Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
killerharp94

Tactical gears.

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. So i am here to discuss what tactical gear brands are suitable. Looking
forward some suggestions, and do make it affordable.

if you go to amazon they have about 20,000 pieces of tactical gear to look through...

welcome to the forum BTW...

Tactical is a word I do not like....it's like " organic" it is very often  just a reason to charge more and results in a product that isn't the best it could be. For instance the "tactical" hawk, the title results in a high cost and features that often interfere with it usefulness in a Hawks number one function, cutting wood. The word also implies "military" "combat" and other things that the preaparedness crowd likes to avoid being labeled with. There are a number of very useful and even "cool" items that are "tactical" but often the better option is a more tradional item. Think about it.... If trying to get yourself or your family out of town do you think looking like a SOF operator will help you blend in the crowd or get you shoot first, arrested, or robbed. The first tactical item needed is the training, knowledge, and skills and with these anything becomes "tactical".

wally, Drew_Forge, P210SIG and 1 other like this

Depends on what you're looking for. We need to narrow some things down first before we start throwing out opinions on "tactical" gear! 

...and believe me, lots of opinions on here! ;)

juzcallmesnake likes this

I am pretty much with DonDon all the stuff I have can be looked on as rural, ranch or camping gear I do go for muted or woodland colors nothing bright as if I need it I don't want to be seen  easily.

Most ranch tools are durable some stores are more for preppies (sweater tied around their neck or an ascot) than preppers IMO.

I am very familiar with water sailing and diving but water is either very safe or ultra dangerous Pirates will reemerge and as far as security a few shots along the water line and your sunk.  It is hard to maneuve and defend in a kayak  or any non motorized watercraft and they are not fast unless you have a boat with a motor that has a hell of a "hole shot" and it would suck fuel like a passenger jet.

I do see water as an option once things shake out or if your boat is mored at the bay already and you can get out quick but figure a lot of other people will have the same idea, the ocean or even the great lakes seem large until you have a bunch of boatniks........ think of a boat, yacht of pylon  race and most will not be prepared with food or stores.   Then there is the weather pleasure craft are not designed for rough weather and if you cannot anchor into the wind or know how and when to employ a sea anchor or can outrace the wind   depending on hull design it is easy to broach or take on water / sink if your bilges cannot handle the incoming water. If you have enough power your can pull the plug and run fast enough to draw out the water coming in and beach her repair the hull and get back underway.   I can see where having some soft and hard wood bungs a sail sock extra battery etc etc  would be a good part of water evasion prepping.

much gear is personal preference as to weight strength and experience.  Experience that is a word that is meaningless without a context, I have had so many that they form a good source of general reference. I have tried to instruct people and have had varying degrees of success as in do they absorb  or have other experience to draw from then there is the fear and confidence of their own nature if your afraid of something your hardly be able to master it's use then there is ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the azz.

I can tell people what to get but if they cannot overcome some of the inherent issues with its use or the knowledge how to effectively use that item --- well you see where I am going ......  so I am with  Drew_Forge good idea but let us keep it in a particular focus we have threads on fire starting etc so see whats missing and start a thread and see where it goes.

wally likes this

A good example is when Smith & Wesson came out with a Tactical pen about 5 years ago, in my area they sold for about $35-40 Canadian funds. A lot of them were sold to folks that didn’t know any better.  A Bic pen for around 25 cents will do the same damage to an aggressor, providing you know where to strike, just as effective in my opinion, without the price tag.

juzcallmesnake and wally like this