Sign in to follow this  
Guest zen811

Gun Safe Purchase Questions

Guest zen811

Does anyone have any recommendations on gun safes? They are an expensive investment but a good one. I'd rather not spend more than a grand or so if I can help it... and find good reason not to.

I figure things like fire ratings can be boosted by building a "wall locker" around the safe using sheet-rock and framing + a deadbolt firedoor

Weight can be boosted by drilling into concrete and bolting down..

Keeping the safe out of view and not immediately visible to folks will keep interest down in "what you have inside"

I have a dog and an alarm system so that helps in the deterrent side as well.

Ultimately if a thief has enough time and the right tools they can get into your $6K-$10K as well as your $1K safe which will be a deterrent to most folks anyways..

I don't have whole lot of guns and if I ever accumulate enough to "outgrow" the safe I will be able to afford another safe as well, probably have a bigger house to put it in etc. etc. plus the wife is not going to go for me spending more than I am already "approved" to spend. She should probably be working in Washington D.C. as well, I'm sure she could help whip our national budget into shape in no time.

I'll probably go with a manual lock vice an electronic one due to EMP considerations and more importantly just a general suspicion of all things electronic (I've had them fail me more times than I can count during my life) but what would be nice is a lock that is Electronic with manual backup ICO electronic failure.

Models I am considering are:

Liberty Gun Safe

Patriot Gun Safe

But just started looking.

If anyone has any good input on the best bang for the buck in the $1K range, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Liberty makes a good safe.

American Century is a cheaper one I got from Acadamy Sports.

Problem with AC is that is has a battery powered combination. Do not recommend.

Other items to consider:

- Fire proof is a relative term. Dont count on it.

- Theives can break in as you mentioned.

- They are very heavy and a full size safe would be hard for a theif to carry off without having a moving truck and two friends, so I discount that possibility.

- Buy an affordable "fireproof safe" and not a metal one, with a traditional spin dial lock versus key pad.

- Start small and if you outgrow it then use the old one to store ammo and valuables.

I agree with BamaMan. Check the fireproof rating - it should be measured in so much temperature for so long. Since I "think" the temp is fairly standard you might see just a "fireproof for 1 hour" kind of statement. I also don't trust electronic locks.

I also agree that no safe is "proof" against cracking if the BG has enough time.

I'm really not much for gun safes, because of all the drawbacks and expense and for what little is gained. I purchase cheaper security cabinets like you see at walmart or a large sporting goods store. My main goals is to keep the weapons secure from a cursory intrusion or my child. Everything is insured to death and I have weapons ranging from rack grade AR-15s to a hand built M1 Garand, but everything is replaceable. My wife is a homemaker and typically someone is in the house 24/7, but for those short burst of time when we are not, a security cabinet can provide enough deterrent to protect from theft. And if not, like I said, the main goal is achieved and insurance takes care of the rest.

for me personally i found a good gun safe a good investment, I actually sold a pistol i no longer wanted and took that and invested it in a 25 gun liberty safe. I avoided the key coded battery powered safes and went with the old school rotary dial. It has served me well enough except i t wasn't big enough :) so i keep my higher end firearms in it and lesser ones mounted to a locked rack in my bedroom closet.

My vote would be for a steel cabinet as well as apposed to a safe for firearms. I have some other fire proof safes around the house (some as decoys) that I keep important documents and such in but with a security system (fire detection included) I don't feel the need to have a safe for them.

Now I DO keep my cabinet in an out of the way place that is disguised and hidden (JIC). My biggest concern is when I would have company. I believe in securing my firearms, but as stated above.......insurance will cover what my wife and I don't have on us. (CC;) )

If you don't have an alarm system and are away from your home extended periods of time then a safe that is fire rated may be in your best interest. JMHO

As far as suggestions for which one to get? I got nothin'......sorry.

I have had two Liberty Gun Safes in my life and I can tell you that a thief just breaking into your house, not prepared before hand is not taking the safe and not breaking into the safe. I lived in apartments and (without permission lol) I bolted them to the slab and no one is just walking into the house and picking it up.

Cost: Well I am very lucky as I won both of my safes at the same gun show (same group runs guns shows 4 times a year in Dallas Texas) 6 years apart... I sold my first safe when I moved and won a new one a year after I got to my new place :). The safe would have cost $800-$900 if I bought it. Fire rating? I know it had one but I did not really care for obvious reasons.

http://www.dallasarms.com/

If you are in the Dallas Area in November you should attend the show

Gun & Knife Show Info

Upcoming Show

November 26-27, 2011

Location: Market Hall - 2100 North Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, TX

Time: Saturday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm and Sunday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

More Info: For Gun Show Information and Reservations Call 972-369-6062

Admission

1 Day Pass: $10.00

2 Day Pass: $15.00

Children 12 & Under: Free

Guest zen811

Thanks for all the input. Definitely leaning toward a Liberty Safe at this point... I could get by without a safe but I'd prefer not too since I spend loooong periods of time away from home (weeks-months) for work.

One of the bigest selling points I've found so far for Liberty besides the quality is that they are 100% made in America or at least that's what the salesman told me. Even though he was a salesman, I found him pretty believable.

Looks like my wallet will be a little lighter soon but maybe more secure?

Okay, this is kind of off topic, but I will ask here any way. What do you guys think of this http://bedgunsafe.com/bedsafes.html ? My interest being in the fact that it is out of the way rather than concealed.

Josh,

While it is neat looking, if I had it, I'd wind up not using it. The hassle of removing the mattress every time I wanted a gun means I'd never put any weapon that I shoot into it. Since I try to shoot everything at least semi-regularly I'd be constantly removing and returning the mattress. My wife would not like that, besides my mattress is HEAVY.

If I had weapons that I almost never shot, this might work but knowing me, it would wind up being a very expensive, very heavy empty box. Beds get moved periodically for carpet cleaning/shampooing. I suspect this bed would not be easy to move.

It appears to me to be one of those great ideas that just isn't practical. Even in a guest room where it wouldn't disturb much, you'd still be moving mattresses around to get to your weapons. It would probably keep your weapons just fine, it is the logistics of living around the thing that would be hard to adjust too. Just my not so humble opinion.

I do hear good vibes about the Liberty. My main safe is a Browning bought almost 20 years ago. It is not fireproof, because in time a fire safe is going to cook everything inside especially papers. Steel cabinets can be made to work, too. I put my safe into a walk in closet not big enough for the safe to go through the door without taking the door off. I figure if somebody can knock that wall down and roll that thing out loaded, they deserve it. But can they do it with my Schnoodle Molly gripping their pants leg?

All in all a safe gives piece of mind and keeps everybody out including snooping maids, kids, and neighbors, but to deter crooks, get a good security system for the house.

the main goal is achieved and insurance takes care of the rest.

do you have special insurance for your guns or just an additional "rider" on your inside contents policy. all the ones i have ever had do not replace guns or jewlery unless you itemize them and pay extra per item. most policies make you list the things you lost in fire/theft and even if you have 250k inside policy, they want a list of acceptable items not just a cart blanche check for 250k.

give me some advice if you can- thanks,