Sign in to follow this  
JamesHitt74

WV Survival Groups?

Are there any goups around WV (north central hopefully)? Would be nice to envolve families or individuals in discussions and the real world practice of survival skills. Not wanting to join anything weird or cultish, just like minded people that are perhaps concerned about the future and want to speak with others about being prepared and having solid skills to fall back on. Helping each other create b.o.b.'s and the like. That kind of thing. The sharing of information with people you can trust is helpful. Not completely breaching Op Sec, but you get the picture.

Welcome,another Wv.

Have friends and family near you.

Mineral County.Check some local hunt clubs,and the Boy Scouts.

Also check the local Ham operator clubs also.

Check our forum first to see what you are lacking FIRST and go from there.

Check the Cumberland area also.

Thanks for the good advice. You are right on about this area. I'll look into the ideas you gave. I can't just bring this stuff up with the people I know, not even friends. They are quick to judge and would label me as a nut or extremist. I don't really have anyone to speak with about my real concerns, I have to approach it from a camping, hiking, backpacking perspective. Nothing wrong with that stuff, I love it, just wish I could say to someone "Man things are lookin' kinda rough these days, if it gets a bunch worse we need to have a plan." Know what I mean?

Thanks for the good advice. You are right on about this area. I'll look into the ideas you gave. I can't just bring this stuff up with the people I know, not even friends. They are quick to judge and would label me as a nut or extremist. I don't really have anyone to speak with about my real concerns, I have to approach it from a camping, hiking, backpacking perspective. Nothing wrong with that stuff, I love it, just wish I could say to someone "Man things are lookin' kinda rough these days, if it gets a bunch worse we need to have a plan." Know what I mean?

James, I'm with ya brother. I think we are all struggling with the same issue to one degree or another. I am new to all of this and while I do know some like-minded folks and have spoken to them, they are not near me. I'm taking it slow with my own family because my wife is simply in denial as is my son-in-law. I'm working on my different preps and remain hopeful for the best. I'm going to TRY to get my wife involved SLOWLY, by doing some canteen stove cooking w/ some FD meals. That's probably my best angle for her. The neighbor across the street is the only local guy that seems like-minded but his wife wears the pants in that family and I'm pretty sure she even voted for the Big O, so he'll likely be worthless when the time comes. He has a gun but the wife doesn't even know about it. That says a lot. So, in other words, there is NO ONE near me that will have my back as I reload, or take a leak for that matter, and that sucks

Brothers,and you are.

Start your planning from a cost saving view."Honey its easyer to store and purchase this"." What happens IF I lose my job?".It takes discusion to change a way of thinking,it did for most of us here on the Forums.Stocking food is the first step,ask her what she would do "IF you were not there?".

Its up to you because you share your life with her,and others around you.Start putting out feelers and do small projects.Do a small BOB.

I still get a funny look by my co workers when i carry my Coleman "Lil oscar" to work and they see about 2 days of dry food and some canned meat in it.

If you are in a church ask your Pastor if he has plans to support the local area if a storm comes?Food pantrey?

Again,many ways to start a conversion so listen and adjust.

JMHO..

I'm with ya guys. There is no easy way of doing certain things I guess. I suppose I just need to remember what we are all doing and why. Easy is the last thing we have coming if things turn out the way we all fear they could. I will always help as many folks as I can. My family has to come first, its my duty. At least we have everyone here to speak with. I will look for others around me and put everyone's advice to use. I have more to say on this but I'm getting pulled away from the computer, I'll finish here in a bit.

I just returned from chupacabra Territory and the place I stayed would break every one up and seat then with 5-7 strangers for breakfast just to help people meet new people well you were there. Someone brought up the fact that most people don't know much about self preservation like how to boil water to make it safe to drink. With a little bit of guiding the conversation I was able to have a wonderful discussion about which pieces of infrastructure hold society together the most and it was nice not having to worry about OPSEC to much because I never got around to introducing my self and my friends and family weren't at the table.

Once you get the gears moving in someones head they tend to keep moving for a while after you quit talking.

Another WV family here. A little late on the prepping, but working hard to get where we need to be. We really want to find a close community of like-minded people to work with, possibly find safe spots to bug-out to and just generally support each other. The hardest part of what we are doing so far, other than financial issues, is getting our children to understand that they can not talk about our prepping because each person they tell would put us at risk. As you know, WV is a small community - everyone knows everyone's business either first hand or by association. I haven't found any groups around here but continue looking. That's what brought me to this site. If you find a group, please let us know. We are also open to any advice or suggestions that we may not have thought of. If we have to bug-out, we feel the mountains are our best bet. Avid campers so we know lots of areas, but are concerned over stability of the mountains and not sure if any are over fault lines. Let's keep in touch. :)

RommelFamily ..Welcome.If need be start your own group.there is a Forum on it here somewheres.

Yes these here mountains are a safe plase to be.No fault lines that I know of BUT a small quake was felt here in November that started near Virginia Teck..

Handlebar..Welcome...ShortGap and FortAshby area is my old stomping grounds..I miss the trout fishing in that area.PawPaw is great for hunting because of the old apple orchards.

Jamesgang..First of all you do what you want.Being carefull is just being carefull,If TSHTF and everyone knows you have things they need, they Will be at your door,and you KNOW how Wv gossipes.It has sent more than one person to jail.

I remember at the state Fair one year a Neighbor turned in another neighbor for useing unmarked farm diesel for his truck.

Oh the State Police took his truck and he paid Taxes out the ass.To this DAY theWVa. State Police check TRUCKS at the State Fair...

So do what you want...Im just being carefull....

JamesGang - have you ever seen the old "Twilight Zone" episode where a nuclear bomb warning is sent out and everyone in the neighborhood storms a neighbors house that they know had built a fall-out shelter? Search it on YouTube - best reality in a EOTWAWKI scenario. Or, as the saying goes, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals." People who aren't prepping will kill you and your family to get what you have to help them survive! When it's every man for himself, morals go out the window.

RommelFamily..

Morning..I have a friend in Elkins served togeather in Germany..Great Area

The panhandle offers great places.

Monagahela National Forest and CASS...Coldest place to be..oooo.great place to hide..and George Washington Nat.Forest is close also..

so any where close to them offers food on the hoof.and if you can get land off the path a couple miles south it would be great..

BUT take a look at your maps..your in the middle of RT 79 and RT 81...I know it its a long shot that anyone would be able to walk to eather National Forest from eather Highways but consider all options.The fishing is great and the land scape is easy to defend..People get LOST in Monagahela every year.LMAO..

Over all it would be a great area..

Lets NOT forget about the Black Bears also..It part of our state seal...lol

Edited by 101matt

I don't know why everyone is saying this with what I posted. I never said I lived in mt. storm. I never said I had a shelter. I do know that weather I told you I did or not. There will be a great number of people trying to get what you have. I am sure there will be death, In the way of protecting what you have. We will face very bad things when it happens. people from the city will come to the mountain on rt 50. The fire department said they will block roads to try to keep these people moving on past are area. living up here does not mean your safe from locals or strangers. I do fill safer here then down there. I fill there will be groups all over like on the move postman. I don't think you can do this by your self. unless you have large sum of money and use it now in the right ways. Which most do not. I also think living in the city and moving to the mountains if it does happen will not be a good thing. People will not just let you in if they don't know you.They will think of you as someone looking for a hand out. I think if your planning on moving to the mountain, you need to do it now!!

Edited by JAMESGANG

Together, the 48 contiguous states and D.C. occupy a combined area of 3,119,884.69 square miles (8,080,464.3 km2). Of this, 2,959,064.44 square miles (7,663,941.7 km2) is land, comprising 83.65% of U.S. land area. Officially, 160,820.25 square miles (416,522.5 km2) is water area, comprising 62.66% of the nation's water area. Its 2000 census population was 279,583,437, comprising 99.35% of the nation's population. Its population density was 94.484 inhabitants/sq mi (36.480/km²), compared to 79.555/sq mi (30.716/km²) for the nation as a whole.[5] The 2010 census population was 306,675,006, comprising 99.33% of the nation's population, and a density of 103.639 inhabitants/sq mi (40.015/km²), compared to 87.264/sq mi (33.692/km²) for the nation as a whole.[6]

With a lot of this land not be desirable how many people do you think is going to be hunting, fishing & living in the same area as you. With that said. hunting & fishing anywhere will only work for so long. I say maybe 6 mo. at the most & there will not be any animals left to hunt or fish. To me the one's that will make it are the small groups that come together to farm & protect what you are farming. every one else is going to be eating each other.

I agree,we must come togeather and re build. its the first thing that needs to happen.

BUT consider 10% of the U.S. dying= 3 million...and most in the Citys because of Food Roits and other things.

Guess a bunch will want to come to WV. off rt.81..hope everyone is ready?

JMHO..

I agree with coming togeather. The hard part is who do you trust to come togeather with. I grew up in a small town along the river. One way in, with cliffs on one side. I thought if you blocked that road at the cliff area & had it guarded. the 20 or so famillies living here could grow & farm to survive. Everyone there are familly or have know each other for 50 years. People like that you should be able to trust.

James..again you are right..So why not contact them and be ready.Start with a question ..What IF..

and go from there..

Keep at it my fellow WV..Me and mine will Trade with you and yours.

I have extra top crop bean seeds,what you got..:}

I would but, I'm scared they will think I nuts. My mother is like me. My wife thinks I'm crazy. She is one of those that don't want to think about it. I think she knows but don't what to believe.

I would like to have them beans, how about dirt? alllll I'm sorry that's not the postman. that's water would.lol.