• ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Recent Topics

• looks like Trump passed his medical and cognitive exams with flying colors i wonder what the left will do now with the 25th amendment?
    • AlGore, has always been all about the money. He, like J@ckson and Sharpton, have found a way to “cash in”. None of then can even spell ethics, much less engage in it.
    • It seems that global warming is a misnomer or better yet a bust.  Weather is NOT a linear thing there are decades that are dry called droughts and rainy seasons even in desert areas.  Climatologists should be very ashamed of themselves for jumping on the global warming bandwagon it is suppose to be a science but they turned it into a side show marketing the Kyoto treaty carbon tax and here again Trump was right by pulling out of the Paris accord  as any fuel and many products would have skyrocketed in price over night. This area sees this kind of weather every 10 to 20 years and I am glad this will kill off many ticks fleas limit insects come spring.  This is a natural defense that helps mankind the earth is an amazing thing it can heal itself and overcome things mankind thinks we need to have a superfund for I would love to see all these "funds" audited, and I bet my bippy they have figured out how to clean them out. just like every other cash cow they make up out of paper telling us all kinds of bedtime stories of how they are looking out for us. We are praying for everyone north it is going to be a long bitter winter and please all of you take safety seriously drive like your bringing your first child home from the hospital try to be a good neighbor check on each other in times like this people trying to stay warm die from carbon monoxide in their homes and sometimes stuck in a snowbank in their vehicles. never use charcoal indoors be very careful with liquid fuels and make sure appliances can be used indoors for heating r cooking purposes, still make sure of proper ventilation.  you can use aluminum foil between your sock and shoe or between 2 socks. just wrap lower foot not the whole foot maybe 3/4 air flow to prevent foot sweating because that will make your feet freeze or get really cold.  Layers and even a slicker suit to cut the wind your vehicle should have supplies in case that your stranded.   
    • Wind in trees is diffused unless its broadside in an open area in hunting distances of less than 200 yards i would keep my hunting shots 100 to max 150 for so many reasons but mainly flight time, bullet performance, back stop /other hunters safety as bullets can travel 1.5 miles take right angles on ricochets so better to be cautious IMO. I have shot most all my groups less than a pack of cigarettes at 300 wind rain (lots of that sh*t) sleet or hail including heat waves or mirage effect. it is beyond 300 where in most people start to have a problem mostly because they do not have access to ranges that long and time to practice. friends of mine all come to the same conclusion that most figure if they can hit a pie plate at a hundred it's good to hunt with and that is scary for the animal I mean  Other accuracy is not vetted on the same curve or rules instead of subsistence it is existence and that is a whole different game and the rules are rough to nonexistent. 
    • well testing continues cans laid down in 2012 only less than 1% had issues it was obvious  indent was weak or puffed up [ can ends] this was remotely stored stable temp in a root cellar.  some items need to be dried / flaked like potatoes highly acidic fruits should be bought in jars like fruits pickles or peppers. My original thought was long term dehydrated or freeze dried got in 2000 and are unaffected .  A can / soda rack oldest first shows the best method for rotation in 2 to 3 years everything shou;d be used and refreshed so there should never be any loss. to refresh the home made desiccant /O2 / oxygen absorbers   patch of 100% cotton piece of 4 ought steel wool about a teaspoon worth {scant drop of water on it}  top with 1/2 teaspoon canning salt wrapped in the cotton patch & tied with bread ties dropped into a quart to a gallon jar to store dried stuff like beans  store in a cool dark place. Steel absorbs oxygen when it turns to rust salt also absorbs dampness all of these including cotton are edible / will not bother you in tiny amounts bot do remove the O2 or Oxygen from inside of containers the size of the absorber would be the internal size of your container and I would use more than just a BIG SINGLE as in a confined space depending on pack density one will not effect the whole area within the lets say a drum. * canning salt has no other elements like Iodine etc. it is also good for canning A good source of "PURE" salt is water treatment (softner) salt you can find it at China mart and harware stores for 5 bucks for 40 pounds get granular not pellets it is more useful in that medium as it is easier to measure /use. store in snap lid 5 gallon buckets with a seal in the lid this lasts as long as the buckets. I buy buckets or get them free from POOL companies these are bleach pucks or pellets I salvage all the dry bleach and place in a single bucket and in / on an area where the runoff will not kill grass or my plants or bleach stone or concrete,  I wash out all the buckets and lids allow to completely dry and seal the lid and store until I need them.   Grain or flour or meal needs to be frozen 10 days wrapped in a large towel and allowed to slowly come to room temperature so as not to absorb moisture from the air after 2 days place in a Mylar bag I get mine from www.beprepared.com Ffill the bag wipe dust from left over inner bag with dry paper towel remove all the air twist bend back to it self and tie very tight with a piece of cord fit into bucket and seal I have used flour after 10 years with no appreciable difference in taste  freezing removes moisture kills insect larvae which is in ALL flours and grains or else you will open your bag and it will be filled with weevils in an emergency you can use a sifter to remove them but why have them at all. Dried bleach / powdered or in pucks CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO GET WET IN A BUCKET !!! THEY WILL BUILD UP HEAT AND GO BOOM !  so make sure if you want to safe it seal the lid well and store in a cool dry place until you need it. Survival is not ONE thing it is  broad base of knowledge it is so vast that I would cut paste and use your office program to make documents print and make a preppers notebook in case you need a hard copy,  as well as save files and videos on a flash drive.  Keeping recipes for quick breads so you do not have to waste hours making old fashion recipes and using a lot of resources too cook, find the best method try and test for taste and how long it lasts. I had a devil of a time tracking down a good pilot rackers  recipe because many use oil and oils get rancid and make the crackers taste very bad, This is why stored crackers after a few onths taste like crap crackers will also absorb scents or even pickup dusty odors so pilot crackers need to be stored in a air tight jar or I buy #10 canned pilot crackers. breads and cakes can be cooked in a Iron skillet under low to medium heat but you need oil / cooking  grease or fat. One last bit is you can buy 5 gallon buckets of cooking lard you can repack in mason jars and can them in a bath canner make sure the edge of the jar is clean before placing the lid before you place them in the bath canner after they cool they will seal or PING those that don't you can reclean the jar edge and use a NEW lid and try again or just use it first --- keep open ones closed in a cool or refrigerated place until you need it. All of you thinking you don't use "LARD" or need it think again, manufactured "FOOD" like twink'les and other such items use all kinds of oils greases and saturated and non saturated oils and fats  labeled in such a way you have no idea that they are actually FAT. some are very bad for your cholesterol count !  the best pie crust is made from flour pinch of salt and using a dough cutter cutting in "lard" there is also vegetable lard as it does not burn as easily as butter. it is flaky light and OH SO GOOD ! for cobblers pies and Quiche's although Quiche is not considered a Man's food (thats just silly) it is a good way to use up excess eggs before they go bad and make them into a good hearty meal you can add left over meat vegetables and greens in them. Frying was a way to add texture flavor and caloric value like gravy potatoes and breads  in the old world people actually worked in all kinds of weather and needed the extra fat and calories to sustain them in hard labor over hours in the cold you body need fats and oils to make your skin elastic and build most every type of cell by converting it to collagen the basic building block for all cells. I have eaten "fried" biscuits over a coal fire cooked in an iron skillet because we were camping and had no oven made cake in a dutch oven  I guess if i had to make an extended camp or old homestead I would have a griddle fry pan 2/ lid and a dutch oven in cast iron they are heavy but nothing cooks like cast iron after you wipe it out wipe on a bit of lard heat it and store it for the next use it does not need to be "washed" the seasoning "baked on oil" makes it fairly non stick a hot pan sticks less start from a cold pan will stick every time. Dutch ovens can be hung over the fore with a triple tree on a chain placed in or buried in the coals or next to them as tour heat recipes needs allow. accessories should be a stainless spatula regular spoon, slotted spoon, ladle and carving fork a measuring cup flour sifter flour bucket or can w/ lid  chain hook on each end  and three legged  "dog"   to hold your pot and kettle over the fire you need a bowl for making bread a cutting board and a rolling pin and your going to need a big mule to haul all of it including tents tarps and sheets I would carry stainless mess trays and coffee cups as well as a coffee pot with peculator "guts"  at least 12 cups as you need hot water for cleaning scalding hot drinks and to tote water OH and a stainless bucket. just remember everything is HOT and needs a glove rag or mitt to handle we ain't talking prissy kitchen cooking of today !