Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

in a bug out situation.......

First of all i would pick the rifle. In a shtf scenario i can make a fishing rod not a rifle.

Second i would fish the streams like the American Indians. they constructed cone shaped baskets with Sharp sticks that start at the wide end and point into the cone. Fish swims in but wouldnt leave as the sticks poke him as he tries. Put the trap out and come by once a day to check on your catch. Trap is mobile.

thats an odd question with certain rules. for the soul purpose of collecting food? i'd think if your on the run, you won't have time to hunt for food with a rifle. track, stalk, shoot, dress, make fire, eat, and continue running, (gotta run, since you dropped the rifle and took 6 shots, missing dinner and now everyone knows where your at. I've noticed around here, typically the firearm that can't be beat is the 10/22 ruger. with some ingenuity, 20lb fishing line could do the same purpose as a .22 bullet. BUT, you couldn't set multiple snares with a single .22 rifle, or set up an early warning trip wire system/daisy chain, with a dead fall. 300 yards of fishing line could setup a dozen different traps and are reusable if you tie the knots right.

if your running, you could set up multiple snares for the small area your spending the night in, collect firewood and make a temporary shelter for the night and by the time the fire is going, after rubbing 2 sticks together, have a place off the ground, and keep the mildew off, something, somewhere should have been caught, a rabbit, a bird, skunk, racoon, possum, ...something.

in the matter of why your running, it may be easier to pass certain "soberiety" check points and serious questions with a fishing pole and BOBag, than a rifle, in a caliber, where nothing is in season, but fully loaded, ready to rock in roll in a carrying cases sitting between your partner's legs in the cab of the truck.

personally, i'd take a firearm, since it doubles as personal protection, when not hunting. but that wouldn't be allowed. my 2 cents

I lean towards the rifle. there's a full tackle box worth of gear stuck in trees just about every where I've ever fished on top of the film canister fishing kit in the BOB. also for the first 60 miles of my bug out journey the fishing is bad or the water is questionable enough I wouldn't want to eat the fish.