Sign in to follow this  
juzcallmesnake

Winter Vehicle Survival tips

Vehicle Survival is Serious, any time of the year but, in winter you need to be especially careful. Vehicles slide off the road all the time, traffic jams because of major accidents causing hours of gridlock and most people are not prepared in an emergency to leave their vehicle.  the beginning of winter is when you find your battery needs replacing, worked fine yesterday today it's dead.

1st keep your tank filled no gasoline no heat even with gas if your tail pipe is covered it will allow exhaust to enter your vehicle from the underside, first you get bored then sleepy and then your at the pearly gates.

Have your basic vehicle tools like snow chains a jack w/ handle jumper cables flash lights  DUH more than one. Even if your not mechanical some hand tools so if someone who is may can help you.

Here is where your GHB or BOB can come in handy if your forced to leave your vehicle

thse tiny Water bottles can freeze and not bust so having some is not an issue I still advise a stainless steel camping cup and a razor knife you can cut the bottle off and put it in the cup and thaw it by using the heater vent or alternative source of heat listed below.

Have an alternative heat source trees and 18 wheeler loaded with whatever and you might be stuck for many hours. I like a Mr. Heater that runs off a 1 pound propane bottle because if your car dies or you run out of fuel your heater is not going to work, and you could be stranded for a long long time. you have to treat them properly place on a solid level surface because tipping the liquid will cause the burner to flash a ball of fire out and start your vehicle on fire.  So keep it on low and away from flammable surfaces I can put mine on the center console aimed at the windshield.and but my real heat source is a torch. candles in a cookie tin work ok but  keep your windows cracked carbon dioxide and monoxide kills. If that scares you keep plenty of chemical heaters. My torch heats the area but I have to watch it will not catch surfaces on fire but I can heat water in my stainess camp cup for coffee and hot chocolate, I keep a few Coup O Noodles inner warmth is helpful 

Consider having extra clothing in your vehicle for extreme weather just extra yoga pants don't count, insulated coveralls and a parka do make sure they cover your regular jacket and fit over all your clothes layers  helps to hold in warmth .  Shoes that are fit for walking and keeping your feet warm normal shoes suck at heat retention.

Food like MRE's have a self contained heat pack or snacks peanut butter or cheese crackers, raisins  pop tarts just anything you can rip open and chow down on.

Last having a backup battery bank  for your phone a  charger both AC and DC with a charging cable during emergencies cell towers can be spotty and phones seem to always be low or dead just when you need them. so if your forced to leave your vehicle take your charger with you, you may get a ride or find a place to shelter and be able to charge your phone up.

I posted on this in the past but a friend of mines daughter picked up her kid and on the way home traffic stopped well long story short the kid had a cutie coat that did not provide warmth she was in a hurry and left without a jacket as the school only a few miles away and her tank was low so while waiting she ran out of gas she did call her dad and he had to come get them  on a 4 wheeler she failed to tell him they had no winter clothing on so they rode a 4 wheeler for about 15 minutes in a blizzard when she left it was 40 degrees and falling.  people do this all the time get in a hurry and suffer for no better reason than being impatient or fail to look ahead and place others in a jam due to their failure.