Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
exit

What's your favorite pocket knife for under $40.

43 posts in this topic

I just ordered my first Survival Knife! I can't freaking wait to get it!!! Should be here friday.

Now I'm trying to decide on a Pocket knife and would love to hear what you guys think. I've heard good things of Gerber so I am tempted to make this purchase (especially since I don't have a multi tool):

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-001015-Crucial-Strap-Cutter/dp/B0055OTB74/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1325649992&sr=8-5

but before I buy anything...... I'd like to see what you guys think I should buy for a EDC. I'm on a budget so the best bang for the buck wins the most points with me :)

Under $40?

Kershaw - Nerve, OSO Sweet, Volt II, Chill, Skyline, Leek, Scallion, etc etc.

CRKT - drifter, Ignitor

Buck - Vantage Select

Spyderco - Tenacious - Byrd series Cara 2

What kind of Survival knife did you pick up?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]410[/ATTACH]

SOG Seal Pup Elite TiNi :)

killer killer killer knife. my fav at this point actually. i have the regular blk seal pup.

wouldnt trade it for nothing either.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]410[/ATTACH]

SOG Seal Pup Elite TiNi :)

Thanks droptrd, I'll check those out... which is your favorite and why?

I like the most of the kershaws better (And i do have all of those I listed). Better steel and higher quality everything. But...

I carry the CRKT Ignitor for this reason - I like the feel of it in my pocket. The contours of the handle feel very comfortble to me in my pocket. It feels nice against my leg in my pocket and it doesnt tear up my hand when I have to get into my pocket. And I like the pocket clip better too. It attaches easily but stays put also. It sits deep in the pocket and the clip doesnt stick out so far that it scratches my arm or snags on stuff.

Several Kershaws. Love the Kershaw. If your looking for an on line knife store check this one out.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp

If you get the chance to go to their store then GO. Its three levels of a knife lovers version of heaven. I was there for three hours and never went the same counter twice.

Edited by awake

killer killer killer knife. my fav at this point actually. i have the regular blk seal pup.

wouldnt trade it for nothing either.

Thanks Rick :) You have no idea how excited I am to get it. It arrives tomorrow or Friday. I almost bought the regular Seal Pup Elite non-black TiNi one.... I wanted to save the $20 and thought it would be useful to have a knife that can reflect light...... but then I convinced myself if I had to hunt or sneak up one someone/something then the black would be better... I like the way it looks in black more anyway. I finally concluded that this would probably be the last survival knife I would buy for a few years so I might as well spend the extra cash and get what I really want. Picked it up for $72 on ebay shipped and all.

Glad to hear you love it. Now I'm even more excited haha

I like the most of the kershaws better (And i do have all of those I listed). Better steel and higher quality everything. But...

I carry the CRKT Ignitor for this reason - I like the feel of it in my pocket. The contours of the handle feel very comfortble to me in my pocket. It feels nice against my leg in my pocket and it doesnt tear up my hand when I have to get into my pocket. And I like the pocket clip better too. It attaches easily but stays put also. It sits deep in the pocket and the clip doesnt stick out so far that it scratches my arm or snags on stuff.

I hear you. I've gone to a bunch of stores to try and hold the knives to get a feel for them. I held a Ka-Bar and realized it was too impractical for what I needed.... I wish I could do the same for the pocket knife but they're almost always wrapped in a plastic container... I might have to buy a few before I'm happy.... not that I'm complaining ;)

Several Kershaws. Love the Kershaw. If your looking for an on line knife store check this one out.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp

If you get the chance to go to their store then GO. Its three levels of a knife lovers version of heaven. I was there for three hours and never went the same counter twice.

Sweet store. I'm a bargain shopper though. I will always buy wherever is cheapest. I will DEFINTELY visit that store if I get a chance.

There is an upcoming gun show next week.. I'm going to try and get my hands on everything I see (knives) :)

the one i use the most- my little swiss army hunter-before it disappeared.. the scissors and saw were the bomb!, explorer will be my next one, carry a gerber multi tool also, but its not a pocket knife...

I'm a casual collector so right now my favorite is the Boker Magnum in woodland camo. Solid knife with an anodized blade and pocket clip. Normally I would get a combo blade but this one's a straight edge. I like the weight and the anodized clip does not flash the eye. I'm not supposed to carry a knife of this type at work so I use a Gerber replacable blade folding utility knife when at work. Deep pocket I carry a Wenger traveler. All these are under 40$'s. In my edc pack I carry a SOG multi-tool (definitely not under 40$). Aside from an actual "weapon" I think I'm pretty well covered.

kevharde

Looks like that Spyderco Tenacious has a lot of votes of confidence!

Although pretty much every knife people have comment I've looked at I've wanted to purchase. I have some time to decide since I won't be able to buy one for about a month.... getting my concealed weapons license next week and thats going to cost me a pretty penny for the mean time....

EDC w/clip and fast deployment, Kershaw "Needs Work" $39 @ Walmart, or CRKT "Ripple"$29 @ Walmart.

In the pocket- Almost any Victorinox Swiss Army knife.. I prefer the Alox "Pioneer Farmer" or the "One Handed Trekker"

I like knives a lot. I collect them and make them. I generally carry a Kershaw assisted opening for work and just general usage but recently got a Leatherman Freestyle and just love it. I don't need all the assorted goodies that most multitools have and they are heavy. The Freestyle is a one handed opening knife on a pair of needle-nose leatherman pliers. It weighs less than my old buck folder and is small enough to fit in my pants pocket like a knife should.

hey I got so many I can't count them

but the flavor for the last couple of years

a smith & wesson swat assisted opener and a

Swiss army champ {I can never remember but it has the magnifier} 33 functions all absolutely needed in the bush.

my favorite is a little no-name brand knife i got at kmart for 6$ it goes with me everywhere i go.

Almost same story here.

My Son gave me a no name pocket knife for Fathers day 7 yrs ago. I love it. It keeps an edge for ever. No problems ever with it.