Sign in to follow this  
Guest zen811

Medical Kit Prep

Sorry but I didn't have a chance to read through all the posts so sorry if my question is redunant but how long is a med kit good for? (generally) We have all run across a first aid kit that looks like it has been sitting around since the civil war and all the bandages are yellow and unsure if you would want to use anything in the box and it might have only been sitting there for a year or two...

good question tinder. for me, if ive bought it and know where its been, im ok with whatever the stuff inside may look like lol. thing is, if its ever gotten to hot like in the sun to many times, the sticky on the bandages start to loose their stickiness. so be careful with buying second hand 1st aid kits or things of that nature, or if found. this is something you dont want to fail you when needed.

hey guys I'm working on getting a paramedic degree, and i just want to throw in thing in on this, QuikClot is the Sh!t, deep knife wounds or even a glanced bullet wound, this stuff will work great! they sell a sport version on amazon definitely look into it

Dr. Bone or Nurse Amy if you could chime in I'd appreciate it:

I have chronic gastritis, I've changed my diet and cut out the coffee (for the most part, I keep relapsing lol), and I currently take omeprazole to control the acid reflux. In a SHTF scenario I would be SOL because the omeprazole would eventually run out. Any suggestions on what I could eat or take to control the acid?

I try to drink chamomile tea often, which seems to help, but I'm not sure it would enough to control the acid reflux. If I was off the medication for more than a day I would start getting acid reflux. After changing my diet I can now go several days off the medication without any symptoms. Any suggestions?

im with exit on this. in all honesty, and against what we are told, chocolate works for me. i keep a snickers bar handy. heartburn shows up and i dont have my omeprazole i take a nice big bite. soon its all over. ive actually switched to prevacid from omeprazole. works better for me.

hi exit,

These natural products seem to work well:

raw organic apple cider vinegar: take one spoonful before each meal.

baking soda: a spoonful in water and drink it before the fizzing stops.

Mix juice from an aloe vera leaf in a glass water and drink before a meal.

Dr. Bones

im with exit on this. in all honesty, and against what we are told, chocolate works for me. i keep a snickers bar handy. heartburn shows up and i dont have my omeprazole i take a nice big bite. soon its all over. ive actually switched to prevacid from omeprazole. works better for me.

Rick, I've also learned through experience that having snacks readily available make a big difference in keeping acid levels low. Ideally, you should have 4-5 meals a day (small portions). I try to keep an apple or protein bar in my EDC bag just in case. Also, I have my lunch box which is filled with snacks if I don't anticipate having enough time to stop and eat a meal.

My girlfriend taught me this and it has really helped keep my acid re-flux down.

Oh and its not the chocolate that might be helping stop the acid, its probably the nuts in Snickers. I know they say chocolate should be avoided but it has never triggered reflux for me. Its usually very acidic stuff like orange juice, tomato sauce, or coffee.

hi exit,

These natural products seem to work well:

raw organic apple cider vinegar: take one spoonful before each meal.

baking soda: a spoonful in water and drink it before the fizzing stops.

Mix juice from an aloe vera leaf in a glass water and drink before a meal.

Dr. Bones

Thanks Dr. Bones, I will keep those in mind. Hopefully I can figure out something a little more pleasant though lol

Edited by exit

actually the apple cider vinager is a treat exit. in the heat of the FL day, get ya a glass of ice water ok. then get a teaspoon of brags ACV, and dump it in. stir. i promise you, there is nothing on the planet ive seen that will quench the thirst like this mixed drink.

actually the apple cider vinager is a treat exit. in the heat of the FL day, get ya a glass of ice water ok. then get a teaspoon of brags ACV, and dump it in. stir. i promise you, there is nothing on the planet ive seen that will quench the thirst like this mixed drink.

I'll try looking for it at Publix

Me and Rayz have a medical bag set up for our BOB situations, goes something like this:

Pieces of cardboard (used for splinting)

1 adult and 1 pediatric C-Collar

2 snuffle bottles w/vial

2 rolls of 2'' Tape

3 rolls of 1'' transpore tape

4 surgical hand scrubs

4 caviwipes

2 60x96 burn sheets

2 12x30 trauma dressings

300 cotton balls

2 trauma shears

1 BP cuff

1 Stethoscope

10 5x9 Gauze pads

25 4x4 Gauze pads

about 20 kerlex

3 10cc Luer locks

3 20cc LL

several packs of matches

bulb syringe

pen light

tweezers

safety pins

razor

2 10ml drip sets

2 60ml drip sets

1 blood-Y tubing

4 1000mL Lactated ringers

several ACE bandages

3 vasogauze

7 1cc LL

6 1cc VP syringes

6 3cc VP syringes

several suture kits

IV catheters 14g-24g

several 5ml saline preloads

as you can tell, a little more set up for a trauma situation... but med's will be added shortly and there's several things that haven't been inventoried yet.

Oh and nitrile gloves...

Edited by Mudbass7
gloves/spelling