Sign in to follow this  
exit

Help me find a ham radio!

True. But if you're trying to be discreet about a conversation... you can be.... lol

I'm only getting it so I can talk with my girl in case other forms of communication go down.

By the way, if anyone cares, I passed my exam! Should get my call sign soon :)

YAY!:D Congrats!

True. But if you're trying to be discreet about a conversation... you can be.... lol

I'm only getting it so I can talk with my girl in case other forms of communication go down.

By the way, if anyone cares, I passed my exam! Should get my call sign soon :)

Excelent...Im still studying ...I should be ready myself soon..

YAY!:D Congrats!

Thanks M-M :)

Excelent...Im still studying ...I should be ready myself soon..

Matt, I studied from a book up until about chapter 7. At that point I got tired of studying. A lot of the info covered will be useless to me (based on my goals of being a HAM), so after that I just reviewed the questions from the exam. Memorize anything that isn't too important.

Howdy! I don't know anything about ham radios, but I found a bunch of them on eBay, and at a website: www.hamradio.com/

Best of luck!

the Bay of E does have a lot of ham gear and I've bought a lot there. Just be aware that not all of the gear is as represented. I've gotten some real jewels and a few real duds. You just take your chances.

Craigslist also has some, depending on your area and http://qrz.com/ (which is a call sign look up site that I use all the time) also has a section for selling items. You don't bid on QRZ.com but you are buying from a ham, his call sign is out there and you are less likely to get junk.

I got my first radio! w00t w00t!

Its pretty sweet. I like how small it is and its pretty rich with features. I'm still figuring this thing out but I haven't made my first contact yet :(

I got my first radio! w00t w00t!

Its pretty sweet. I like how small it is and its pretty rich with features. I'm still figuring this thing out but I haven't made my first contact yet :(

exit,

that comes with time. Get with your club members (web site if they have one) and try to find locals who can help you get started. My 6 meter antenna is down at the moment. Do you have 10 meters as well?

For you guys that are new to radio, an outfit has a software package for computing lengths of the various elements of all kinds of antennas. You put in the frequency you want, it'll give you the dimensions.

http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/rftoolbox.html

A word of caution, for some uses, these antennas are illegal if the rule of law still exists. (You can't legally use a beam for GMRS for example. Simple to build one and it is very effective at extending range, just isn't legal.)

Made my first contact! I chimed in when some locals were talking on a repeater (after they finished their conversations). They're from the local club but I haven't met them. I'm going to go to the meeting and see if I can chat with anyone.

Capt, I've talked to my friend about making the antenna and he is definitely game on. I have to wait til I get paid from work and I will probably start buying the parts and build it soon. I'm also considering a home set up for 10M. That will take a while though....

Made my first contact! I chimed in when some locals were talking on a repeater (after they finished their conversations). They're from the local club but I haven't met them. I'm going to go to the meeting and see if I can chat with anyone.

Capt, I've talked to my friend about making the antenna and he is definitely game on. I have to wait til I get paid from work and I will probably start buying the parts and build it soon. I'm also considering a home set up for 10M. That will take a while though....

Congratulations, OM. The first is always a thrill. Get comfortable with the group, with the radio work and you'll grow into a comfort zone. Let me know if I can help.

Congratulations, OM. The first is always a thrill. Get comfortable with the group, with the radio work and you'll grow into a comfort zone. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks, I appreciate the support!