Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

sleeping bags.

hey guys.

wanting to get some info up about sleeping bags. what im doing is trying to get some posts up

about different subjects that when a newbie arrives to the sight he or she can do a quick search and find some info about different types of gear. cause if youve noticed, the newbies tend to do some reading before they join the forums. i know i did.

so ive already done the topics of tents and water filters. if you havent read them or can add to them please do so. ok now here we are on sleeping bags.

ok i just bought myself a nice colman bag. its a 50deg bag. ok why such a high rating

some may ask? well im one of those folks that never gets cold. its in the 40's and im still in a tshirt. i already had a fleece sleeping bag liner (which i suggest for everyone) and can/will use that in colder weather as needed. yes its an extra to carry but it roles up nicely with the bag and ya dont notice its there. when not needed it makes a great pillow lol.

i believe it make sense to have your bed roll in layers just like your clothes too should be in layers where needed.

Good call rick. I'm the same as you where I don't tend to get cold to easily but that can change real quick if the weather turns bad and you get wet. so light weight good sleeping bag would be useful but I"m like you and I haven't really used one, at least not since I had sleep overs at friend's houses and I don't think those bags would work to well in the outdoors.

there are all different types of bags out there. some are better used in situations than others.

budget is also a factor in the bag as well. car camping VS backpacking is also something to consider as well.

i dont have a whole lot of experience with the different bag type out there but maybe awake does once he gets in here. a good bag is something your gonna want/need for just about any situation that requires a bug-in or bug-out.

Somebody call? As with most backpacking situations aim for the worst conditions. Here in the SE its usually humid and/or wet. If you have a down bag you can be in trouble fast. Go synthetic in these parts. Even wet they will insulate and they dry at a faster rate. My sleeping system is built for cold weather and i can adjust as needed. I once found myself in a bad situation where the temp hit +5 degrees with 15 mph winds. So i feel very comfortable with this set up. A good tent will add 10 degrees. My bag is a zero degree mummy bag. I have a big Agnes insulated sleep pad. It has 2.5 inches of loft. Last thing i use is a tarp that has one side with heat reflective material. I wrap this around the sleep pad in a way that it reflects cold back down to the ground and heat back to me. You can always add clothing as needed. The trick to sleeping in the cold is to insulate you from the ground, Personally i am a cold sleeper. As the temp rises i can adjust for comfort.

Another thing to look for in a bag is how well you fit in one. Big guys have a few options but more than in past years. Bags are also made for the lady in your life. If you can, get in a bag before you buy it. Zip it up and lay down for several minutes. A great way to compare.

I use my backpacking set up for my BOB/GOOD bag. My GHB i just use the emergency tarp.

Edited by awake

yes, yes we did lol.

good reply for sleeping bags awake. i figured you would have one of the better sleep systems, where mine is just a bag on the ground type deal.

staying off the ground was a great reminder too by the way. in all situations staying off the ground while sleeping seems to be the way to go here. yes bigger guys like me still have hell to pay when it comes to camping gear and clothes lol. things are getting better for us but we are far from out of the woods yet when it comes to choices. down bags are nice and boy are they warm too. your right to suggest a synth bag though. i had a friend who had a down bag. it got wet on him. man that thing was a bear to carry and dry out. he eventually got it dry but started to use it at home incase of power outage and bought a synth bag.

i'll eventually upgrade to a kelty of marmot or something as my needs grow and my options open up.

anybody else have anything to add? questions/comments?

Just in case a person has no budget and is in need.8ft wide 6 or 10 mil plactic X7ft. fold to 4 x 7 glue bottom and one side,incert folded blanket.Yes put anything you can lay your hands on to keep off the ground.Its not pretty but works.

Its a start,once you have a decent bag use the plastic for underneath you.The problem with preping is you realize what you DONT have and the need to get asap.

JMHO

Edited by 101matt

...Bags are also made for the lady in your life...

A while back I discovered 2 person sleeping bags which puts the lady in your life in your sleeping bag. ;) that was a fun camping trip.