Sign in to follow this  
exit

Help me find a ham radio!

Matt,

Sounds like the right people. A bit of caution; once you have a ham license your address is public knowledge. Putting it on a forum like this gives anyone who knows the ability to find at least your mailing address. Not saying don't get the license; just be careful who knows that you are both a prepper AND a ham. Oh, and I'd be pleased to work you when you have your license.

Shewwwwww way over my head...I will stick with smoke signals......B)

As you choose, of course, but the test is multiple guess. If you don't care to do so, fine but if it is the size of the question pool, it looks scarier than it really is. Out of 400 questions you'll be ask 35 or so and there are multiple questions for each topic so it isn't quite as tough as it sounds.

Im meeting with a club member to get study guides on Tuesday he also has his FLL licence.HOME RUN.

I stated to fish on the net and was overwelemed again,but got the resent "question pool" Even I can guess about 35 answers correctley(and no I cant spell worth shit) but Im trying..lol

Ok after further research I have found the Hamm Radio that has a couple features that I want to have.First I talked to the "Club" members.I checked the web and read all the reviews.

Yaesu is the company.

A hand held is where to start,but with all things,I will want to add to my ability and take advantage of the systems out there.:}

one-touch access to YAESU’s exciting and fun WiRES-II™ VoIP Internet Linking system! thats right a system that usees the net.Ya wonderfull.

Model#YAESU FT 270R VHF Handheld Two Way Radio..Its $168.00 pluss shipping.But a lesser model that cant use the net is $129.00.So $40.00 gets you more radio,and the DARN thing is water proof for 30minutes 3 ft deep.

here is the link and company..

http://www.twowayradioonline.com/FT270.asp

So somebody better than me PLEASE review this to make sure Im doing it right. :}

Ok after further research I have found the Hamm Radio that has a couple features that I want to have.First I talked to the "Club" members.I checked the web and read all the reviews.

Yaesu is the company.

A hand held is where to start,but with all things,I will want to add to my ability and take advantage of the systems out there.:}

one-touch access to YAESU’s exciting and fun WiRES-II™ VoIP Internet Linking system! thats right a system that usees the net.Ya wonderfull.

Model#YAESU FT 270R VHF Handheld Two Way Radio..Its $168.00 pluss shipping.But a lesser model that cant use the net is $129.00.So $40.00 gets you more radio,and the DARN thing is water proof for 30minutes 3 ft deep.

here is the link and company..

http://www.twowayradioonline.com/FT270.asp

So somebody better than me PLEASE review this to make sure Im doing it right. :}

Not better, just more experienced: I've been doing this stuff since 1962! First Yeasu is a solid company. I've had several of their rigs over the years and have never been disappointed. The rig you are looking at is a good 2 Meter rig - nothing at all bad to say about it. For any handheld, I would seriously consider getting a headset/microphone-speaker if you want to be able to not hold it the entire time you are using it.

The other company to look at would be Alinco. My bride has one of their handhelds and really likes it. It is not as capable nor water proof so look at prices and features. One thing I have discovered is that the new rigs have 87 dozen features but they are like the old Bill Cosby skit on the big console radios. 23 knobs but the only ones that do anything are the 'off-on volume' and 'band' selector! Point is, most features are not used. Some are useful but others just jack up the price if you're not going to use it.

If you are getting a single band radio I would definitely get 2 meters. If you go dual band, get 2 meters and 440. OK, mixed terms, 2 Meters is 144 MHz and 440 MHz is 70 Centimeters - for some reason hams OFTEN use 2 meters and 440 when talking about dual band radios but sometimes use 70 Cm so no hard and fast rule - go figure.

Anyway, for a first rig, excellent choice. The price is good and the capabilities will not disappoint. If you find holding the radio becomes tiresome, then a headset should be available.

Thanks Very much.I was looking for a reason to get the head set anyway.lol i will check the Alinco also and will keep in mind about the 70 centimeters.

Again thanks,have been keeping exit informed also. :}

Found a great site for Hamm.I searched the reviews about this model and found that it was easer to program from the manual(I need easy)than the first one i loked at.

It does have both bands,I took to hart the fact that I was getting more than I first needed.So here is the model and link.Its only $129.99 and a ear phone set is $7.00.Yaaa.

http://www.cheapham.com/alinco-dj-v57t-dual-band-ht-transceiver-arriving-soon/

thanks Capt.Bart..

Because of personal issues I was NOT able to take test today...But will continue to study and take the test asap.So keep at it and dont waver its a great Idea.

I'm at Chapter 5 in my Ham book (there are 9 chapters). The test is in 2 days. I might have to wait another Month to take it. Or I could roll the dice and risk $15.

Okay, I didn't go take the test. I hadn't finished studying and I decided I want to pass the test on the first try. That being said, after studying a good deal and having a much better understanding of what I want to look for I decided I will purchase this ham hand held radio:

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=8D3254BFC69FB172D78647DC56EFB0E9&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

I will DEFINITELY be done studying by next month for the test. I will probably purchase the radio around the same time.

I made the decision to get a 6M hand held because

1. It would be the simplest set-up for both me and my girlfriend (no need to install/hook up anything)

2. I can get some extended range with the 6M

3. Judging by the popularity of 2M, I will probably find the 6M range to be a bit quieter

4. It Doesn't rely on a car battery or the power grid (until I have to charge it), giving me the freedom to move anywhere and therefore more bug out friendly.

5. Compared to some other set-ups, its much cheaper.

If anyone has any other 6M hand held's that I should consider, I am open to suggestions. For now, this is what I plan to get :)

yaesu is the best rated company for hand held and I may have to look at this one also..Great find..

oh sugar out of my price range..lol

Yaesu VX-7RS

Silver Case

6m/2m/440 MHz

Order #0777

List Price: $494.00

Your Price: $369.95

Edited by 101matt

Exit,

great radio - it gets 6 meters but it also covers 2 meters and 70 cm - that is a solid radio ... I may have to look at one myself.

Took me a while to finally decide. Now I just gotta cough up the cash. :(

I'll let you all know soon as I pass the test... maybe we could rag chew.... (I'm learning the lingo pretty quick lol)

The one thing that has not been brought up is the fact that the minute you call out your call sign.Anyone can look you up on the internet.Your name,address so on.Although it is a great Hobbie some people get there tech to talk to family while traveling not so much to talk to everybody else.I just want to put that warning out there so that everyone is clear that when you take your test you are put into the FCC database and the ham data list.So if you have the right info you can look up any call sign and see who your talking to.

The one thing that has not been brought up is the fact that the minute you call out your call sign.Anyone can look you up on the internet.Your name,address so on.Although it is a great Hobbie some people get there tech to talk to family while traveling not so much to talk to everybody else.I just want to put that warning out there so that everyone is clear that when you take your test you are put into the FCC database and the ham data list.So if you have the right info you can look up any call sign and see who your talking to.

True. But if you're trying to be discreet about a conversation... you can be.... lol

I'm only getting it so I can talk with my girl in case other forms of communication go down.

By the way, if anyone cares, I passed my exam! Should get my call sign soon :)