Looking back at my youth in east Texas, I found that we thrived and survived from what we learned handed down through the ages.

Pinto beans, rice and corn bread were staple or comfort food as were some others I will mention later. The caloric value and physical energy that sustains you through out the day was what the importance of dishes like these they were fairly simple and you could do other chores while cooking they could last through the day just keep adding water to beans or peas  Hocks or scraps of meat helped add calories taste and eliminated waste. I recall watching a chef take all the trimmings of vegetables and put them in a pot and allowed them to simmer all day and strain off and this was the base for many of his dishes, it tasted fantastic.

Waste not want not, a good selection of beans peas and legumes has been a broad base of life sustaining food over the ages.

Cheese was a way to not waste milk and turn it in to a long lasting food source. Alcohol beer and wine production was to turn fast spoiling fruits into a long lasting food source if taken in reasonable amounts it is not raging or disgusting like all things too much is really bad. With canning jars storing juice is easy just use the large quart jars and follow directions on canning. Tomato juice is great learn to make your own spicy version for those morning Bloody Mary's

some of the other comfort foods were corned beef and cabbage roast meat with carrots and potatoes even whole onions. Stews, as we never had soup -- well we did but we like chunky and thick over broth as only sick people got broth and toast UGH.

Cornbread was a staple and after reading the caloric value I see why not to mention the leftovers were heated with butter and syrup or honey for breakfast. sometimes we took boiled eggs with our lunch to use up the excess eggs and not waste those @ 96 calories each but the basic information does not explain the greater value of eggs.

Beans like pinto, Kidney, navy and their sort have plenty of trace minerals and vitamins   peas like blackeye's chick and field peas have much the same.  lintels are little powerhouses to fuel a person for the day ahead.

Potatoes kept the Irish nation on it's feet never forget starches have kept mankind out of the grave until better times rice keeps half the population of the world alive and white rice is the best for storage as all others have more vitamins and proteins but do not like to be stored for long durations.

Biscuits & gravy is better than an empty stomach, I think people need to learn to make biscuits cornbread and flour tortillas from scratch.  A good friend and I had a conversation where he told me an amazing fact that most young people have no idea how to cook dried beans peas or legumes or rice for that matter and that is insane IMHO, so teach your children something before they go out in the world, Please !

I like using only one pot or one pan dishes.

This way less cleaning of dishes.

Conserving all your resources, as much as possible when SHTF happens will be a normal routine, unless one is a snowflake.

Made lots of fried rice, beans & rice , soup dishes etc.

I’m always testing my gear & dishes in different weather environments, to see how long it takes to cook the dishes and the amount of fuel or wood it takes.

Very true P210SIG conservation in hard times is so important, for instance soap is plays a key roll in disease prevention I keep at least 5 gallons on hand and I also keep a lot of bleach and on the medical side a lot of antiseptics. If anyone notices the cleaning isle could be empty in a matter of minutes, in this last storm with the 1,000 year flood cleaning supplies were in short supply even mops brooms and sprayers. I did not flood because I can read a topo map.

I keep enough paper plates towels and plastic ware to last for an extended period so all I would have to wash is the pot or pan, this is where cast iron shines all you have to do is rinse it out with water wipe it dry and oil it (cooking oil not WD-40) :D and your ready for the next meal. once all the aluminum foil is gone it is back to dutch ovens and proper fitting lids as open pots and pans loose most of the heat and a waste of fuel because steam helps cook faster and makes food more tender. People also need to get a stainless fry basket and a proper fitting trivet this keeps the food your frying from sticking to the bottom of the pan. and it helps to drain excess oil over placing the food on paper towels, another item that will disappear look at Venezuela they can't get paper towels napkins or toilet paper mostly it's not available and even if it was they can't afford it they need the money for food.