Sign in to follow this  
awake

Dropping the weight

Anyone who has carried a backpack, BOB, GOOD or even a child on their back will tell you a pound or two less would make the load easier to carry. Weight reduction will make the difference of how far and how long you can make it. Ultra light backpackers use a method of redundancy. If an item can fill several uses then that item can serve to reduce the total weight of the overall load carried. Here is a list of things that can be used in several ways.

Military poncho-can be used as a tarp

Tarp- Can be used for shelter, rain gear, ground cover, rain catch, etc

Duct Tape – Use to prevent blisters, repair gear, bandage wrap….

Paracord – For traps, cloth line, fishing, clothesline, food bag line.

Multitool – Knife, tools, scissors, nail cutters, saws,

Candles-lighting, fire starter, waterproofing zipper lube.

Socks – warming hands, filtering water.

Metal canteen cup- Boiling Water, cooking food, bowl for eating.

Bandana- cooling head or neck wrap, sunscreen, water filter, bandages.

Safety Pins– fishing hooks, hanging items, securing bandages

Compass with Mirror– emergency signal, personal mirror, finding your way.

Dental Floss– fishing line, sewing thread, etc…

Plastic Bags-carry items, emergency water carrier, storing food.

Hiking Poles – Walking stick, shelter poles, emergency splint, protectiona.

Lets hear of any other ideas you have.

I keep up with Dave Canterbury a lot and he drills it in that you need to be able to use something for three things to carry it and you need three ways of doing something if you are going to do it. It works out good for me to stick with this rule. The last time I went through my BOB and applied the rule I dropped it by about 5 lbs. When I start looking at it I panic and fill it with everything I can think of. If I see something I like I will stick it in my pack and about once a month I have to rethink and clean it out.

I keep up with Dave Canterbury a lot and he drills it in that you need to be able to use something for three things to carry it and you need three ways of doing something if you are going to do it. It works out good for me to stick with this rule. The last time I went through my BOB and applied the rule I dropped it by about 5 lbs. When I start looking at it I panic and fill it with everything I can think of. If I see something I like I will stick it in my pack and about once a month I have to rethink and clean it out.

I like that idea. I believe its a winner. Thanks meddle

Sticking with the "rules of three" should always be a part of every survivalists mantra.