Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

How much is 1 Acre? Near You.

Where I live in central KY land is about $5K/acre. That is, unless there is a horse nearby and then the price becomes astronomical. The undeveloped land I purchased for my family refuge/retreat in eastern KY was $3.5K/acre and I didn't get the mineral rights to it.

$1,500 to $2,000 here,But check the local Taxs on the land,the ongoing Taxs are terrable in some areas.Yes and check the mineral rights also.If they find natural gas or coal they WILL come take it and the state wont do a thing.

Finding level ground here is the problem.

HAHAHA. 1 Acre?? yeah right. you'd be hard pressed to come up with an acre around here and if you did your talking quarter mil at least. my 1500 square foot house and 5000 square foot lot was 500k. i hate where i live. but i love my wife and she loves where we live so im stuck. i just go camping a lot.

depends on the area of Bama that you are looking into:

"blackbelt" land is about 2,500 per acre and maybe 3,000 if it has water/river frontage.

other areas that are not as fertile land but would work for an individual would be anywhere from $750-2,000 per acre.

if you want land for building a house like in a new subdivision than the sky is the limit.

Generally though anywhere from 1k to 5k depending on what it is good for, farming, swamp etc.

Ideally I would love to have about 100 acres, with a pond for fishing and some woods for hunting...ahhh we can always dream! Come on baby and hit that winning lottery ticket!

When looking for land, remember to take into account the surroundings. I really wanted to find a place north of town (Houston) with decent land prices and far enough out of the way to avoid most of the drift corridor of evacuees. I found property at $1,500 acre without natural water (no creeks or ponds on premises) or $2,000 and up with water. Sounded great until I started looking at the area more closely and realized I was within 20 miles of Huntsville. I quickly decided to look elsewhere.

For those of you unfamiliar with the area, Huntsville is a pretty little town with a great statue of Sam Houston out by the highway and a decent state university in town. Huntsville is also the home of death row in Texas and hosts some of the most hardened and evil folks you can imagine. Not the neighbors you want in the event of an emergency. Anyway, I keep looking.

Anywhere from 500 to 5000 an acre. I had a friend that bought 5 acres for a little under 3000. It is cheap because there are NO utilities available. He wasn't Off the grid...there WAS no grid! He was 5 miles from an electric wire. All that said, he collected rain water for washing and bathing, heated with wood, cooked with propane, used about a dozen batteries to power a little lighting and was amazingly comfortable. With his cell phone he wasn't even living in the dark ages.

Anywhere from 500 to 5000 an acre. I had a friend that bought 5 acres for a little under 3000. It is cheap because there are NO utilities available. He wasn't Off the grid...there WAS no grid! He was 5 miles from an electric wire. All that said, he collected rain water for washing and bathing, heated with wood, cooked with propane, used about a dozen batteries to power a little lighting and was amazingly comfortable. With his cell phone he wasn't even living in the dark ages.

Sounds like heaven on earth, somedays I just think about not waiting for the world to collapse and just going to ground anyway. Was watching a lightning storm on the back porch swing with my 4 year old the other night and I ran in the house to kill the lights so we could see better, at first he was not so good withe the idea, but after a few minutes he asked if I'd call the neighbors and ask them to turn off their lights! Living in the city sometime I really miss true darkness (and silence) took it for granted I guess growing up....and land there $2000-$2500 crop $1500 pasture $750 rough wooded (not lumber able) add for lakes, buildings,etc where in Mo. At least CRP program has raised land prices it seems.

Around here, it depends upon the town. In some towns the price per acre can be $100,000 or more, depending upon the land. Other towns can be $40,000. I currently have 16.6 acres on the market for $75,000 and I just sold 10 acres for $54,900. A few year ago we sold 5,000 square feet for $100,000… yes, 5,000 square feet of flat land for $100,000. And 5,000 is the smallest lot that is buildable.

By the way, I am a real estate broker.

In the area where I'll be living shortly, the least expensive land I found is about $4,500/acre. That's open land, not subdivision. Subdivision lots are crazy expensive.

Coastie, too bad you're so far away - I could use a good realtor right about now. :)

Nana, I would ask my friends for a referral. Don’t go to one of the big companies because they are big. Normally, you are just another file shoved in with another 200 or so files. If you want, I can research Realtors in your area and see if I can find one that will treat you properly.

Also, I sold my mom-in-law’s 600 acre farm in upstate New York for $1,200,000. That comes out to $2000 per acre but it had one home, three barns and one hunting camp.

Coastie, thanks for the offer, but I don't want to waste your time. My boss has just set me up with a realtor he has used a couple of times. She works for one of the big companies and they work in teams, but she has taken me on as her personal project. I do kinda hate that she won't make enough off me to make it worth her while.

My brother has a place in upstate NY. I wouldn't mind being up there, but if anything happens, there won't be any chance of getting there.

In Oregon, you can find acreage that is zoned for farming/ranching at $4,000/acre, and probably double that if it's irrigated or has outbuildings/stalls for animals/good fencing. Some acreage is quite cheap here, because it's mountainous or it's been logged and so it's only partially forested or has only just been replanted (instead of actual, nice-to-look-at, usable vegetation).

Farmland is even cheaper the more rural you are and the further east you get in Oregon (in fact, you can find lots of "cheap" usable acreage along the border of Oregon and Idaho... but you also have harsher weather and a shorter growing season than in central/western Oregon). For a BOL, I'm not sure that I'd want to be in the areas between Portland and Salem, but they have incredibly fertile farmland - and vineyards! - in that area, and then south through the Willamette Valley. The Ashland/Medford area (near the California border) is also prime for living off the land, and you can find a mix of "cheap" and ungodly expensive property there depending on what community you're nearest to.