's undeveloped, at least a mile from utilities, and I'll have to sink a well on it. But it has a great view and the roads to it are more of a fond memory than anything usable by normal vehicles.
nice! try an keep that road as discreet as possible! if water table isn't too deep, i'd go off-grid solar,, its a small fortune to have power run any distance.and you could install a sufficient solar setup probably for less, good luck!

nice! try an keep that road as discreet as possible! if water table isn't too deep, i'd go off-grid solar,, its a small fortune to have power run any distance.and you could install a sufficient solar setup probably for less, good luck!

The power company servicing the area will give you 1000 feet of cable for free per lot. The piece is large enough to subdivide, and I don't have to record a plat for a four parcel subdivision. So if I want wired service, I can get 3/4 of a mile for free after dividing it. But I'm planning on a combination of solar, wind, and generator (we have an industrial generator already). Then wood and propane, of course.

T Bill, deathrow is in Livingston Texas and the meanest sobs are scattered all over the place There is a superseg unit near Palestine. My wife worked deathrow until she retired 6 months ago.

I just wanted to add a little more info to this about living near prisons and especially the ones that I know the most about...Texas and around Huntsville.

Actually prisons and prisoners make pretty nice neighbors. The first thing you need to realize is that most of the stuff you see on TV is fiction OR focused in on one incident as if that were the norm. The real BAD dudes are locked up in what is called Segregation. This can range from limited movements in a single block of cells to locked in a 7X8 hole for 23 hours a day and only let out once a day for an hour by yourself in a cage that lets you see the sky. The other 90% of the inmates are a lot less restricted all the way down to those that live in Trustee Camps. They usually have a 3 strand barbed wire fence across the front and none down the sides.

Most of these people are NOT the monsters you envision. 60% are there because of a substance abuse problem that is in some ways a political issue more than a legal issue. It would be a lot cheaper to give the addicts their drugs and rehab them than lock them up. At least they wouldn't be stealing stuff to support their habit.

My wife did 25 years in prison and retired. In that 25 years she wasn't hit, or physically assaulted a single time. Now, that said, she works in the Clinic and wasn't trying to make them do anything that they didn't want to do. Nonetheless there IS violence in prisons. the strange thing is that the incidence of murder, assault or robbery is well below what would be considered normal in a similar sized town or city.

I guess I look at them for the most part in the "But by the grace of God go I" sort of way. A lot of them messed up but in general, if you take out the monsters that are in the Super Segg prisons, they are no meaner than any group of working class men you might find working around any construction site in America.

If something happened and they were let out they will be heading out of THIS area in a hurry. To their way of thinking Huntsville is about half COPS and in some ways they are about right. The faint of heart timid sort don't work in prisons and an escaped inmate is like a rabbit lose at a greyhound race track. You do NOT want to get caught here. What the dogs don't chew up may well get shot. Inmates want to be anywhere BUT here if they get out. They never want to mess up here and go to court. A guy got life for spitting on a guard here a few years ago. He had Aids and thought that he could give it to the guard that way so he was convicted of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon! LOL. We may have a lot of wolves here but there are also a LOT of just BAD ass sheep dogs too and not all that many sheeple once you get away from the University Folks.

I don't worry about the prisons at all. The monsters will just die there if the bottom falls out of things. That has already been decided. It is like when you go to work there...they tell you up front that if you are taken hostage they will shoot through you if they have to but NOBODY walks out of a prison. There are just some hard facts and the monsters are one of them. They will die in their cells before they will be let out.

To tell you the truth a lot of the prisoners will be better for neighbors than regular folks if the balloon goes up. They understand the law of the jungle and won't likely be as much of a problem as my dumb neighbor and his even dumber kids. I had to feed them through the last power outage because all he had to cook with was a propane torch!

The prisons around here are mostly BIG farms with lots of cattle, hogs, chickens, horses and just beautifully maintained fences. They have gardens and raise cotton that they then gin, spin, weave, sew and make into their clothing. When they haul it to where ever they called home we will harvest the leftovers if things get bad.

Another thought that I KNOW has been discussed is...well if things went REALLLLLLY bad...you know totally messed up like one of those Road Warrior Movies...Several of the older prisons are going to make some just awsome forts! 40 foot brick walls 10' thick at the bottom and 6 feet with a walkway on top. Heavily reinforced and barred entry points and windows. 10 acres of interior courtyards and in one case a secondary perimeter of 2 10 foot chain link fences topped with 3 to 5 coils of razor wire with a road between them. Heck we'll could hold off the zombie hordes if that is what it came to LOL. Seriously an old style prison is just like a fort in its basic construction.

I've been here for over 20 years and the prisons scare me a lot less than having Houston less than a hundred miles away does! If I moved further north I would have Dallas and Fort Worth West would bring me in reach of Austin and San Antone. Texas is a big place but unless you want to move into the scrub or desert you can't get too far from a big population center. At least here, food is a non-issue, Water is not a problem and the winters are warm enough that freezing to death isn't likely. Don't just write an area off because it has a prison. The monsters are caged and scattered all over from the panhandle to the scrub of south Texas. Death Row is actually a lot better class of folks than most of the Super Segs keep locked up.

Property value here in central NC (next to the forest) nearly doubled this past year. 10 acres was 16,000 now is 28,000. That is the tax value.. sales prices vary drastically with 2 acres going for 400,000 just because of the view, the riverfront, and the fact is is adjacent to public forest land.

For Bug Out purposes I am thinking a community with a strong survival capability will be the 'boondocks' where most rednecks can hunt/fish and don't worry about bathing or carrying a change of clothes... would be the best scenario... and land would be cheaper in those very rural off the main road communities.