Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

that dang common cold.

here i set all stopped up. ive tried everything and still cant breath out of my nose.

i hate it. i hate a stopped up nose. might even trade a few toes to get rid of it if possible lol.

its got me to thinking. the common cold can slow us down and even stop us in our tracks if we arent careful. the cold is a common problem for thousands annually. it comes on over night and seems to stay forever and a day. in looking at the recent BOB contest, not one person had

meds on deck for this situation. its one illness i plan on having meds for on hand too.

thing is, you might also have somebody in your group that catches a cold. not good for the group folks. that same cold can be passed about and shut down the whole groups progress for a few weeks to a month or more. ok so what do you have planned for this situation?

what meds are you packing? what do you do for your colds or stopped up nose? its seriously something to think about.

Just found out that California passed a law that makes Robutussion now a prescription drug, thanks to all the druggies. I stocked up on 12/31/11, plus have a lot of the regular meds, Figures,this is the first year in forever I havn't gotten sick!LOL

Contagion is something to seriously think about. You'd need a sick room, N95 or better N100 masks, latex or nitrile gloves, booties, garbage bags to dispose of contaminated items. What else??? What do you call the things to put into a bed when a patient becomes incontinent???

Edited by femvet59

Thanks for the reminder, Rick. I have never packed decongestants. Even when I knew we'd want them, I always forget.

The only drug that works for me is Pseudoephedrine and you have to give ID and sign on the X's to get it. So, guess I'll be making extra trips to the pharmacy even when I'm not sick to start stocking up.

Also love my netti pot, but does anyone know if there is a special salt you have to use? The little packets are convenient, but when they're gone...

Here is Grandmaws "Hot Toddy"

1 large cup of hot BLACK tea(or 2 bags of regular).Lemon juice 6 cap fulls,1/8 teaspoon cinnamon,1/8th cup of honey,Mix well..add(sorry Rick)your favorite liquor,2 good shots is enough.While the steam is comeing off it breath it in and sip it.

This has always worked for me breaking a chest cold.

1 large cup of hot BLACK tea(or 2 bags of regular).Lemon juice 6 cap fulls,1/8 teaspoon cinnamon,1/8th cup of honey,Mix well..add(sorry Rick)your favorite liquor,2 good shots is enough.While the steam is comeing off it breath it in and sip it.

or you could go hard core: settle in with favorite bourbon, turn up the heat in the room and wrap up with a fleece blanket and sweat that sucker out. If you get too hot, that's just a sign that you haven't had enough bourbon:D

our grandmaws must have been related.

I'll second the pseudoephedrine. It can keep a head cold just that and prevent it from settling into your chest. Peppermints, cinnamon, and ginger candies can help clear out the nose but they don't work nearly as long. I have some pseudoephedrine (aka sudafed) in my EDC bag along with some zicam lozenges. The first sign of a cold and I start the zicam. Add in some good vitamin C (most fruits or the supplements if you don't have fruit) and you can usually keep a cold from getting any traction. Remember the old saying about an apple a day?

I'll second the pseudoephedrine. It can keep a head cold just that and prevent it from settling into your chest. Peppermints, cinnamon, and ginger candies can help clear out the nose but they don't work nearly as long. I have some pseudoephedrine (aka sudafed) in my EDC bag along with some zicam lozenges. The first sign of a cold and I start the zicam. Add in some good vitamin C (most fruits or the supplements if you don't have fruit) and you can usually keep a cold from getting any traction. Remember the old saying about an apple a day?

exactly the type of post i was looking for on this lol. most people dont plan for the #1 type sickness around the world. it comes on very easy and will kick your azz if your not careful. i can imagine being in Bug Out situation feeling like i do today lol. weak and sore, nose stopped up. wow. its the simple things that we overlook. its the simplest of things that can and will get some of us killed too, in a SHTF situation.

Unfortunately there is no real treatment for a common cold, only meds that can mask or temporarily relieve it's symptoms. As far as what med is best to treat certain symptoms depends on the person him/herself, what works well for one may do very little for another. However, there have been many studies that have shown that zinc can significantly shorten the life of a cold, as will vitamin C. Vitamin C can also help fight off a cold before you get it. My suggestion is to stock up on vitamins and supplements that help boost your immune system.

rick, how you're feeling now??

BTW, don't forget Echinacca, I swear by it and lots of Vitamin C. As soon as I feel anything I take 4000 IU of Vit. C and an Echinacca. You guys just reminded me that I need to get some Zinc!!

ma'am im doing fantastic! all things considered of course. thank you for asking.

yes i have,stock, and pack echinacea & golden seal. good stuff. ya gotta be careful with the GS though. you cant take it but for like 10 day or so at a time. its a natural antibiotic so........... careful with it folks.