Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

hygene

ok guys lets talk about bug in/out hygene.

in order for this to be a topic worth even repling to we have to state up front that there is no running water in your bugging location at the time. so what do you guys plan to do about hygene needs. what are some of the options that you guys/gal's have explored to keep good hygene health?

Because I use it every time I work and have horded a few bottles,Epi-Clenz instant hand antiseptic.I will also use shaving cream to clean my body.Yes you can! Its been used in nursing homes for years.

Well my wife is a RN at the local hospitol here where we live....I have ask her this question before about the hygene problem we could face in SHTF sisutaion.....She is checking on some kind of waterless foam that they use at the hospitol she is going to get the name of it and we are going to order some of it...that should take care of the body hygene.....but still trying to figure out the shaving and brushing teeth part...always open for new ideas

For B.I. I'm going to get a couple of those bathtub liner/bags that will hold 100 gal each. They can be filled quick enough and come with their own pump, for $20. That takes care of enough water for a few weeks. Spent bathwater will then have other uses. Haven't thought about shaving. Figured I'd just grow a beard. Waterless shampoo and soap are other must-buys

For B.O. I have a hygiene bag in my his and hers backpacks, both in a gallon size zip loc baggie: 1 sm and 1 lg microfiber towel, travel toothbrush and paste kits, mini stick deodorants, wipes, chap sticks and small hand sanitizer...all light weight, takes up little pack space, and all bought at the Dollar Store.

Edited by MikeE

i cant do the waterless soaps and shampoos. i mean maybe as a "hold me over" for a day or something. the body will need water on it for sure. ever go to the beach area and get that salty feeling all over from just being around the salty air? i imagine that will be the felling on your skin lol.

The troops in Iraq & Afghanistan SWEAR by babywipes! In a lot of the FOB's there are no showers. I've recommended before that everybody check out anysoldier.com, because you get to hear from the troops directly what their living conditions are like and how they manage. I've read more than a few times that some of them go weeks before they have a chance for a shower.

There is a military version of babywipes called HOOAH, which is much preferred, thicker but also more pricey. For right now I'm going with some of the unscented ones from the Dollar store.

The troops in Iraq & Afghanistan SWEAR by babywipes! In a lot of the FOB's there are no showers. I've recommended before that everybody check out anysoldier.com, because you get to hear from the troops directly what their living conditions are like and how they manage. I've read more than a few times that some of them go weeks before they have a chance for a shower.

There is a military version of babywipes called HOOAH, which is much preferred, thicker but also more pricey. For right now I'm going with some of the unscented ones from the Dollar store.

+1 on the wipes. Before I had children I used to be a touring musician. Used the baby wipe trick many times lol! Though we called it "taking a road shower".:P Real showers with "water" were few and far between.

I have a travel size container of wipes in my bags. Plus small bottles of hand sanatizer and listerine. Also gyne lotrimin cream. Yes men can use it too. This is another road trick as well. It is basically the same thing as jock itch cream and athletes foot cream but stronger. Also works well for "swamp butt" and chafing.

I now bathe regularly...with water...and soap:o

Edited by droptrd

+1 on the wipes. Before I had children I used to be a touring musician. Used the baby wipe trick many times lol! Though we called it "taking a road shower".:P Real showers with "water" were few and far between.

I have a travel size container of wipes in my bags. Plus small bottles of hand sanatizer and listerine. Also gyne lotrimin cream. Yes men can use it too. This is another road trick as well. It is basically the same thing as jock itch cream and athletes foot cream but stronger. Also works well for "swamp butt" and chafing.

I now bathe regularly...with water...and soap:o

what type of music?

Do we get to assume that we've either stocked sufficient water for a period of time, or that we can get it from a natural source such as a stream or spring?

I've used baby wipes on camping trips with good results. That doesn't help with hair, but it's better than nothing. My folks don't have running water, but they do have a spring on the property and they can opt to haul in water (which they do most of the time). My son and I stayed with them this summer and we had a couple solar showers set up. They heat very nicely in the sun, and for under three gallons we could both get clean.

Hi,

We send cases of baby wipes to the men in uniform, they are really appreciated in the desert areas that they are stationed in. The foam in hospitals would be useful but I don't see them in containers large enough to work with as baths. Perhaps whoever sells them has larger containers. I think that keeping your hands clean will be the most important thing you can do.

Dr. Bones

for brushing teeth with no tooth brush there's 3 ways with out a toothbrush I've heard of.

First is the old finger method which is not much better then nothing.

Second is to chew on a fibrous stick and use it to brush.

Last is wrap a stick with some cloth and use that.

With methods 2 and 3 you need to sanitize your tooth brush every so often which I recommend doing with boiling water.

The survival field manual has a lot of good info on this topic so heres a link to that section http://www.basegear.com/ch4.html