Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

in a bug out situation.......

I was gonna say a rifle because it would serve as protection too, but then as I was reading you put the kibosh on it by stating it could only be used for collecting food.

(With all kinds of sarcasm) WAY TO MESS IT UP FOR ME RICK!B)

Thanks. I love this site. I've learned alot.

your very welcome. you should stop in and post more often. save us guys from ourselves.

im sure we will learn a lot. the ladies always have a slightly different point of view.

(and they show us guys that we dont know everything lol)

there is always a catch isnt ther lol. hey you didnt even pick one though.

Well I guess if i HAVE to pick just one then I'll take a rifle. Without a doubt. If worst comes to worst then I can shoot a fish. I can't hook a deer, or anything like that. (At least without looking silly.)

I do a lot of reading, not much talking, but I could actually respond more. I'll get on that.

If the rifle or fishing pole is my only way of getting meat at all I am positive I want a rifle, give me read meat over fish any day of the week!

Well I guess if i HAVE to pick just one then I'll take a rifle. Without a doubt. If worst comes to worst then I can shoot a fish. I can't hook a deer, or anything like that. (At least without looking silly.)

i look silly every time i hit the water, but i catch my fair share and then some.

i look silly every time i hit the water
Only when you hit the water?

I'm told I generally look silly 95% of the time. I guess water would add to it though.

A weapon/rifle!

Just some humor rick........

Edited by desert rat

A rifle. Around here, it is possible to shoot fish in the creeks etc.(probably not legally) same types of fish as you would get while bow fishing. I'm sure taking small game with a fishing rod is harder than taking a fish with a rifle.

Only when you hit the water?

I'm told I generally look silly 95% of the time. I guess water would add to it though.

A weapon/rifle!

Just some humor rick........

lol how did i miss this one?

no not just in the water but i cant spoil it all for you guys.

ok guys/ladies,

in a bug out situation, which would you rather have with you, a rifle or a fishing rod and why?

this item in this situation can only be used for the collecting of food purpose and nothing more.

I've been out for a bit but I find the answers almost more intriguing than the question. I agree with the choice of the rifle but I'm a tad surprised at the reasons most of you listed. The question was "in a bug out situation".

I'm not sure about you guys but one of the things I like about fishing is the slow pace of everything. I don't want to spend a few stationary hours, catching enough fish for supper in a Bug Out scenario. OK, fishing is definitely quieter than shooting and we didn't discuss caliber (can I have my Sharps?) but I can shoot, dress it, and scoot where I'm stationary until I get enough food, prep it and transport the parts of the fish I may need for bait. Fishing, if possible at a BOL is good, it is quieter and helps maintain Op Sec. During the movement phase, you don't want to stay put for half a day just because you need the protein.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I've been out for a bit but I find the answers almost more intriguing than the question. I agree with the choice of the rifle but I'm a tad surprised at the reasons most of you listed. The question was "in a bug out situation".

I'm not sure about you guys but one of the things I like about fishing is the slow pace of everything. I don't want to spend a few stationary hours, catching enough fish for supper in a Bug Out scenario. OK, fishing is definitely quieter than shooting and we didn't discuss caliber (can I have my Sharps?) but I can shoot, dress it, and scoot where I'm stationary until I get enough food, prep it and transport the parts of the fish I may need for bait. Fishing, if possible at a BOL is good, it is quieter and helps maintain Op Sec. During the movement phase, you don't want to stay put for half a day just because you need the protein.

Just my not so humble opinion.

good reply capt and exactly what i had in mind when i posted this topic. me, i think the rod out weights the usefulness of the rife for this.