Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

container houses and other small budget dwellings.

yep i just would have put a seal of sorts betwwen the two if it were mine.

i bet one could buy some property and put several of those up on like a beach type location.

i bet they would rent out quickly. would have to cover them in a quality paint or something like line-X.

please do. hope everybody gets in on this. housing is a issue in this country. yes the market is down indeed and the prices are more reasonable than ever, but the banks are lending $$ so WTF right??

if SHTF its only gonna get worse. lenders and landlords are gonna demand cash in a hurry guys.

banks and lender will probably call all loans due and landlords will do the "1 day late and your out" kind of thing.

I will take a chance and post my opion on this..

Shipping containers for small homes.

As a start lets look at what you can do and as always keep it simple.

JMHO too many want to stack containers or put 2 or 3 together. If you’re doing that just purchase lumber and build a shed in the woods. The labor required with time, money, to join 2 or 3 defeats the purpose of having a small unnoticeable retreat.

First what size are you going to be able to get and afford? Can you get it to the location you have picked out?

Shipping containers are standard 8foot by 20foot (small one) or 8foot by 40foot.

STANDARD CONTAINERS:

Standard 20'

inside

length inside

width inside

height door

width door

height capacity tare

weight maxi

cargo

19'4" 7'8" 7'10" 7'8" 7'6" 1,172CuFt 4,916lbs 47,900lbs

5.900m 2.350m 2.393m 2.342m 2.280m 33.2CBM 2,230Kg 21,770Kg

Standard 40'

inside

length inside

width inside

height door

width door

height capacity tare

weight maxi

cargo

39'5" 7'8" 7'10" 7'8" 7'6" 2,390CuFt 8,160lbs 59,040lbs

12.036m 2.350m 2.392m 2.340m 2.280m 67.7CBM 3,700Kg 26,780Kg

The doors are on one end and some have doors on the side. Some come insulated already. I like the ones with doors on the side also because I won’t be cutting anything out except a couple of holes for the chimney (heat) and water recovery and disposal and the solar connection (electrical).Foundation is as simple as concrete blocks leveled. Or dig a hole and use a concrete tube and pour concrete. Depending on your skill level and the time you have. Always level the foundation always.

Here is simple.

Simple to the point it’s livable, but not secure. Any time you cut the steel outer walls save the cut out steel and use for a sliding door using pole barn hardware and add a door or a window.

http://www.barndoorhardware.com/flat-track-hardware/standard-flattrack.html

This site has some great Ideas and the photos show you what I’m talking about. A couple of 2x6(treated) bolted above the cut out, and you can hang a sliding door or window with the steel you cut out. Yes you need to build a frame to hold the steel you just cut. Use 2x6 treated lumber.

Now what is important? What are you going to put into it? So you’re living in it? Framing the inside after you have checked that it has no holes in the roof or any place you don’t want one. Yes you need to put in a floor and insulate it and the new ceiling. I like the spray foam but you can use 1 inch Styrofoam. Regular 2x4s (pine spruce fir) not treated should be used.

This is where you get to find out how handy you really are. I always get somebody to help me design and draw out what I may need according to what I’m trying to achieve. I have over 20 years in the building supply industry and I forget some things, so get help in planning the interior and make a complete list of materials. Here is a trick I used in designing a kitchen. Use a spare room mark out two areas 8ft x 10 ft on the floor with masking tape. See what you can put in it and still walk around.

You have to eat and sleep and take a shower and cook and store your stuff, so go start measuring the products you will need and build it at home first.

I hope I have started you to think. There is much planning to do if you are going to use a container as a small retreat. Yes anyone can do this it just takes time and planning and money. Research every u tube to see others mistakes and adapt the good Ideas for your self.

Have fun 101matt.I will give advice if needed.LOL

Assuming underground containers aren't a possibility, has anyone looked into yurts for (above-ground) housing?

Depending on the plan you use, they seem reasonably inexpensive and a real possibility for DIY construction (create a kind of decking and add plywood for the floor, bolt together panels of lattice to create the walls, add a bit of framing for doors/windows, some poles to support the roof, and drape with heavy-duty cloth). They can be vented for having a heater or woodstove inside. The companies that manufacture them offer guarantees of 5-20 years, depending on model/materials selected.

You could also theoretically keep materials and plans at your BOL and wait to assemble until TSHTF, if you don't want to have a building that creates an attractive nuisance to thieves and vandals on-site now.