Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
juzcallmesnake

3 gun idea revisited

6 posts in this topic

Although not a new topic I am reading many reviews on many firearms that are very inexpensive and been on the market for long enough to consider them durable, inexpensive  and if your not intending to fire thousands of rounds out of them practicing

In interest of economy the firearms I am choosing to pick are inexpensive for people that want a defensive or protection option over expensive firearms. note that a few of  these are IMO BUTT UGLY but all are solid and hard to break and are full power. My opinion is at least one must be a semi auto if you have no weapons and are looking your first should be a semi auto why, because no other reloading method is as fast or less clumsy that a magazine fed pistol.

Hi point pistol semi-automatic  don't buy a .380 because that is the first ammo that was gone during the ammo crisis.

Mosin Nagant rifle bolt action BECAUSE lots of cheap ammo still around powerful enough to take large game.

Maverick 88 shotgun pimp action  and  H&R 1871 Pardner Shotgun this depends on the stature of those using and level of ability to handle recoil 12 ga does kick or invest in low recoil shells.

I would still opt for calibers that are common like the 12ga and 9MM but no matter if your just starting out a 9MM Hi-Point half dozen magazines and a lot of ammo.

DonDon and wally like this

....I'll add the Heritage rough rider single six in .22 lr/ WMR or any number of rifles from savage or Marlin in the samecalibers...under $200 very accurate and will feed you where the  others will defend and take big game (which someone should not pursue unless they have the resources and skills to process and preserve the game properly).

hijack alert....the table (ballistics by the inch) you posted earlier has helped me with an arguement I have been having for years with my Rough Rider....if the velocity increase in the 6" barrel of the WMR ammo is worth the cost, noise, flash and fouling increases.....it seems I was right!

wally and juzcallmesnake like this

I did see that savage had some good alternatives and they are solid firearms.  Marlin I have read where some of the quality control may be lacking, though I have not handled any recent marlin products.

I do agree that one should not take game they are incapable of process, preserve and consume of course saying that I know that even today we have poachers that net and by other means ill off areas of fish and only take game fish and leave the rest, it is also common to find carcasses of deer and other game even farm animals that have been killed and only the back strap and hams are taken. In this case it is because of fear of land owners or game wardens,  in a time WROL hungry people don't think or care they will scramble to snatch portions wile others will only wait for noise that gives away a hunt to sweep in and take the "prize" and may also eliminate the poachers as well as take their game.  People are like wall switches the right pressure and they can and do  turn into animals either herd or predators IMO.

I think ere is a good time to explain that if we look at the models of Columbia or Venezuela there are active purging programs to eliminate street people street urchins and criminals that are not affiliated with their power structure.  Murder squads actively hunt  unwanted or "deplorable's" this is what happens when socioeconomic and political rule fails whats left is just so much food clean water pharmaceuticals and treatment  those will be controlled and sold at the highest price, while common people will be left to their own devices or dog eat dog. To think it would not happen here is total fantasy, if is not if but when.

America may be a Juggernaut of industry and military might but we are not an island our commerce relies on international trade if our currency staggers so goes the world and like dominoes as they fall their buying power slumps and it becomes a ever tightening noose. I pray this never happens again as it has before.   Bread lines have been replaced by food stamps make no mistake it was not the intention to help it was to hide our embarrassment, a nation cannot conduct high level business when visitors see the unwashed in full criminal mode in the streets at high noon.  We see where this is starting to fail as the numbers are too much for the system to deal with the burgeoning inmate population the tidal wave of parolees swelling welfare rolls and drug addicts / addiction filling all of these camps. IMHO we are seeping toward the edge problem is when it happens as it has before it snaps and within days or hours the world will change.

wally likes this

I am certainly in total agreement that HAVING three decent firearms is “the rule”. I would add a .22LR rifle to the mix as well, but, that is my own personal subjectivity sh8ning through.

While I am not going to purchase a High-Point pistol (own selfish reasons), I have shooting buds that have purchased their handgun caliber carbines and rave about them. Yes, I even fired a few mags of 9mm through a bud’s. I would rather have one than nothing, by, my choices clearly do not reflect another’s. 

Last year, I purchased a logistically attractive price point 9mm SCCY pistol. I liked the idea of 10+1 in a small package and another ten round mag being included. It is accurate enough for bad breath encounters, and if used, I wouldn’t feel “bad”, about it sitting in an evidence locker  for who knows how long. It’s a BUG for my uses, and so far, it’s been reliable with the standard pressure JHP rounds I’ve put through it.

However, with the success of the Glock 43 and the S&W 9mm Shield, I see the SCCY as filling a “niche” rather than a need. 

As a very wise mentor once shared with me, “You will never, ever, need a gun, until you need one, badly!”

In my past military service and professional career/s, I’ve seen that adage come true, unfortunately. Others, I was with at various times, were “not gunned up”,and were essentially useless, except as being a field expedient bullet-shagger. (Which did not occur)

Since I still have two hands that are attached and working,  I like the choices and preps I decided on long ago. They work for me. I like having a shotgun handy, as well as a reach out and touch somebody that deserves it rifle, as well as a varmint-vermin .22

Any firearm is better than a stern look.

wally and juzcallmesnake like this

i'm a james w rawles follower and choose a 5 gun battery...

a rifle in .223 or .308

a deer rifle(any caliber)

a 22 rifle

a shotgun in 12 guage

and a pistol (in any caliber)

juzcallmesnake likes this

I like coupling at least one or two calibers like a 22 rifle and pistol or have 2 arms that are the same caliber / make.

It is difficult to read or watch videos about firearms in a prep situation and make a decision on what to buy or to have.  There is no real single  scenario that we can hang our hat on.   Looking to Venezuela and other nations where the population had to defend themselves hunt and survive you become very aware that it is area predicated if you live in the city and your counting on hunting dogs cats and pigeons you need a pellet gun.  Reasons being quiet shot signature.  and just what are people needing to defend themselves from it appears to be roving bands of thieves and home invaders. you would never want the gangs thinking you have disrespected them or you really want to avoid.  We see the police protecting  pro governing events and they do not seem as they are missing any meals either.

for people that have property with access to the woods a 5 gun battery is great . where people that are inner city and do not go beyond the suburbs and do not have contacts to run to and can only hunker down and wait it out even if it does take years like Kosovo or the many cities in Columbia and  Venezuela.  Never think that places like Syria there are no gangs or opportunists that target individuals it is just that the fog of war covers this fact because it is so low on the eminent dangers .  In any slide from a ordered governing body there is a fluid and loose acceptance of black markets gangs and illegality in general if your a cop or a street level soldier a blind eye is better than a stick stuck in it. because yuur in a goldfish bowl so how do you get medications food and other items to keep your family alive, the short answer is to allow a certain amount of trade to move and when you need it you have a resource. That does not mean you have to be a paid asset or protection it is just a matter of keeping your eyes open and it is best to realize that people in power may not like you harming or interfering in some street level affairs.   Today we have CI's or confidential informants that help agencies to ferret out criminality and if you as a citizen starts to make their life hard you may be placing yourself in a situation.

I wish everything was clear cut it ain't the good guys don't all wear white hats and the bad guys may be much worse to approachable as of now in a society with rules and laws people do not have to know or deal with that in an upturn of societal norms that may change, let us hope it stays that way.

wally likes this