Sign in to follow this  
cleatis

Dealing with the dead

I have worked in two different Hospitals,and it seams Im the goto guy when "IT' happens,Please be respectfull to the dead.Remember that a family member may be around and if a SHTF happens there will be family member near.How are you going to deal with them?Its not like the movies I promise you.

As far as disposal the quicker the better.Pandemic comes to mind and "Black Death" is just around the corner.If 10 percent of a community dies(average 20,000) thats 2000 people and gets worse in larger citys.Who will be able to transport that many???

Pandemic..the next SHTF..stage 2..

Im going on a limb here but only coal fired furnaces that are makeing electrical power could handle disposel of so many.

Edited by 101matt

Autonomous

the body is like an empty envelope once your dead

if they are trying to kill me I especially do not care will not mutilate or bother the body other than

scavenge it for usable material and equipment.

but this is not always true if a force is persistent and numerous the Turkish method of

deterring visitors would have to be employed never say never is all I can say.

I wont waste my time except to move the carcass off a body smell can carry for a half mile

but in a TEOTWAWKI situation it wont matter and its all relative burying my dog was exercise

enough I have no reverence for any but my own its not my job in survival, survival is your job

to look out for your group everything else is clutter of your mind you must have a singular focus

survive and its true nice guys finish last.

booby trapped bodies are nothing new and will be used again it just how it is so leave a thing

alone unless you did it even then if your not smart some could leave you a dear john letter

and if it is as bad as I expect you wont even notice them other than to make sure they ain't playing

possum, best way is to pop it and if it twitches it was playing possum.

I am all for the burial at sea lift the lid on the septic tank and slide them in

well they will make it to the sea eventually more as rain but still..

Edited by juzcallmesnake

this may sound weird but i thought about body bags. i tripped across them on one of the survival websites i was on but i dont remember which one. i thought about it though, and they might be an ideal short term solution.

That is an option, I have one around here that I used to use as a bivy cover. I've handled a variety of different types over the years, make sure you get heavy duty side openers. they make ones that open from the top, and they make ones that have the durability of a garbage bag, you really don't want either.

Had no idea anyone made that book, will give it a read when I get through my current pile of books. Has anyone considered a concrete vault that can be opened/closed as needed to add to? Just kicking an idea out there.

I didn't know about the book until I was just surfing the site looking for titles I may like.

I'd worry about the decomposition of the bodies making the concrete vault a true "cesspool".

Opening the lid to a concrete body dump sounds less apealing than opening up the lid of a septic tank. I nominate Viciostom to open the lid of the body vault. All in favor? AYE! opposed? _____ The Ayes have it.

I am sure glad you volunteered for the job Vicioustom. :)

Opening the lid to a concrete body dump sounds less apealing than opening up the lid of a septic tank. I nominate Viciostom to open the lid of the body vault. All in favor? AYE! opposed? _____ The Ayes have it.

I am sure glad you volunteered for the job Vicioustom. :)

If that were the worst job I ever got nominated for I'd be a much happier man today.

There is a method to burn that uses very little fuel and destroys the bodies. Google wick effect. Basically you wrap the corps in a sheet and pour some gas on the sheet. the burning sheet acts like the wick of a candle, heating the body to the point it "spontaneously combusts". Have seen a video of them doing this to a full size hog and completely burning the pig with a cup of gasoline. burrying would be preferred but depending on the amount of casualties it may not be a feasible option without heavy equipment.

If you live near the ocean, then dumping the bodies there is a decent option. Tides, current and marine life will quickly remove them. When the tsunami(s) smashed the Indian coast, they had the exact opposite problem, they were trying to figure out how to preserve/rescue the bodies for identification, before the waves and wildlife could carry them away - thousands of bodies.

I think the biggest concern (physically) would be to get the bodies as far away from my shelter/living area as possible, no matter what. Heat leads rapidly to decay and disease, attracts insects which spread sickness, and ruins morale for anyone who has to live with the bodies in view.

After that, it would very much depend on the situation. If there is little or no danger, I'd say a few words and bury/burn the body, or stack rocks/rubble over it. If I was trying to stay hidden from armed humans (who would be looking for signs of activity) then I'm sorry, but no burial at all, just place the bodies as far away from home as I can manage and then leave them. I want the bad guys to find decomposing bodies and wonder what happened, not find neat grave markers and know there is at least one guy still walking around.

that is also a way to find the living though. If I'm going through an area and stop finding any bodies, I know someone or something moved them. Animals dont typically move an entire body, much easier to rip off a to go plate and leave the rest.

that is also a way to find the living though. If I'm going through an area and stop finding any bodies, I know someone or something moved them. Animals dont typically move an entire body, much easier to rip off a to go plate and leave the rest.

That would depend on your situation...it sounds (by the way you describe it) that you are picturing a carpet of bodies and then you suddenly come to an area that has been cleaned of them. I don't expect or imagine anything like that will be the case (going through an area and 'stop finding bodies'). If there are so many bodies that moving a few makes a 'suspicious clean spot', then I'm hardly going to be staying there anyway because removing those few bodies would make no practical difference if you are surrounded by acres of them.

My point was that finding a few decomposing bodies piled in the street, an alley or around a car will not be as suspicious as finding graves/markers or neatly arranged bodybags/corpses.

Growing up on a farm, I always heard jokes about feeding someone to the pigs and you would never find the body. I dont suppose this would be a possibility for disposing of a bad guys corpse? Just trying to look at this in a practical manner, even if it is a distasteful subject.

Growing up on a farm, I always heard jokes about feeding someone to the pigs and you would never find the body. I dont suppose this would be a possibility for disposing of a bad guys corpse? Just trying to look at this in a practical manner, even if it is a distasteful subject.

I have more respect for the pigs than feeding them a bad guy! :P