Sign in to follow this  
Delta7

Hiking Food Discussion Thread

Here's a question from left field. Anyone pack Jello? I was reading a book the other day and the author, who claims to be an experienced hiker, wrote about packing Jello as a high energy food. Just mix the powder with a little water and down the hatch! Anyone ever done this? Does it even make sense? I guess if you need a quick burst of energy all that suger would be helpful, just sounded odd.

the reason for carrying jello was two fold. Energy when needed but also very helpful of hypothermia victim as well

i have eaten the mre's they are OK but a lot of packaging. since i pack in/pack out they seem to be too much trouble. All the dehydrated stuff tastes the same. Tolerable with some pepper sauce. I like the cheese and pepperoni mentioned before. Peanut butter rocks in the woods.

here is two that i have been using for the past couple of years.

http://www.bridgfordfoodservice.net/...t/about-us.php

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn...D=GLAFM%20R360

i have eaten the mre's they are OK but a lot of packaging. since i pack in/pack out they seem to be too much trouble. All the dehydrated stuff tastes the same. Tolerable with some pepper sauce. I like the cheese and pepperoni mentioned before. Peanut butter rocks in the woods.

here is two that i have been using for the past couple of years.

http://www.bridgfordfoodservice.net/...t/about-us.php

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn...D=GLAFM%20R360

first link is no good.

hey awake, can you explain the hypothermia part if possible please?

im not so sure in a SHTF situation if i would want a sugar boosted rush.

its the sudden drop that i wouldnt want to deal with.

hypothermia is its serve form is sometimes accompanied with hypoglycemia. There is a need to replenish internal core heat as well as glucose. Remedy is hot water mixed with jello. That's why i carry jello in my medical gear pack. In a shtf situation coupled with a hypothermia hopefully someone nearby knows about jello.

hi all

i had a bunch of MRE's givin to me but after hearing they plug you up till chewing the gum,makes me leary. one thing i carry is beef & chicken broth cubes,real bacon bits,chia seeds,fish oil,green tea bags.5# or less can be a months rations,without catching animals.learn to catch animals ,birds,ect.without making a sound and keeping on the move.it's not impossible,just some practice.no harsh chemicals,all nutrients needed for good health & energy.

I have tried several MRE brands including the military ones and the ones I have found are the best for the cost are from longlifefood.com. very tasty hot or cold and don't back you up either! I usually carry those as well as emergency ration bars, beef jerky, nuts, and granola bars that I prefer to make myself.

I have Mountain House brand freeze-dried as the bulk of my rations in my backpack. Weight is the issue, not water (I live in Florida, and I prep for hurricane-based situations). A half liter bottle of water has slightly more water than needed to reconstitute a '4 serving' size meal (which I can split with the wife). With my pack, water bottles, and gathering/purifying system I do not expect there will be any problem getting water.

In my household food storage, I have a mix of freeze dried foods (in bulk #10 cans) and regular canned goods. If I had access to a reliable supply of actual issue MREs, I would stock a case or two as 'give away' items, but I have no confidence in the surplus stocks you can find at Army/Navy stores (etc). You just don't know how it was stored before it was sold to you, and heat makes a massive difference in the lifespan of an MRE. Add that uncertainty to the guarantee that any MRE I own will face 60-80 degree heat while stored in my apartment, and you get an expensive gamble.

So...in the apartment where weight is not an issue, canned goods have as good a shelf life as any MRE that I can reasonably get, plus they give me extra water/juice per serving. They also cost approximately 1/10th the price of an MRE. The FD foods have a 25+ year shelf life, and are light enough to take with me if I have to load the truck and beat feet. In my pack (and on my back) weight is my number one concern, so the FD foods win hands down.

Edited by survivalcyclist
spelling again

As for the canned peanut butter my wife bought some all natural stuff that did the same thing settled out the oils and you had to mix it. Didn't seem that good to me but I guess for some bring back memories that get attached to the taste. There are many things that do that for me anyway. Ilike to pack for hiking the little 2 for $1 peanut bags, and homemade jerky. As to the jello I have heard to pack it as the size and packing make it great for making boiled water more palatable, I carry hot cidar packets for this as they can be stretched a little and I also carry some beef bullion for the same reason, they also are a great moral booster!