Sign in to follow this  
exit

E-Book or Hardcopy

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has discussed or thought about possibly publishing Survival Cache articles on an ebook or hardcopy?

As a recent SC fan, I've been impressed by the amount of information on this site. While reading about a Carrington event, it dawned on me that if I were left without power or any sort of way to get on SC I would be at a huge disadvantage. Although this website has had an enormous impact on me getting new gear and such, I find that the actual website itself is in its very nature a survival tool. Its jam packed with info that I find myself reading and rereading to stay knowledgeable. In one article, I saw that the Amazon kindle is recommended for the BOB since its lightweight, can carry MANY books, and the battery will last a very long time. I actually have a Nook Tablet which I use for daily reading and entertainment. However, after reading some of these articles I thought it would be excellent if I purchased one of the cheaper black & white e-readers to put in my BOB. Some survival books are great but ideally I'd like to be able to access SC due to its concise articles which vary greatly in scope compared to most books.

I can't imagine it would be very difficult to publish SC articles as an E-Book, all you REALLY have to do is transfer the material into a PDF and create an index. I'd do it for my own personal use but wouldn't want to violate any copyrights ;) or go through the trouble if its already been done.

What do you guys think?

Kindle,yes.My wife carried 6 teck manules to work everyday.I.T. kindle saved her back,she was able to get information easy.

I use the kindle and sd cards to keep most items i find usefull. waiting for the kindle with a sd card readed that has color for my wild herb books.

There is a website that has a lot of military field manuals in PDF. I think it is US joint service manuals put out by stevepages.com. I am not sure about what is after the backslash but that is is the home link. I have downloaded quite a few of the manuals. Some of them are not really nessecary, but I really liked the mountaineering manuals.

Have a good one.

DesertRat

Guest kevin

i like the kindle and nook......but all my survival books are on paper......at least till i can etch them on granite. lol

Some things SHOULD be in hard copy. Remember, if it is TEOTWAWKI you are going to have to educate the next few generations. Not just survival stuff but also the math and science needed to start the rebuilding.

My ebooks are all backed up by hard copies. You don't have to spend a fortune on them. A 1960's version of the CRC Tables for Math and Physics contains all of the stuff you'd need in the form of math and science for rebuilding from a 1890's level of technology. You NEED the trig tables and log tables to do survey work for example.

When I see a store clerk reach for a calculator to compute my bill I come close to despair. I do in my head what she has trouble doing on a calculator. What will happen without the calculators once all the batteries are gone? Perhaps not a fair judgement but we used to be a society of folks who BUILT things. Not so much anymore. If you expect a TEOTWAWKI event, I would suggest that after you ensure your survival you should think about the following generations. That was one of the BIG lessons I took from "Farnham's Freehold" by Heinlein. The REASON to survive is to start the rebuilding and for that you need books that will out live you.

I have a basic Physics textbook (college level) from 1903! It SPECULATES on the possibility of heavier than air flight and talks about telephone crank generators, how they're built and the physics of their operation. It took us a hundred years to get from there to here. I'd like it to not take quite so long next time.

And does anyone remember how to count change back to someone without actually having the answer given by a computer/cash register/calculator? Kids nowadays can't do it.

I have a number of books on my nook, but not what I need, or not enough of what I need. And we have a solar charger. That'll do for a while, but I don't even try to make myself think that those will last forever.

I'm really good at arithmetic, even in my head, but can't do higher math, and can't wrap my head around chemistry and physics. My strengths lie elsewhere, so I'll concentrate on those. I want to get a midwifery book and some good first aid instructions. Also, back-to-basics cooking information. After all, who can bake bread or biscuits or can anything without instructions anymore? And I have a small stockpile of basic school supplies: pencils, paper, chalk. I can teach kids the fundamentals of reading, writing, math, and I can do it without books, I think, but it would be better with.

i think sc should create them in both, i dont have a kindle but i would get one. also wish that sc would create a common edible plants guide. maybe based on regions, because i cant find a book out there that has region specific information. i do appreciate hardcopy as well, and i do believe as nana does that education is very important. my ultimate goal is to stock up on a whole curriculum based education for my kids in cases of shtf, or teotwawki.

I agree that a balance is needed.I like my Kindle,BUT I have a few old books that will come in Handy.I use one now at work and discuse it with my cooks.

Practical Dietetics/1920 11th edition.

Contence..example Food Values..The balance of Energy and Nitrogen Equilibrium..and much more..lol its a great read for feeding the sick..

JMHO