Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
juzcallmesnake

Making a Survival candle that is really useful

3 posts in this topic

Candles are the best emergency lighting and heating because they are simple you need fire and a candle. but a single candle is not going to help much. Instead of using precious fuel to keep warm I decided to have a couple of alternative methods I have heat packs a propane torch it has a piezo striker and a couple of 1 pound propane bottles and a cookie tin candle.

Since it is near to the holidays I remember making bees wax candles in a cookie tin, one reason is they are wide and shallow you can put in a lot of wicks but you only need to light enough to satisfy your need at the moment I have kept them under my vehicle seat with a BIC lighter taped to the top.

I liked bees wax because it had little but a good scent it melted at a reasonable rate, better than soy or paraffin and we had plenty as we kept 10 hives or so all the time. Compared to paraffin wax it smells better burns a bit cleaner. I don't like scented candles to heat or cook over as they transfer flavor to what your cooking. as far as what I have researched petroleum or paraffin candles are not toxic and have a limited threat to humans if burned in a reasonable space I just prefer bees wax to make mine with and make them in a roughly 6 inch cookie tin and leave about a half inch of space between the wax and lid my wicks I keep about 1 and 1/2 inches apart slightly tighter in the center as I heat my cup there. you have to be very careful of fire but if your stuck in a vehicle in the cold just level it up not too close to the back of the seat light it and it won't take long to kill the chill.

bees wax has dozens of uses look them up I used it on decking screws makes them sink in fast and easy into old wood good for waterproofing leather / gloves

uses for bees wax

wally likes this

just a question what is the trade off between having a flashlight that lasts 6 months or 1 year and a few candles that may only last 2-3 weeks? from the light aspect of it all...

Wally, as far as illuminuation goes, give me a good flashlight or solar powered lantern like a Hybridlight PUC ANYDAY over candles. 

However, if you're relying on the light as a small source of heat,  you'll do far better with the candle. You could probably heat the inside of a pickup truck cab with a big multi-wick candle enough to keep you from freezing to death . Just gotta crack a window for carbon monoxide evacuation.

wally likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recent Topics

• my father was a bastard i never got to learn anything from him. a few men tried to teach me stuff later on but eventually i learned everything myself through the school of hard knocks. and i still don't know stuff that i should by now. thats why i admired men that take their role as father seriuosly.  
    • Good time to teach them tracking, awareness method morals and manners of the wildlife around them and fishing and as they can cleaning fish, some children can be sensitive so this is age and maturity predicated. I can't recall exactly when I was introduced to processing wild game but as far back as I can remember I watched my father clean coon, fish, rabbits, squirrels, dove, quail, pheasant,  turkey hogs and deer and some others, large animals were already field dressed when I got to see them the hunting I was allowed to go on was small game and I only got to shoot now and again until I was about 10 then I had my own pellet gun I could go terrorize the woods near the house.The more important thing I remember was the fantastic meals my mother cooked with most of it she had her limits tree rat coon were not on her edibles list she did like rabbit and the rest, but dad had to butcher them into manageable pieces for her to wrestle in the kitchen. we had a band saw and meat grinder and a butcher paper and tape dispenser man that made butchering easy. Fish we had a nice oak plank with an electric pump and sink at the boathouse I was taught to filet all fish except perch my mother like them gutted and scaled head off and she would fry them whole.  As P210SIG said good times father and son bonding may father had more medals than a Portuguese rear admiral, survival knowledge of living in the depression of war and making do with what little you had and a life of working off times in construction and the oilfield and helping friends as military pay was low. I got to watch and help  him do all kinds of things he built most of our second  first home and I had to help at the time I did not understand what all that accumulated knowledge would do for me, help and even save my life a time or three. I had no clue that his words would follow me all my life about safety security and the what where and how of just about everything, I never did get that sex talk though today I think that is really important where as in my day it was doubtful you would die from local slap and tickle I guess he figured those military STD movies might work their magic.
    • Good times , father & son bonding outdoors. Now that my sons in college, we have less time, enjoying theses activities together. Lifetime memories, job well done there Drew_ Forge
    • now that was a good father son thing to do...congrats...