Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onetime

polypropelyine longjohns, balaclav, gloves and socks

2 posts in this topic

make a world of difference. So does the polypro bag that i put between the "breathable" and heavy-duty mylar bags. The soft armor boxer shorts and vest  help quite a bit  as insulation from the ground as well as padding on hard surfaces.  Now I'm good down to 20f, no problem in the hammock, or on the ground if there's any debris for padding/insulation. If I had better circulation in my legs, or if i'd use a Dakota fire pit to heat rocks and water bottles, i could go 10F colder.  But then need the super shelter and a fire all night, for colder temps.  If have several pits and use them all night to heat rocks, those rocks will warm  you most of the next day, placed under your hammock, or your raised wooden bed. Thus, no smoke for enemies to see. The later afternoons are typically 15F or more warmer than late at night, and you can usually get away with a Dakota pit fire a bit before dusk, since they'd have to try to find you in the dark.  That is, if you've got night sights and night vision. :-)  Anyone moving in that cold is going to crunch snow or frozen twigs. So the guy who's holding still is a lot more likely to be the one who detects the enemy first.