Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
juzcallmesnake

Sig M17 /XM17 military pistol and modular system

10 posts in this topic

Sig new military pistol  owners manual

Sids new pistol is impressive from its removable modular trigger group to it's design as well as it comes in 9MM 40S&W 357 Sig and 45ACP

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEWCKgBEF5IWvKriqkDCQgBFQAAiEIYAQ==&rs=AOn4CLCZijfKyWMTO5Ow3k2TZGWK2X2q1Q

it also has different frames including a compact  a firearm for all seasons and reasons.

I hope this Pistol works well and I think it will this M17 or XM17 and all of the modular system looks well engineered its weight is optimal or a full size very minimalistic controls and also has designs that are IMHO from previous individual best pistil designs

The barrel hints of a Browning Hi power  the trapped recoil spring assembly from Glock  the safety activation of a colt ( more natural) The only thing I saw as a mistake is the use of a rifle barrel had I been on the design team I would have went with a polygonal barrel.  This also has other traits of the Beretta as the rotating slide release lever and steel double stacked magazine w/ a easily removable polymer floor plate. The other Glock attributes and I am only guessing is the barrel dropping so there are less chances of jams if any we will see from field tests but I think this design will do well.

I am not a polymer fan personally but when your a soldier you want a reliable easy to field strip and maintain accurate weapon and since your being issued all your gear ( for the most part in some cases you can chose and buy some gear) but I mean in the sense it's not coming out of your pocket you use it and respect it as intended.

The complete system of holster drop leg accessories a  picatinny rail it is supposedly offered with a laser that when it is mounted fits the holster I am on the fence on lasers but in some cases that option is fantastic.

Sig now that is a good company I hope it continues to be so and reproves itself with even more distinction I would have like a Colt but since they have rested on their laurels for over a hundred years the world has passed them by except for individuals who like them and I rank as one but our military needs this more modular w/ fewer parts because their incorporated into well though out assemblies.

For once I agree with the new pistol because it offers multiple calibers grip frames and a holster that can fit all of the above and by what I read it has a stainless slide again it is better as fas as polymer it is as good or IMHO better than aluminum for a frame.

All i care about is our military gets a good pistol.

wally likes this

One of my friend who is a sargent in The Canadian military purchased a P320  about 1 1/2 years ago. I did get to test fire it at the range. I was not impressed at all. The HK VP9 & Walther P99 & PPQ  are way better polymer pistols in my opinion. Oh the Walther PPX is a piece of junk, I’ve seen at least 3 of them have parts & frame issues with less than 2,000 rounds through the barrel. Hope the new Sig pistol serves the US military well, if it was me it would not be my first choice. 

wally likes this

I had a Walther 99 and it was a control issue as I recall that got me to trade it.  The H&K M13 (squeeze cocker) also would dump the magazine too easily.  H&K are good I never liked their long trigger pull and it was BIG there are too many different size people for that to work well in a mass buy one size fits all personally I did like the P9 but it had a single stack and in todays military I think that is a non starter a pistol must have a minimum of 10 rounds if in a 45ACP.

a Pistol and holster must be svelte or if your backing out it should not hang on everything in the building but should have options of extended higher capacity magazines IMO.

All I know is what works for the individual is not a good fit for the military. I really like the MINI 14 but it not for the military, the open top and the bolt recess is too open for all the possible weather mud  and crud encountered in the field but for the civilian it is more than fine I was glad that Ruger has beefed up the barrel for better accuracy.

Back to the Sig the issue of accidental firing when dropped did not apply to the military version as the hammer was lighter and that caused the civilian models trouble, BUT I would not kick it to the curb I would wait on the fix incorporate it / replace the part and collect all the accessories as IMHO that in future make it a very wanted pistol. How can I not like a pistol that can be a compact as well as a full size is a boon for a person that does not want an armory of pistols and does not have the time to master alternate sights and controls the only option I would include would be a 22LR conversion in the mix of calibers, would in my estimation make it extraordinary the pinnacle of pistol design IF it is robust and hiccup free.

I wait with keen anticipation for the outcome of in service trials / use as that is where if there are any problems will come out like ketchup out of a stomped on ketchup packet IMHO. 

wally likes this

The only control issue with some folks  with the P99 ,  would be the paddle mag release, which is beside the trigger guard. I like the system. Walther changed the designs in their 2 Gen PPQ-M2 more so for the North American market. That said I’m comfortable with either mag release design. The only thing I didn’t like was the smooth grip  in the P99, but skateboard tape would fix the issue. Did own a  HK-P7 squeeze cock at one time, sold it to a. club member that offered me money at the time that I just couldn’t refuse. A nice compact firearm indeed.

wally likes this

I've had the opportunity to shoot most polymer pistols out there, and I went out of my way to find a P320. It's my primary EDC gun, and they are phenomenal. Even my diehard Glock buddies who try my P320C are very impressed. I think it's a great choice for the military, though there were other great options in the XM17 trials. 

I've never had a single jam, FTE, stovepipe, or double-feed in my P320, in probably 3-4000 rounds - most of which were handloads with cast lead bullets. its accuracy is as good or better than any other striker-fired pistol I've tried, HK and Walther included. 

I just sent my P320 back to SIG this week for the "voluntary upgrade". I'll do a full write-up on the changes and improvements (if any) that result.

In the meantime, I just wanted to come in and defend the P320's honor. :)

juzcallmesnake likes this

Fortunately for me, I’ve never felt the siren call of the latest and greatest pistol. I have lusted after several, but never fallen under their spell. I came very late to the polymer-party, and went Glock, because the sheer simplicity makes sense to me. Yes, they are YOU-gly, beyond butt ugly, but in my hands, they are accurate, reliable for my needs; and I won’t feel too bad if they have to sit in an evidence locker, if I have to use one for personal defense. I don’t feel that way about my 1911’s nor my BHPs. I would not be happy with them in “time out”, so to speak. So, the Glock fills a role. Even the newest one, a 21SF, yeah, it’s a bit of a behemoth to conceal at times, but I dress around it, since I’ve never been sartorially splendid, it’s OK. I like the 13+1 capacity of older, slower (like me) rounds hitting hard and accurately. 

wally and juzcallmesnake like this

On 2018-02-03 at 9:52 AM, Drew_Forge said:

I've had the opportunity to shoot most polymer pistols out there, and I went out of my way to find a P320. It's my primary EDC gun, and they are phenomenal. Even my diehard Glock buddies who try my P320C are very impressed. I think it's a great choice for the military, though there were other great options in the XM17 trials. 

I've never had a single jam, FTE, stovepipe, or double-feed in my P320, in probably 3-4000 rounds - most of which were handloads with cast lead bullets. its accuracy is as good or better than any other striker-fired pistol I've tried, HK and Walther included. 

I just sent my P320 back to SIG this week for the "voluntary upgrade". I'll do a full write-up on the changes and improvements (if any) that result.

In the meantime, I just wanted to come in and defend the P320's honor. :)

Sorry Drew Forge, in My neck of the woods the Sig P320 doesn’t sell very well. I’ve seen ads in 1 or 2 gun stores selling them for $759 & giving 500 rds of 9mm ammo for FREE , in a package,  just to get rid of them, what they have in stock. Doesn’t say much about the firearm if they giving away ammo with it, in my books. If the SiG P320 is that good or Great, why even throw in free ammo? A firearm should sell it’s self if it’s good without the incentive of giving you free ammo just to sell it, just my 2 cents!

Anyone that want this deal of $759 Canadian funds with 500rds of Free ammo, for a Sig P320 look up Tenda Canada or Go Tenda.

Not sure if they will ship the firearm to USA. 

Go cheack it out if your interested in this package deal, while stock lasts, it’s just not for me.

Odd - P320s, especially the compacts, are difficult to find here in my neck 'o' the woods.

Just got mine back from the "voluntary upgrade" program last week. I brought it to the sandpit over the weekend and ran about 400 handloads and a couple mags' worth of my defense ammo - SIG V-Crown Elite 124 JHP - through it, and it ran like greased lightning. Trigger press is still amazing, and the pistol shoots better than I can. Maligned and practically given away in Canada or not, my P320 experience has been stellar.

Today I had a chance to shoot the SIG  P320 again, it was a total different firearm from the previous one I got to test fire.

The upgrade done to the firearm is nice, I would now consider buying one . 

Drew_Forge and wally like this