Sign in to follow this  
desert rat

An Ammo heads-up for M4 owners!! FYI

FYI: I was recently talking to a friend who told me that he'd purchased some 5.56 mil-spec

ammo=420rds in an ammo can at Wal-Mart of all places! He'd found it in a near-by city.

It's not online, or I couldn't find it.

With me living in the sticks, I go to my local WallyWorld and guess what?

Sure enough, they had it! I picked up two ammo cans 840 rds. and the price is very,

"I say again" very reasonable! No shipping cost on this stuff.

It is mil-spec surplus 5.56 green tip ammo.

You may want to check your local wal mart when/if shopping there.

Here's the response I got from a reliable source when posting this on a local forum:

I have seen the green can in Walmart and Academy Sports. It is blem ammo that does not meet true mill spec. You can determine this if the partnumber has an X designation. For example XM855 or XM193. The bullet is the 62g green tip on the cans that I have seen; but you pay more per round for the bulk can ammo than the indevidual box evidently for the can and stipper clips. A little over 40 cent/round from Academy

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_384719_-1?Ntt=5.56&Ntk=All

They're not blems.

Yes they are. It's M855 62 grain manufactured by Federal (probably with Lake City brass). The XM and PD indicate that it was rejected from a military contract run. Plain XM is slightly better, is shipped in 20 round boxes and is generally good ammo with the occasional slight case dent or lack of sealant but mostly perfect. PD ammo is shipped loose and might have some more severe problems and should be examined carefully before firing.

Okay, but why are these shipped in the ammo can with the seal wire on them? Not in 20rd boxes.

Packed in 30rd boxes. It's been a long time, and remembering nomanclature and TM's was not my

forte`. After seeing M855 on your response, I stand corrected Sir. I think it was SS109/M855.

Not XM855 as I thought. Thinking seems to get me in more trouble than a fresh doughnut.

Off to do some more research....

Thx Amature.

Okay, but why are these shipped in the ammo can with the seal wire on them? Not in 20rd boxes.

Packed in 30rd boxes. It's been a long time, and remembering nomanclature and TM's was not my

forte`. After seeing M855 on your response, I stand corrected Sir. I think it was SS109/M855.

Not XM855 as I thought. Thinking seems to get me in more trouble than a fresh doughnut.

Off to do some more research....

Thx Amature.

Lol. It's all good. I'm still learning the differences. This is what the guys from the Army base up the road are telling me.

Okay Amature. I found the answer, is as follows...

They're not blems.

"X" does not mean that it is a failed military lot. At LCAAP once the round is accepted to meet the military spec and purchased by the government it receives the M855 designation, so until it is purchased it is not M855 and will never be. ATK produces a considerable amount of the M855 (SS109) projectile design for commercial sales and they do not require the same quality checks that the military demands. If a lot is sold commercially and was never purchased by the government, the round is designated XM855 just so that it is different from M855 which is defined in their contract. Military surplus can be sold as M855 because that was already purchased by the government and met all acceptance standards. when a military lot fails or is rejected after it is purchased it receives a condition code "J" and that is not the same as these rounds.

X or no X. Its the same. What matters is if the can is marked "not for duty use" and then it is only rejected from mil spec for small dents or dings but still passed civilian inspection. The "not for duty use" is still good ammo. When you get the can you will see a serial number or "not for duty use". The serial number are the "overruns" and the "not for duty use" are the mil spec rejects. Both are fine to shoot but I prefer the "serial number" NON REJECTS. The "X" denotes that is being sold on the civilian market as overrun from military production.

Also, M855 is an advanced form of the M193. The only difference is the steel tip penetrator and the 62grn on the M855 compared to the all lead 55grn M193.

Oopps, almost forgot. The PD means Bulk Packaging...

Thx again Col. If you decide to show up here.

Edited by desert rat

They don't have this at either Wally world near me, but they do have 115gr 9mm JHP for $.28 a round in 100 round boxes. Best i have seen around where i live. And no shipping. Thats' how I like it. My wife and I just bought 1680 rounds of canned 5.56 55gr from cheaper than dirt. It was a little more expensive per round, but when you factor in the cans, the bandoleers, and the clips, it worked out to $.21 a round (after you removed the price of the clips, cans, and bandoleers). that made it worth it for me. It is my long terms storage stuff. Can't wait for it to arrive. ;)

Good find DR always keep your eyes open for deals like this at wallyworld here in NE NJ they don't sell guns or ammo but I did find SOG tactical tomahawk for 19.99 must have been marked wrong because these go for 30.00 give or take +shipping this was in Secaucus NJ been keeping eyes peeled for more talked to salesperson in sporting good said it was a fluke so I just got lucky

Cheaper Than Dirt has some really good sales from time to time (if you are not getting their sales e-mails, I suggest signing up) but not such a great deal for us here in Texas because we get to pay TAX and SHIPPING on our internet purchases.

However, if you live near Fort Worth, it is worth it to drive over to their brick and mortar catalog sales center (in the back of the building, not the front, which strangely is owned by another company) and pick up your bulk purchases. I have found myself up there from time to time and dropped in to buy a few cases of this or that. Still pay tax, but you save on the shipping and we all know that ammo can be pretty heavy. Plus, pay cash and no trail if that is a concern to you.

That's not a bad price at all. I think that's the standard price at Palmetto and Ammotogo, the 2 websites I use, and you'll save on shipping. I just usually order bulk loose or strippered ammo and pickup cheap $5 surplus .50cal cans from the gun store when they have them. Quick sanding and some flat black paint and they're good as new. I'll have to make a trip to WallyWorld, though I never go there, just to see if the local ones carry it. Would be nice to know if they did. As a side note, I shoot indoor, going to start going outdoor this spring. If you shoot indoor make sure your range allows the steel core ammo. Mine doesn't since it punches holes in the backstop.

I checked at Wallyworld the other day....around here ...Pensacola Florida area and over in Alabama there are only about 3 locations that even carry them...and seem to only get about 4 or 5 of them at a time..first come first serve.....As of 2/22/2012...they are telling me that they have gone up to $159.99 !!! And 1 store is at $169.99.....By the time I run around searching for them ...burning up gas @ 3.57 a gal....I figure that you are better off dealing with the folks at Palmetto State Armory at $149.99....They are great folks...they are growing fast so they do get bogged down from time to time but are working their butts off keeping up !!! And what I like most about them is they DO NOT Charge those outrageous shipping cost a few of the other dealers do..they just had to increase their cost to $14.00 (Was $12.00) for 1000 rounds....And they seem to have some of the best prices on about everything else....Google them....Palmetto State Armory...they are in Columbia SC....and Beaufort SC......Take a look

JohnBoy

Ammo and Toilet Paper.....What most guys are concerned about !!!

Johnboy, I agree the folks at Palmetto are top knotch. I ordered some 7.5 French from them once and they accidentally shorted my order. After I called, they sent the missing box the next day along with a sincere e-mail apology. Class folks in my book for admitting the error and making it right. I would much prefer to give them, or Ammotogo, or Wideners, my business before doing business with Chinamart.

Yea...I grew up just south of Bham....and The last time I went into downtown Bham...I think you would need at least 500 rounds to get back out !!!

I do love that part of Alabama....and wish I could get back in some area outside of Bham...a little less populated......

I think I forgot ( That sounds weird !!! ) that the Wallyworld & Palmetto are only 420 rounds...but hey you get a new ammo can and they are all on stripper clips.....gotta count for something......

Anyone out there thinking about grabbing the WalMart deal on Lake City 5.56 might want to get a move on while they can. My brother told me when he spoke to the Sporting Goods guy where he lives that they were sold out and he could not say when they would be restocked. I heard the same from my brother-in-law. Both are also here in Texas so this may vary in your area. I am not hawking WalMart (I think they are a cause for so many of our manufacturing jobs going overseas), but this is a good deal if you can find it.

Yes, JohnBoy, I do like the fact this deal comes with a metal ammo-style can and the rounds are on stripper clips. Makes for easy storage and quicker loading.

Found a can of XM855 ball green tip for 159. 500 rounds, in boxes of 30 on stripper clips with a quickloader. That can gets set aside, got a couple k rounds of non milspec rounds for targets etc, keep the good stuff for SHTF, and have some zombie max for that as well hehe

So ummmmm, I kinda clueless about the different kinds of ammo for the AR/M4 out there. If Im reading this right, the federal green tip ammo is sort of a light armor piercing round, with a steel core? I was able to pick up one can of that a couple weeks ago, and havent shot any yet. Just wondering if thats something I should maybe be keeping around, and shooting something cheaper to get back in practice.

And then the question is, whats cheaper for just plinking and everyday useage at the range?