Sign in to follow this  
cleatis

Dealing with the dead

I pose this question to bring to light a subject that most has not thought of due to the nature of it. In a TEOTWAWKI situation we will be faced, if we last that long, with what to do with the bodies of loved ones or those that had to be delt with.

In some cases such as disease, burning may be the only option. And may be the best for all situations. I know some will say those that had to be killed due to rading or what ever should be used as a warning to others. As Mad Max as that sounds it sets up a whole new set of problems and might not be the best idea.

So I leave it to you all to post what you think may be best for you in hopes that it may shed light on the subject for me and others here.

Thank you.

I pose this question to bring to light a subject that most has not thought of due to the nature of it. In a TEOTWAWKI situation we will be faced, if we last that long, with what to do with the bodies of loved ones or those that had to be delt with.

In some cases such as disease, burning may be the only option. And may be the best for all situations. I know some will say those that had to be killed due to rading or what ever should be used as a warning to others. As Mad Max as that sounds it sets up a whole new set of problems and might not be the best idea.

So I leave it to you all to post what you think may be best for you in hopes that it may shed light on the subject for me and others here.

Thank you.

dead hole and drop them in. cover them with lime and bury them. or burn them. if TEOTWAWKI happens the way we all think it might, there will be bodies everywhere. disease will be everywhere if the bodies arent delt with.

shallow grave and bury'm. i've heard the reason why usually a 6ft hole is dug, is the bears can't smell'm anymore and don't dig'm back up. i'd think it'd take too much fuel to burn a body, than bury, not to mention the bellowing smoke SIGNAL you'd make, and have something smell like a BBQ pit for weeks

you might encounter and body that has been dead for some time. This is the worst if you decide to bury the person. I would caution all of you to use some sort of barrier.Splash shields for the face. Heavy rubber gloves for the hands. Some sort of protection for the body as well. Bodily fluids and the odds of being exposed to them are very high. Large multiple trash bags would be a must. Even the those with steel guts will be losing their lunch. Burning a body as stated above is not a good method.

I will admit that this area is where i have prepared the least.

shallow grave and bury'm. i've heard the reason why usually a 6ft hole is dug, is the bears can't smell'm anymore and don't dig'm back up. i'd think it'd take too much fuel to burn a body, than bury, not to mention the bellowing smoke SIGNAL you'd make, and have something smell like a BBQ pit for weeks

i think if it gets to the point that bodies must be delt with like bury or burning in numbers, the smoke signal and such wouldnt be an issue. for a while im sure smoke smell in the air would be a normal find in a SHTF situation.

A body would HAVE to be buried! A bonfire, no matter how much fuel you use, will NOT generate sufficient heat to effectivly burn a body. You need a crematorium for that.

Now, how do you do that in an area like ours where the soil is clay and mostly rock and turns into cement in the summer???

A body would HAVE to be buried! A bonfire, no matter how much fuel you use, will NOT generate sufficient heat to effectivly burn a body. You need a crematorium for that.

Now, how do you do that in an area like ours where the soil is clay and mostly rock and turns into cement in the summer???

Femvet,

Just so. Minus a forced air furnace/oven you are quite correct. Burned beyond recognition isn't enough. Even in major aircraft crashes, the bodies are there - If jet fuel doesn't do the job, you can't. To reduce the human body to ashes requires high heat and time.

Lye and a grave for the dead at least controls disease, smell and pests. Make sure that the prevailing winds do not blow over the graves in your direction.

For the sake of the emotional and psychological health of your group - you should also be prepared to conduct a 'service' for the deceased. I've done my share of funerals, the latest my mother-in-law last month. The Catholic church provides a formal liturgy for the funeral and it is a way to provide for the leave taking of the survivors from the deceased.

Even if you are burying the gad guys, don't forget that leaving corpses out to rot in the sun is unhealthy. It spreads disease, attracts predators that might see your group (especially any children) as a source of food, stinks to high heaven, and points out you location.

is that a good movie???

Charles Heston, early Zombie movie. The original of "I Am Legend". Interesting fortification, but it has been awhile since I have seen it.

actually it was the second. The story was first filmed as The Last Man on Earth (1964) starting Vincent Price.

The Omega man was ok in '71 standards. The usual preachy themes like machines are bad.

I agree with you Rick......if the bodies are not delt with in a timely matter, thing could really get nasty in a hurry
Isnt this why FEMA has purchased all those plastic coffins? Our goverment is always looking out for us :P

Hi all,

It would be important to keep your burial ground away from your water source. 100 feet away could still carry organisms from the decomposing bodies, especially if there are a number of them, into the aquifer and cause major disease. I don't know if you can buy "body bags", but at least make sure you have tarps available that you can use as shrouds. I have to say that I have no experience with this issue, just my 2 cents.

Dr. Bones

Hi all,

It would be important to keep your burial ground away from your water source. 100 feet away could still carry organisms from the decomposing bodies, especially if there are a number of them, into the aquifer and cause major disease. I don't know if you can buy "body bags", but at least make sure you have tarps available that you can use as shrouds. I have to say that I have no experience with this issue, just my 2 cents.

Dr. Bones

Thanks, Doc. I nearly freaked out when I saw a sailor (not in our navy) using the head from the bow of the patrol boat while the cook was collecting water from the stern. Oh, the boat was anchored in a river!

Burial down stream and by 100 feet seems like a good idea for bodies or a latrine for that matter. The food will taste better.

Where I live with all the clay soil, without heavy equipment, this just seems like a helpless task

I agree - awfully tough around here as well. Not sure exactly how to go about it. I've buried a dog or two on my land, shallow graves only. I've considered some kind of plow arrangement for my SUV so I could use it to break up the soil. I haven't come up with anything yet.

For you folks with less than enthusiastic partners, I'd be very careful in talking about how you are planning to handle bodies. The same treatment for human waste at least gives an alternate use for the lye and plastic sheeting and ability to make holes.

Lousy topic by the way - thanks for bringing it up. It is one of those things we don't normally think about. This is one major reason why I think a major encounter with ZMBs mean you must move. Even if I win the fight, I probably can't bury 15 guys.

the circle of life is a bunch of crap they should have called it circle of death and disease.

this thread made me remember and I will be glad when it dwindles away again.

the strange thing about a burning body is the smoke carries the oils and spreads it

inside a vehicle or room it actually has an oily feel so I am all about salting and quick lime.

so I look at all this weight loss craze as a good thing less BMI less mess.

I like movies they always look so natural in the real world nothing can be further from the truth

and if you knew them it will be hard to deal with and if they are wounded and suffering and you have

limited resources to care for them it will be a nightmare I think this is worse than the death scenario.

like Capt Bart mentioned and others keep it well away from water sources and this has to be thought

over because all water flows down hill so casing it in clay or a body bag or a drum and fill with

salt and lime and a little triple sec and you got a margarita sorry it just hit me FUNNY.

Anyway a service is good for moral but if they were not believers before they died it's kinda like

putting a new paint job on a junked Yugo.

And God does not do magic saying abracadabra is not going to send them to a better place

it is like making a reservation to a swanky getaway or event you have to know SOMEONE to get in.

and Capt Bart is right if you drop a bunch in you front yard you going to have to drag them away or

hope the came in a vehicle you can pack them in and drive them off.

It's messy business in arid climates you can place them on litters in the air and let the body air dry

a natural version of mummification like the Indians did or plant them in a cave

in swampy areas like New Orleans a crypt or box and i would salt and quicklime them

here is a page about quicklime

http://www.cimprogetti.com/html/uses_of_lime.htm

here is a page on how to make concrete or mortar

http://www.ehow.com/how_5670473_make-ancient-roman-concrete.html

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Is quick lime still available at places like grain and feed stores? I know we can get the pulverized stuff but I'm pretty sure that's just crushed limestone used in lawn care. I have no experience with it. And how much does it take to do 'the job'. Horrible subject, but I'd rather have a clue than not. Might not be something I'd even want to google

Burial is ideal not always an option. Agreed burned flesh smells bad and you cant dump the dead in the lake. So I'm going to throw out a few things that come to mind.

When it comes to deposing of a body ants and non flying bugs are your friends. Burying a body near an ant colony could speed break down times and protect the body from annoying stuff that flies.

If you cant bury it because there's not much open ground then contain it as best you can. A black lawn bag is better then nothing but is only a half measure since anything mouse size of bigger could chew threw the bag. The body still needs to be dealt with when time allows to move it.

Rocks will prevent larger scavengers from digging a body up.

Show some respect for the dead. Even if they died trying to kill you for caned corn you gain nothing from desecrating the dead more then is necessary to dispose of the bodies. As for a service it's as much for the people there as it is for the diseased. So if uncle Joe is an atheist and dies of pneumonia it wont hurt you to have a moment where some one says "here lies uncle Joe born 1969 died 12/21/2012 we will always remember him for his witty sarcasm and amazing pop tart recipes." point is giving anyone who wants to say something a chance to say it will help give them a bit of closure.

Edited by Autonomous

Show some respect for the dead. Even if they died trying to kill you for caned corn you gain nothing from desecrating the dead more then is necessary to dispose of the bodies.

how about a compost bin? i would think this would work. might take some time but..........